Replacing Defoe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lonz

Striker
Obviously, this is going to be incredibly difficult and likely not possible in a like-for-like sense. This means we need to start planning for when his wheels eventually fall off. He's starting to show signs of tiring in games this season. I can't imagine he's going to lose his ability to put the ball in the back of the net if/when the ball lands to him but the way that happens may need to change in the short to medium term.

I hope we don't fall into a similar trap where we needed to bring Brown out of almost semi-retirement last year (and to a lesser extent, O'Shea this year) because we don't have any other options.

It'll be interesting to see what Moyes does in the summer should we manage to stay up again. I think we'll be lucky to get another full season after this one of Defoe being a regular starter.

Obviously, this is going to be incredibly difficult and likely not possible in a like-for-like sense. This means we need to start planning for when his wheels eventually fall off. He's starting to show signs of tiring in games this season. I can't imagine he's going to lose his ability to put the ball in the back of the net if/when the ball lands to him but the way that happens may need to change in the short to medium term.

I hope we don't fall into a similar trap where we needed to bring Brown out of almost semi-retirement last year (and to a lesser extent, O'Shea this year) because we don't have any other options.

It'll be interesting to see what Moyes does in the summer should we manage to stay up again. I think we'll be lucky to get another full season after this one of Defoe being a regular starter.
Is he?

Not sure I want a like for like replacement. He's a goal machine but he does limit options. Shane Long for me. No where near prolific but a bit more accomplished in contributing to build up and ball retention. Fortunately, Defoe looks like he's got yet another season in him after this. The guy looks after himself so here's to him banging in goal for a at least another season.

Seriously, watch him. He runs himself into the ground for the team. Perhaps too much. But yes, it looks like he is.

Every player should be dead on their feet at full time. It's a relegation fight. Running themselves into the ground is what they all should be doing. He's just being a pro.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure I want a like for like replacement. He's a goal machine but he does limit options. Shane Long for me. No where near prolific but a bit more accomplished in contributing to build up and ball retention. Fortunately, Defoe looks like he's got yet another season in him after this. The guy looks after himself so here's to him banging in goal for a at least another season.
He's getting tired after running around for 90mins now. He's nearly finished

Eh?

He has got years left

I agree with your point that we need to look to replace him in advance of when he retires, but two points about the tiredness comment, a) I can honestly say I haven't noticed, and b) even if he is so what? He's one of the fittest players in that squad and even if he does tire a little I would hope that's natural because of the work rate he puts in and nowt to do with age.

Seriously, watch him. He runs himself into the ground for the team. Perhaps too much. But yes, it looks like he is.
I hardly get to the games so i hold my hands up to someone who sees more than me, but when i do see him, i just see it as he conserves his energy to make the right runs at the right time, instead of chasing down players all the time. He has looked as sharp as ever to me to be honest

He could still do a job off the bench for any of the top 4 IMHO imagine if he got 5 to 10 chances per game like top team strikers tend to get.
Would not blame him for moving on next season but no way he finished he will still get double figures next season n o matter who he plays for hope its us

He's getting tired after running around for 90mins now. He's nearly finished

As he should be, they all should be. This is a relegation battle. Everyone of them should be ready drop at 90 minutes. How they recover, that's how you should gauge it. He's playing 90 minutes every game giving 100%, he's recovering fine. What the hell do you want from him?

He could still do a job off the bench for any of the top 4 IMHO imagine if he got 5 to 10 chances per game like top team strikers tend to get.
Would not blame him for moving on next season but no way he finished he will still get double figures next season n o matter who he plays for hope its us
To be fair, most top sides come up against teams that are entrenched in their own defensive area. Defoe benefits when games are stretched, that's when his excellent finishing and subtle movement can be used to devastating effect.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope so, I just hope the club doesn't get complacent around it.

I suppose the question that should be asked is similar. What are our plans if he gets injured?

Eh?

He has got years left
I hope so, but realistically, the older you get the greater the effect things like knocks and other injuries have. I'm not saying he's finished, I'm saying we need to plan for the future.

I suppose the question that should be asked is similar. What are our plans if he gets injured?
Also a fair question. Thankfully Anichebe is looking useful for the short term but there's no certainty over whether his form will continue or whether he'd sign permanently at the end of the season and kick on from here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back