Rental/tenancy deposit question

Status
Not open for further replies.

The robbing bastards are applying to take £650 off my deposit.

Shortened blind cord - £10 :lol:

I remember one place years ago where the inventory listed "Plant pot (broken)" as one of the contents of the hall cupboard. It wasn't there when we moved out and they wanted to charge us for it.

Go on the shelter website they have letter templates for this.

Do everything in writing/email.

Any extra costs should’ve been pointed out at checkout. If the the clerk and you have signed off the inventory the landlord cannot invent costs after the fact, should’ve been picked up by the clerk at the time.

You can claim the undisputed balance of your deposit minus agreed cleaning costs immediately, you can appeal for any disputed balance.

Jesus wept
In the checkout report was the line "Debris on bed" which featured a photo of a square of green cardboard approximately the size of half a fingernail. :lol:

This is war!

I remember one place years ago where the inventory listed "Plant pot (broken)" as one of the contents of the hall cupboard. It wasn't there when we moved out and they wanted to charge us for it.
That's the level we're talking about here.

"We kindly provided you with a random selection of kitchen items, including an array of bizarre tea trays that you will move into the spare room cupboard for the duration of your tenancy. One is missing - £25"

Last edited:
UPDATE: they very kindly budged and moved from £658 to £600, while I decided to offer to meet them in the middle at £16.10. :lol:

So it now has to go to an independent arbitrator, who has requested evidence from both of us.

Anyone have experience of this process? What kind of thing should I be looking to send in to them? At the moment I'm thinking of a short document which gives a bit of background/context and then addresses each claim point by point with reference to evidence (emails, invoices, inventory, checkout report) that I'll supply in an appendix. Would that be sensible?

Would be grateful for any guidance on this as I want to make it as easy as possible to make my case to the arbitrator without them wading through reams of paper.

Cheers!

UPDATE: they very kindly budged and moved from £658 to £600, while I decided to offer to meet them in the middle at £16.10. :lol:

Cheers!
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Did you take photos at checkout yourself?

I'd break down everything they've stated upto this point and even if you are not at fault, give a cost of the replacement, but state whether you feel responsible or not and why. Also make use of 'general wear and tear' for anything you can.

What did they say at checkout?

Hope you get something sorted soon! It's a right carry on.

Our landlord charged us for replacing his mattress. Claimed that we had got rid of his and brought in a new one, so charged us for missing item and cost of removing the new one. Think a lot of time they just try and claim for certain things in the hope that people can't be arsed to argue against it.

I had a landlord try to charge me once because the rotten old shed in the garden had completely fallen apart, so I replaced it with a like for like brand new one out of my own pocket, he claimed the old one had sentimental value.

Oh and after the white walls in the kitchen needed freshening so we checked our agreement with the letting agent who confirmed that any neutral colour would be satisfactory for us to repaint.

We chose a very light grey, he tried to charge us to repaint them back to white, as grey is "not neutral", despite being practically the f***ing definition of neutral and also for the removal of the grey paint as we'd used silk and he wanted matt emulsion and it doesn't paint over the same.

Needless to say he was told to get fucked and the dispute service agreed.

Letting agents because they're not regulated can basically take the piss and they're giving the whole lettings business a really bad name.

There are good and bad tenants out there, but it seems that there is nothing but bad agents. I stopped using an agent for my flat, they are less than useless, and even take the piss out of the owners with stupid bills for basic maintetance work. Would never get me using an agent to manage my property again.

Feeling pretty lucky reading this thread. Only rented once but we were there 4 year and had no bother.

A mate of mine was just given notice to move out of his house at the end of his initial 6 month tenancy agreement because the landlord wanted to move back in. All the hassle of having to pay another set of deposit, admin and moving fees 6 months after he last did it. That's without the lack of options he had looking for somewhere to move to.

Feeling pretty lucky reading this thread. Only rented once but we were there 4 year and had no bother.

A mate of mine was just given notice to move out of his house at the end of his initial 6 month tenancy agreement because the landlord wanted to move back in. All the hassle of having to pay another set of deposit, admin and moving fees 6 months after he last did it. That's without the lack of options he had looking for somewhere to move to.
yup. our lass (no), soon to be ex dropped a clanger 2 week ago, and in that time i've had to find a new place, get the referencing done and find 1700 quid. the money involved is insane.

Ah god that sounds like a nightmare, hope you've got plenty of evidence and hope they find in your favour. I fell really lucky, only rented once (in Sunderland) and the private landlord was class; sorted things straight away and when I moved out only took about fifty quid off for cleaning and other really minor things (which was needed, I tried to clean it myself but I'm far from a professional). Offered to write me a really good reference if I ever needed to rent somewhere else. Sometimes landlords get a lot of stick and in your case it seems fully justified, just a shame the good ones don't seem to be highlighted sometimes, I know I'd always rather move in somewhere where previous tenants felt they'd been fairly treated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back