Richie Richardson

Just watching Captains Log on Sky Sports with him.

One my favourite players growing up, always looked cool as fuck batting in his sun hat against the quicks too. Took over the WIndies captaincy at a difficult time which ultimately pushed him to early retirement.

Whats the memories of other’s about him?

Remember my Dad having a video of England’s tour to the WIndies in 89/90 which I used to watch religiously as a kid. Will never forget the 100 Richie scored in the first ODI in which one of the clinching shots was a one handed straight 6 😎

He was pro at Burnmoor, must have been early 90s, remember one time playing against him and he was caught behind in the first over of the match and started walking only for the umpire to call a no ball, our keeper threw it to our short leg who ran him out!

Our captain thought that was bad crack so called him back.

Couple of hours later Richardson had scored 156!

Also he was pro at Gateshead Fell before Burnmoor.

Last edited:
He was pro at Burnmoor, must have been early 90s, remember one time playing against him and he was caught behind in the first over of the match and started walking only for the umpire to call a no ball, our keeper threw it to our short leg who ran him out!

Our captain thought that was bad crack so called him back.

Couple of hours later Richardson had scored 156!

Also he was pro at Gateshead Fell before Burnmoor.
Wouldn’t have happened in the hundred

Wasn't he overseas pro for Yorkshire for a bit? I can remember watching him as a kid and he just looked so cool and calm batting, can't even imagine wearing a floppy hat to bat in nowadays

Yes,and the opposing captain wasn't averse to recalling a batsman if they were certain he'd been incorrectly given out. True spirit of cricket in those days. Aussies started the 'no walking'.

Exactly captains upheld the spirit of the game! now walking is actually frowned upon by a lot of fans, could be wrong but sure Stokes walked in a test match this summer and was criticised on here.

You right about the Aussies mind, apart from Gilchrist who I seem to remember walked in a World Cup semi final.

Saw all of the Test in early 90s v Windies at Edgbaston.
Richardson was a brilliant player, out of form and then scored a 100.

My mate had Bart Simpson balloon, which was bouncing about a bit in the wind.
He got a tap on the shoulder from a West Indian sitting behind him, who told him.
"Either put down the balloon or take it to the playground!"
Class

Same game, Windies only needed 150 to win, which seemed a breeze.
But then we had them 29-3 and thought we had a chance.
Still remember Viv Richards strolling arrogantly to the wicket at number 5.
That was that.
Lost soon after...

Back