Recommend Me A Book

Sports - Raging Bull by Jake La Motta. You read this and it makes the film a massive disappointment and has a twist that I didn't see coming and was pretty wild. Massively honest and brutal, probably the best sporting book I've read.

Historical Fantasy - The Wolf of the Plains. The life of Ghengis Khan, very easy read, extremely wild and follows a lot of the history. Absolutely great 5 book series but book 1 is the best.

Fiction - Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment, fascinating book that focuses on the mind if a young man who thinks the world owes him something, murder, politics, psychology, has it all really.

Depends on your mood and what sort of holiday - The Great Gatsby is a great read but a bit heavy going if your round a pool, Moby Dick might be more suited 😊

If you’re after a book to dip in and out if, Tristram Shandy or Joyce’s Dubliners are worth a read.

I’m busy with The War of the Worlds and Huckleberry Finn at the moment with Don Quixote waiting in the wings

John Cooper Clarke’s biography “I Wanna Be Yours” is an enjoyable read.
This. Would also recommend Danny Baker Trilogy and/or Frank Skinners.
Depends on your mood and what sort of holiday - The Great Gatsby is a great read but a bit heavy going if your round a pool, Moby Dick might be more suited 😊

If you’re after a book to dip in and out if, Tristram Shandy or Joyce’s Dubliners are worth a read.

I’m busy with The War of the Worlds and Huckleberry Finn at the moment with Don Quixote waiting in the wings
I have that, sitting on my desk, as the next one to commence.

Going on holiday (look at me, etc) and need a book.

Like biographies and books about random stuff - for context, last books read:

Any ideas for something decent?

I’ve been reading Peter Ackroyd’s History of England series. On the last one but then got another of his next in the queue which is written as a Biography of London walking through its history.

So obvs haven’t read it yet but meant to be very good.

I re-read Prisoners of Geography recently - few years old but very relevant to all of the crazy shit going on in the world currently. Enjoyable to read with the maps etc.

As far as random stuff goes, I enjoyed reading this a lot more than I thought I would.

Some classics are classics because they’re just great reads. What about Slaughterhouse Five (unless you’re going to Germany) or Blood Meridian (ditto Mexico)? Both fabulous experiences.
You’ve piqued my interest.....go on
Sports - Raging Bull by Jake La Motta. You read this and it makes the film a massive disappointment and has a twist that I didn't see coming and was pretty wild. Massively honest and brutal, probably the best sporting book I've read.

Historical Fantasy - The Wolf of the Plains. The life of Ghengis Khan, very easy read, extremely wild and follows a lot of the history. Absolutely great 5 book series but book 1 is the best.

Fiction - Dostoyevsky - Crime and Punishment, fascinating book that focuses on the mind if a young man who thinks the world owes him something, murder, politics, psychology, has it all really.

I’m going to have a look at the first two, the third doesn’t sound like my sort of thing
The forgotten highlander.

World war 2 pow in Japan story. Amazing story and one of the best books I've ever read.
I read something similar, let me find it

Last edited:

Back