Replacing Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should be about 22 when JD hangs up his boots.
Will we keep Asoro that long and will he make the progress ready to step up?

I don't think he'll be that old when Defoe finishes and he'll be involved next season. I'd like to think he will make the grade, In his age group, he looks special.

I think we have other areas of the pitch that we need to be worried about before we start worrying about replacing Defoe.

For what it is worth, if for whatever reason Defoe doesnt play, i would play Borini as the central striker in his place.

Not sure I want a like for like replacement. He's a goal machine but he does limit options. Shane Long for me. No where near prolific but a bit more accomplished in contributing to build up and ball retention. Fortunately, Defoe looks like he's got yet another season in him after this. The guy looks after himself so here's to him banging in goal for a at least another season.

Every player should be dead on their feet at full time. It's a relegation fight. Running themselves into the ground is what they all should be doing. He's just being a pro.
Shane long is ridiculously overrated on here I don't think he's even ever hit double figures

Shane long is ridiculously overrated on here I don't think he's even ever hit double figures

He has btw, last season.

With nowt to spend we ain't getting a goalscorer. Folk should forget that idea. It's delusional. We probably wouldn't get one if we had the cash.

In a team we score few goals we need a striker to score loads he doesn't

Who then? remember the nowt you've got to spend. Who? Lot of people on this site are quick to call people wrong but weak as piss at offering a solution.

He has btw, last season.

With nowt to spend we ain't getting a goalscorer. Folk should forget that idea. It's delusional. We probably wouldn't get one if we had the cash.

Who then? remember the nowt you've got to spend. Who? Lot of people on this site are quick to call people wrong but weak as piss at offering a solution.
It's called having an opinion

It's called having an opinion

I'm asking for your opinion. Who? All you've done is give an opinion on my opinion, what's your opinion on the replacement. You know, the subject matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP has a fair point.

SAFC has absolutely no interest in such long-term planning, however.

He has btw, last season.

So
You want to replace Defoe with a non goalscorer somyour not really replacing him really are u

Long would struggle to get 10 for us if he did and we got a few centre midfielders who chipped in fair enough

We might not even to be able to afford Long. Things are bad but how bad? Suppose we'll see if we stay up. Finding a forward who'll hit double figures is expensive. Only 12 cfs managed double figures last season, half of whom are at top clubs on massive wages. Goal scoring strikers a rare these days, they're expensive and in high demand. Need to be realistic and look for somebody who can get others scoring. People hoping for a scorer seem a bit out of touch with what's realistic and achievable.

So
You want to replace Defoe with a non goalscorer somyour not really replacing him really are u

Well as I've clearly stated i don't think we'll find a like for like, I obviously mean replacing as in his place in the side.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I think he has a good few seasons left in him yet (unless he gets a bad injury) Big Vic and Borini will be learning loads off him as well as young Watmore.

Seriously, watch him. He runs himself into the ground for the team. Perhaps too much. But yes, it looks like he is.
Maybe if we can buy some decent midfielders who can control the ball he won't have to run himself into the ground as much, and we can get longer out of him.

Obviously, this is going to be incredibly difficult and likely not possible in a like-for-like sense. This means we need to start planning for when his wheels eventually fall off. He's starting to show signs of tiring in games this season. I can't imagine he's going to lose his ability to put the ball in the back of the net if/when the ball lands to him but the way that happens may need to change in the short to medium term.

I hope we don't fall into a similar trap where we needed to bring Brown out of almost semi-retirement last year (and to a lesser extent, O'Shea this year) because we don't have any other options.

It'll be interesting to see what Moyes does in the summer should we manage to stay up again. I think we'll be lucky to get another full season after this one of Defoe being a regular starter.
Deserves a bump, the more intelligence we can get the better especially if Moyes :cool:reads it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back