Richie Richardson

Sadly Bill Parker passed away aged 68 some 5 years ago RIP. His spell at the Fell was short-lived,half a season, and long before Richie Richardson's time.

Sadly Bill Parker passed away aged 68 some 5 years ago RIP. His spell at the Fell was short-lived,half a season, and long before Richie Richardson's time.
Yes long before Richardson's time in N.E.
Billy was, for 3yrs I think, (70, 71 & 72) P.E. teacher at Westoe Sch. We had no net facilities, but their was a narrow ally between science/art block and outer wall. Many a lunchtime was spent by ourselves bowling down the ally at Billy. He would always put 10 pence behind the stumps, bowl him and you got the coin. Talk about slave labour.

Yes long before Richardson's time in N.E.
Billy was, for 3yrs I think, (70, 71 & 72) P.E. teacher at Westoe Sch. We had no net facilities, but their was a narrow ally between science/art block and outer wall. Many a lunchtime was spent by ourselves bowling down the ally at Billy. He would always put 10 pence behind the stumps, bowl him and you got the coin. Talk about slave labour.
Yeh, or 2 shilling as it were,not a pittance in those days. Did he use a stump as a bat?

No the only times I remember the stump being used as a bat would be at the annual Aug Bank Holiday fun day/gymkharna at Wood Terrace. Decimilisation was 71 wasn't it?
Yes,Feb 71 so they would have been 10p by then but Bill,like most for a few years,probably still called it two bob.
Bill used a stump in staff v boys matches later at Mortimer and once suffered the ignominy of being clean bowled with the whole school looking on.

Yes,Feb 71 so they would have been 10p by then but Bill,like most for a few years,probably still called it two bob.
Bill used a stump in staff v boys matches later at Mortimer and once suffered the ignominy of being clean bowled with the whole school looking on.
I played in a staff v boys match at Mortimer. We went there for our final yr after Westoe closed. Ian Reynolds looked after the school cricket team in my year there, tho Bill had joined the Mortimer staff that Sept too. Think between his time at Westoe and Mortimer he had two yrs at Chuter Ede.

Back