Reading the News

L

Lexingtongue

Do you do it? I check a few sources every day. I like to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Two incidents stick in my mind, however. Ten years ago I worked briefly in a call centre and was roundly mocked by the people there for checking the BBC news site as I sat eating my dinner. And recently a mate said he'd never once checked a news website in his life which I found astounding. I find it a bit strange that people don't care about the things going on around them or the developments happening around the world.

Radio in the morning on the drive to work and on the way back. Other than that I don't really watch a lot of it.
I more tend to listen to it when we're out and about

I watch the BBC news at dinner time, and the ITV news at teatime.
Try to get both slants on the same news of the day.
Rarely bother with Sky news.

Do you do it? I check a few sources every day. I like to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Two incidents stick in my mind, however. Ten years ago I worked briefly in a call centre and was roundly mocked by the people there for checking the BBC news site as I sat eating my dinner. And recently a mate said he'd never once checked a news website in his life which I found astounding. I find it a bit strange that people don't care about the things going on around them or the developments happening around the world.
Completely boggles my mind that people don’t keep up with current affairs, BBC news, Newsnow and here are my first three bookmarks, the beeb are by no means perfect but the concept of impartiality in the media is ridiculous nowadays, so important to understand the agenda of the major news corporations.

Last edited:
Same with mine. A shocking lack of knowledge on current affairs at times but I can't blame her. The news isn't usually an upbeat affair.
You know, the lad who said he never checks the news is something of a happy idiot so maybe there is something in the pro column of not keeping up with affairs. I check all the time and am dour and miserable in comparison. :lol:

What is the news ?

If it’s only read or heard from a single media outlet eg BBC, ie the news they choose to broadcast,
then it’s unlikely to give an even half decent perspective of meaningful events which are occurring.

You know, the lad who said he never checks the news is something of a happy idiot so maybe there is something in the pro column of not keeping up with affairs. I check all the time and am dour and miserable in comparison. :lol:
You are Mr News from Newstown which is located in the city of Mediaville.

Back