Rhys Walsh - new signing

To be fair to you marra a few did -young uns need a run of games .Ba for me is another -in fact in my humble probably needs our backing more than Jack Clarke -Ba looks like a total “ confidence “ young lad -really hope he doesn’t get dropped Sat as I think he too will come good if he is shown faith .
He seems like he ( Jack ) is happy here -if he does move for big bucks I really hope for him he kicks on -sometimes a club just fits a player .Great to watch is Clarkey
Ba has been shown plenty of faith tbf, he’s featured in 54 league games for us so far. How many games does it take to come good? He’s got time on his side of course but he’s not developing very quickly and still looks incredibly raw, something I’d expect to have improved within 54 games (imo of course).

Think he needs to make himself a fixture in the u21s first. That in itself is a step up from the level he's playing at the minute in the u18s
Absolutely this. The comparisons to Clarke is obvious but can be a bit too much. He needs to be dominating 21s before any calls of promote to the 1st team. Same for the likes of trey too. At present we see glimpses of quality in the 18s and that's not enough to be thrown in. It's a huge gulf never mind what happens day in day out in training too.

Not on loan he wouldn't.
I disagree. We’d have payed a lot of money for 5 months of a player past his prime who doesn’t suit the style of play we have, who wouldn’t have moved locally so would be travelling large distances each week, whilst it would have upset the wage structure for others without creating long term value. He went to Ipswich because he’d played there before, he didn’t have to move too far and he suits their style of play. He will score goals there that he wouldn’t score here. The lad we should have been all over from the start of January was the other forward Ipswich signed - the one from Wimbledon - he’d have been perfect for us.

You know the 4 times the ball bounced off Burstow and Boro got possession again when we couldn’t string 2 passes together in Sunday ? Imagine that not happening…
I’ve said many times that Burstow should be nowhere near the first team. Moore would have been a shit signing for our club at the moment. There are plenty of other much younger forwards who would have helped on Sunday If we’d signed them. FFS - playing either Roberts or Rusyn from the start on Sunday would have helped. Start with picking your best players … imagine that happening! Just because we are stuck with Burstow wouldn’t have made Moore a good signing. As I’ve said to someone else, we should have been all over the lad they signed from Wimbledon.

I could simply reply - Based on his performances in his first few months with us in League One, Clarke looked way off McGeady levels and not ready for the first team. He showed a lot of potential though. The rest is history, as they say.
He didn't in my opinion, some were over critical of him though, some bizarrely still are.

Going back to Watson, Gillingham are an average academy size, against Swindon who have a quality side, he found it difficult. I agree he has lots of potential, but it was a wake up call that.

Last edited:
Ba has been shown plenty of faith tbf, he’s featured in 54 league games for us so far. How many games does it take to come good? He’s got time on his side of course but he’s not developing very quickly and still looks incredibly raw, something I’d expect to have improved within 54 games (imo of course).
Completely disagree with this mind. He hasn’t really been given a consistent run of games. It’s obvious to see he’s improved aswell.
The 54 games gives a false representation. He’s played the equivalent of 24 full games in those appearances, many of them have came when Mowbray chucked him on with 3/4 players and they all looked lost.

In the last few weeks alone he was one of our best players down Ipswich and again against Stoke. Despite his shocker of a miss he had a good game against Boro and also did more in 5 minutes against the Mags than most aswell.

He’s still pretty raw but he’s improved massively since he arrived and is still very much a kid.

He didn't in my opinion, some were over critical of him though, some bizarrely still are.

Going back to Watson, Gillingham are an average academy size, against Swindon who have a quality side, he found it difficult. I agree he has lots of potential, but it was a wake up call that.
In his first 8 games, he started only 2, scored 0, assisted 0, and we won 1 (game already won when he came off the bench with 10 mins left), during a period that we were really missing McGeady. He started coming good when he got a proper run in the team, but he’d been with us for a couple of months by then.

As for Watson, you can say the same for Rigg - in fact Rigg struggled against Gillingham too. If they are still with us at the of the summer, both will be permanent fixtures in our first team squad next season. IMO.

Back to this signing. I think we should be very active in Ireland looking for young players. There's definitely some talent to be found there
Can't sign any young lads from the Republic until they are 18 now . A lot of them are heading to teams around the continent now . Can see the likes of man City or Brighton using there affiliated teams to snap them up young . Mason Melia and the two Umeh brothers are the latest to be bigged up over here . Think one of the brothers is off to benfica .

Last edited:
I disagree. We’d have payed a lot of money for 5 months of a player past his prime who doesn’t suit the style of play we have, who wouldn’t have moved locally so would be travelling large distances each week, whilst it would have upset the wage structure for others without creating long term value. He went to Ipswich because he’d played there before, he didn’t have to move too far and he suits their style of play. He will score goals there that he wouldn’t score here. The lad we should have been all over from the start of January was the other forward Ipswich signed - the one from Wimbledon - he’d have been perfect for us.
it woulfdnt be a lot of money as a loan though..

it woulfdnt be a lot of money as a loan though..
Would have been best part of £1m for 4 months wages and loan fee. Plus hotel bill for 4 months. Then all the other players knowing that you’re prepared to pay up to £30k a week for him when they are mostly on £10k or under. Sounds like a lot of money for a club that you keep telling us is being propped up by owner funding.

Would have been best part of £1m for 4 months wages and loan fee. Plus hotel bill for 4 months. Then all the other players knowing that you’re prepared to pay up to £30k a week for him when they are mostly on £10k or under. Sounds like a lot of money for a club that you keep telling us is being propped up by owner funding.
Were the players up in arms about amads wages last year?
But like I said doesn't necessarily mean we lose the ones that don't work for nothing. Such as Lihadji, where we made a profit.
What did we make on lihadji? It's all been pretty secretive

Last edited:
Can't sign any young lads from the Republic until they are 18 now . A lot of them are heading to teams around the continent now . Can see the likes of man City or Brighton using there affiliated teams to snap them up young . Mason Melia and the two Umeh brothers are the latest to be bigged up over here . Think one of the brothers is off to benfica .

That's bleeding brixet for you!

Back