Reading the News

Do you do it? I check a few sources every day. I like to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Two incidents stick in my mind, however. Ten years ago I worked briefly in a call centre and was roundly mocked by the people there for checking the BBC news site as I sat eating my dinner. And recently a mate said he'd never once checked a news website in his life which I found astounding. I find it a bit strange that people don't care about the things going on around them or the developments happening around the world.
I tend to watch BBC Breakfast (whilst having my breakfast) then try and catch either the lunchtime or the six o'clock news. During the day I rely on Twitter and click on any stories I am interested in and maybe delve into other stories whilst I'm on a news site.
My biggest gripe with the news today is that I would estimate at least 50% of it is made up of anniversaries, commemorations etc of events that have happened in the past. I realise that the news is stuff that has happened in the past but I expect it to be about recent news rather than something that happened 1, 5, 10, 50 or 100 years ago. Whilst it is important to respect and learn from past events, I'm not sure a news programme is the place for this.

I tend to watch BBC Breakfast (whilst having my breakfast) then try and catch either the lunchtime or the six o'clock news. During the day I rely on Twitter and click on any stories I am interested in and maybe delve into other stories whilst I'm on a news site.
My biggest gripe with the news today is that I would estimate at least 50% of it is made up of anniversaries, commemorations etc of events that have happened in the past. I realise that the news is stuff that has happened in the past but I expect it to be about recent news rather than something that happened 1, 5, 10, 50 or 100 years ago. Whilst it is important to respect and learn from past events, I'm not sure a news programme is the place for this.
I can't use Twitter for news, like. The bickering and glaring idiocy in the comments sections below the stories fill me with a crushing desperation for the human race.

Do you do it? I check a few sources every day. I like to keep abreast of what's going on in the world. Two incidents stick in my mind, however. Ten years ago I worked briefly in a call centre and was roundly mocked by the people there for checking the BBC news site as I sat eating my dinner. And recently a mate said he'd never once checked a news website in his life which I found astounding. I find it a bit strange that people don't care about the things going on around them or the developments happening around the world.
Christ yes. News is reality TV for me. It doesn't usually come more bizarre than the truth. Reading the Toronto Star this morning to get the news on their spliff legalization and I sees Trump bitching about Canadians smuggling shoes over the border...I mean, how random is that? The news is like the best soap opera ever - full of fun, tragedy, drama and sheer stupidity.

It's also the best leveller - if I ever think my life is shit all I have to do is look at the news, slap myself across the face and tell myself to get a grip.

I had planned to watch the news Friday morning after nightshift but honestly won't bother now I know it's all just repeated.

Gutted about this.
Don't worry. If you haven't seen Thursday nights, you can catch it Friday morning.

Don't think you really watch the news if you're coming out with that
I'll sit through it at 10pm, and on the whole it's the same news that was reported on GMB or Breakfast.

With the world cup, there's afternoon games for them to report on, but outside of that, it's more or less the same stuff, unless something big has happened during the day.

BBC News website
SKY News Website
Huffington Post HuffPost.com
Yahoo. (for the shite goss etc)
SMB
RTG
Politics Forum

Radio 4

TV News if I’m in the house or a hotel when it’s on.

Most, if not all, on a daily basis.

Used to read The Independent too but packed in when it became ‘the I’ and/or cost a fortune.

Occasionally read a newspaper.

I read the headlines then research the stories that interest me. 95% of news is fakenews. If you take it at face value you'll have a very skewed idea of what's really going on. Eg, the N. Korea scaremongering. They had no intention of starting a war, yet "the news" would have you believe that they did. It was BS from start to finish.

Just look at the transfer rumours ffs. It's ridiculous clickbait. Well, the front pages are no different to the back pages.

#woke

Don't watch a lot of news on TV, can't take the spin they put on everything. Don't watch much in the way of current affairs either, just winds me up. Tend to read more online.

I can see why people wouldn't bother with it like, it's a load of depressing bullshit.

I usually watch Breakfast while having a cup of tea and muesli, mainly as I'm a bit obsessed about the weather. I check the bbc website during the day as well as a few online papers. My sister actually buys Sunday papers, she says there are more articles than on their websites. Quaint. :lol:

Back