Regarding the environment, are we fucked?

Are you fit & well mate ? I notice there has been a fair bit of earth crust activity in your region and haven't noticed you posting for a good few days.
Thanks for checking. I am well, pal. Just super busy at work so I haven't had time to post on here recently. It's probably going to be like that for a while. The person that we hired to replace me in the role of HR Manager didn't quite work out so I am back to interviewing for the position. So currently wearing 2, no 3, different hats at work which has me running around and working a lot.

But I'm alive and kicking. Just busy.

Thanks again for checking in on me, though, much appreciate it.
 

SAFCOldie

Striker
Thanks for checking. I am well, pal. Just super busy at work so I haven't had time to post on here recently. It's probably going to be like that for a while. The person that we hired to replace me in the role of HR Manager didn't quite work out so I am back to interviewing for the position. So currently wearing 2, no 3, different hats at work which has me running around and working a lot.

But I'm alive and kicking. Just busy.

Thanks again for checking in on me, though, much appreciate it.
I was sure you were okay buddy. I was going to check and see if you had any stuff going on with these earthquakes but you hadn't posted so just got a bit concerned...I did some research afterwards and largely even massive EQ's aren't a problem, I think being in UK we just fear the worst with that sort of thing ;)
 
I was sure you were okay buddy. I was going to check and see if you had any stuff going on with these earthquakes but you hadn't posted so just got a bit concerned...I did some research afterwards and largely even massive EQ's aren't a problem, I think being in UK we just fear the worst with that sort of thing ;)
Everyone gets freaked out when they happen that often, though. Even people who have lived here all their lives. You should see how many stores are selling earthquake preparedness kits and people are paying a pretty penny for them. They are concerning, but the store take advantage of that fear. It's kinda disgusting.
 

My Boy Harry

Striker
Not again

In the 1970s the big fear was global cooling and now its global warming

The earth has heated up and cooled down for billions of years and that won’t be changing any time soon

Man currently occupies somewhere between 3% and 10% of the earths surface dependent on who you believe and at least the other 90% is water, forest, jungle and desert

Give it 20 years and we will be back to global cooling again
 
Not again

In the 1970s the big fear was global cooling and now its global warming

The earth has heated up and cooled down for billions of years and that won’t be changing any time soon

Man currently occupies somewhere between 3% and 10% of the earths surface dependent on who you believe and at least the other 90% is water, forest, jungle and desert

Give it 20 years and we will be back to global cooling again
This may be true but why use it to pooh-pooh the argument if it's true it highlights the challenge facing us.

Nine of the ten hottest years on record, since 2005, the last five being the top five. Unless you think this is going to flip soon, it's partially irrelevant whether its caused by man or not. I say partially, as if we can't combat it be reducing pollution, we will need to pull something out of the bag.
 

My Boy Harry

Striker
This may be true but why use it to pooh-pooh the argument if it's true it highlights the challenge facing us.

Nine of the ten hottest years on record, since 2005, the last five being the top five. Unless you think this is going to flip soon, it's partially irrelevant whether its caused by man or not. I say partially, as if we can't combat it be reducing pollution, we will need to pull something out of the bag.
No one Of course has mentioned the geo political angle in all of this. As the USA and Europe gets overtaken by the likes of India and China the former remain desperate to ensure that the industrialisation of the latter is delayed or curtailed

It’s ok for Europe and the USA to industrialise but no one else. Hence our desperation to push forward the climate change agenda

China I note has been mentioned as a big bad wolf in all of this
 

taipeisafc

Winger
Was in China last week and they do what they want to do.
They are without doubt the number one Country that need to contribute.
Whilst spending more than anyone else on renewables, i am impressed you saw China in a week mind been here 11 years and still only scratched the surface. They do need to do more but compared to the rest of the world they are doing a lot but with 1.3 billion people it is challenging.

No one Of course has mentioned the geo political angle in all of this. As the USA and Europe gets overtaken by the likes of India and China the former remain desperate to ensure that the industrialisation of the latter is delayed or curtailed

It’s ok for Europe and the USA to industrialise but no one else. Hence our desperation to push forward the climate change agenda

China I note has been mentioned as a big bad wolf in all of this
Excellent post IMO
 
No one Of course has mentioned the geo political angle in all of this. As the USA and Europe gets overtaken by the likes of India and China the former remain desperate to ensure that the industrialisation of the latter is delayed or curtailed

It’s ok for Europe and the USA to industrialise but no one else. Hence our desperation to push forward the climate change agenda

China I note has been mentioned as a big bad wolf in all of this
Surely the developing world undergoing industrialisation is old news. We've been exporting our manufacturing and mining to them for decades. Climate change will most likely affect those nations more directly, so they probably need to get with the program.

As for China, it's only as bad as the UK and probably going to improve a lot sooner, just the size of the country means it has a bigger effect.
 
Whilst spending more than anyone else on renewables, i am impressed you saw China in a week mind been here 11 years and still only scratched the surface. They do need to do more but compared to the rest of the world they are doing a lot but with 1.3 billion people it is challenging.



Excellent post IMO

How do you cope living with all those people? Not for me.
Was at Ningbo and Shanghai and overdosed on sea food.
In Chicago next week thus will become a fat bastard over night :)
 
This may be true but why use it to pooh-pooh the argument if it's true it highlights the challenge facing us.

Nine of the ten hottest years on record, since 2005, the last five being the top five. Unless you think this is going to flip soon, it's partially irrelevant whether its caused by man or not. I say partially, as if we can't combat it be reducing pollution, we will need to pull something out of the bag.
I'm not here to make light of climate change, or say man doesn't have a significant impact on things but people make comments without really having an insight into the facts.

9 out of the 10 hottest years on record? I dare say you're correct, but how long are these records we've been keeping? I can answer that for you. Its slightly over a century. Part of this period is referred to as the 'little ice age' which was an unusually cold period so not really surprising we are getting record temperatures now.
 
I'm not here to make light of climate change, or say man doesn't have a significant impact on things but people make comments without really having an insight into the facts.

9 out of the 10 hottest years on record? I dare say you're correct, but how long are these records we've been keeping? I can answer that for you. Its slightly over a century. Part of this period is referred to as the 'little ice age' which was an unusually cold period so not really surprising we are getting record temperatures now.
I see this argument that we only have records for a few hundred years a lot. So what, we know that the trend for the last 40 years is it's getting warmer, we know that this is accelerating. Just because it was probably hotter when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and Raquel Welch looked hot, is irrelevant.
 
I see this argument that we only have records for a few hundred years a lot. So what, we know that the trend for the last 40 years is it's getting warmer, we know that this is accelerating. Just because it was probably hotter when the dinosaurs roamed the earth and Raquel Welch looked hot, is irrelevant.
Like I said I'm not a climate change denier, but many of the arguments used are misinformed. I'm fairly well informed on the subject and a 40 year trend is too short to prove a great deal. We have had a warmer climate than this on many occasions over the last 10000 years.
 

Top