Recommend Me A Book

A cracking read, charting the rags to riches (and back to rags) story of Frank McAvennie.

From the obscurity of playing amateur football, to eventual fame & fortune with West Ham, page 3 girls, champagne & drugs, and rubbing shoulders with celebs & models in London, and then his rapid decline & descent into the world of drugs & prison time.

A real eye opener, and well worth a read.

71QwqUCi2FL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Attachments

You must be registered for see attachments list
Last edited:
If anyone's going to Spain I'd recommend 'Stranger in Spain' by H.V.Morton. A brilliant insight into a Spain that once was and to a degree is still now.
I've lived here 10 years and have always kept this book at arm's length but the insight is amazing. Written in the 50's I think , it's my bedtime reading at the moment and I am so enjoying it.

Light reading.......Spike Milligan Adolf Hitler, My Part in his Downfall is f***ing hillarious.

Bill Bryson ........Notes from a Small Island.

Heavier........Orwells 1984 or Animal Farm

Really interesting.......It's all Abot Teo. A diary from a bomb disposal expert on deployment in Iraq with his dog Teo.

Last edited:
The Sea Wolves by Lars Brownsworth. A history of Viking conquests, their assimilation into societies, and their impact on European and world culture to this day. Also a fairly easy read for a holiday.

Monster - the story of Fritzel

The damage done - an Australian ends up in prison in Thailand for smuggling drugs. Kinda scary how bad it is

City boys - a hippy gives up his hippy life to try at the city banking. Great insight into the way people are in that world

All based on true stories

Last edited:
I’ve been reading Peter Ackroyd’s History of England series. On the last one but then got another of his next in the queue which is written as a Biography of London walking through its history.

So obvs haven’t read it yet but meant to be very good.
Loved his biography of London and I ended up getting the illustrated version as well. He is so good on London (Dan Leno/ The house of Dr Dee etc) . Loved his Blake bio too. currently reading his Clerkenwell Tales.

The Hillary Mantel series on Thomas Cromwell are brilliant. I was disappointed they came to an end. Fizzing with life they could have been written about yesterday in parliament rather Tudor England.

Some classics are classics because they’re just great reads. What about Slaughterhouse Five (unless you’re going to Germany) or Blood Meridian (ditto Mexico)? Both fabulous experiences.
Blood Meridian is one of those books I hope never gets watered down by being made into a movie or TV series. It would never do the book justice.

Back