Return to the office campaign...

Had a meeting with my manager today. Office back open for anyone who wants to come in as long as it's not over 50% capacity. About 1/3 of the team who live nearby are coming back in. The rest of us likely to be in 1 or 2 days a week once restrictions are lifted.

Said this before, but my commute and 'dead' lunch hour (2.5 hours a day in total) works out at about 24 days throughout the year :eek: . Mad to think about, now have that much time back in my life.
Still not been in the office since last March. Absolutely love working from home now, save 2 hours a day on commuting and use some of that time to use the gym I've got set up in the spare room whereas I was too tired/lazy to go to the gym after work when in the office.

Extra time exercising, getting the boring housework done or like today, in the beer garden at 5.05. Long may it continue.

Last edited:
Still not been in the office since last March. Absolutely love working from home now, save 2 hours a day on commuting and use some of that time to use the gym I've got set up in the spare room whereas I was too tired/lazy to go to the gym after work when in the office.
You could use the extra time to do more work. This is the problem with working from home, going to Asda, getting a haircut, going to the gym, watching Bargain Hunt always seems to take priority
Had a meeting with my manager today. Office back open for anyone who wants to come in as long as it's not over 50% capacity. About 1/3 of the team who live nearby are coming back in. The rest of us likely to be in 1 or 2 days a week once restrictions are lifted.

Said this before, but my commute and 'dead' lunch hour (2.5 hours a day in total) works out at about 24 days throughout the year :eek: . Mad to think about, now have that much time back in my life.

Extra time exercising, getting the boring housework done or like today, in the beer garden at 5.05. Long may it continue.
and there we go

Was there something particular you searched for to find a WFH job? On the job sites I’ve looked at, they still tend to be location based.
Internal transfer within my current employer. Big career change after doing one type of job for the past 20 years.
This is the problem with working from home, going to Asda, getting a haircut, going to the gym, watching Bargain Hunt always seems to take priority
Sounds like you have your priorities wrong

Last edited:
You could use the extra time to do more work. This is the problem with working from home, going to Asda, getting a haircut, going to the gym, watching Bargain Hunt always seems to take priority

and there we go

Madness that like :lol:

I never got paid for my commute to work, nor was I doing any actual work. Just sitting in traffic.

Eh? Why would you willingly work an extra 2 hours everyday for free? What a mentalist.
depends on the type of job though. I worked around 2 1/2-3 hours late last night. Was doing something I quite enjoyed though and in the job I am in there are peaks and troughs and as long as its known you are willing to be there when it matters then I can rock up at lunchtime on days when it doesn't

Why would anyone want to do more work? :lol: Sadcase behaviour.

I understand wanting to do more work if you’re self employed / run your own company / or on fantastic overtime pay, but never grasped why mates would slave their guts out for their boss for no reason other than kudos. Even now, there’s a couple of lads who’ll sit at their desks for an extra half hour - with nothing to actually do - just to look diligent, while we’ve already sat and had two pints in the sun.

If you’re not getting paid yourself, youre lining someone else’s pocket. Screw ‘em.

depends on the type of job though. I worked around 2 1/2-3 hours late last night. Was doing something I quite enjoyed though and in the job I am in there are peaks and troughs and as long as its known you are willing to be there when it matters then I can rock up at lunchtime on days when it doesn't
I don't mind working late but I'll be taking an early finish the following day or Friday.

What this lad seems to be saying is why aren't you working your breaks and time saved by not driving to the office? Which is absolutely mental given you aren't paid for that time.

Been in 3 days this week and 2 from home. Very likely my regular working pattern going forward. Lovely to be back in a nice cool office. Having the mix makes you appreciate the working from home days more. Total working from home was eventually dragging me down.

I don't mind working late but I'll be taking an early finish the following day or Friday.

What this lad seems to be saying is why aren't you working your breaks and time saved by not driving to the office? Which is absolutely mental given you aren't paid for that time.
That is how it should be. I discourage my staff from working extra. If they do I make sure they are thanked and there is one who is doing a lot extra consistently. I have talked to him about reducing his workload. I do operate on that idea of flexibility though. If someone wants to work extra, build up a bit of TOIL and then have short days, half days etc, I'm fine with that. I find it makes people more productive and gives that good will so when we do have a problem they are willing to do that bit extra.

Sitting doing nowt and not getting paid just to be seen in your chair seems daft.

Back