Re-homing a Greyhound

as a family we quite fancy adopting a greyhound and have just been to see a fabulous young fella. Although we have had dogs before we’ve never had a Greyhound. Any thoughts or do’s and don’ts I should be aware of?

I know that the crack about them needing loads of exercise is a myth but what’s their food intake like and how trainable are they?

Any other nuggets of knowledge?

The first person to say “they taste like chicken” is a bellend.

They are topper you will have a friend for life. Love sleeping, short walks, ours liked a good bit of quiet time she would go take herself away to her cage and you'd know to leave her alone. She was never off the lead when we had her so I don't know about trainable but that was just because we had a pup and knowing my luck they'd both be away.

Our lass used to help train the racing greyhounds, she reckons most of them make cracking companions. They just like to chill and take it easy. Her aunty had an ex racer and he was mint. slept most of the time but had a class personality

They don't take much walking at all for what you'd expect from a racing dog. As above - lovely dogs. Give it a fire to sleep in front of and you won't even know that it's there.

Absolutely adorable as pets, although might take a while to adjust if they're ex-racers as not used to life as pets...
True about the laziness, one walk a day and then 8 hours kip, usually upside down

Make sure you have a spare sofa !!!!!!

Contact Erinhounds UK (look on Facebook or Google) for excellent advice... They re-home a lot of Irish ex-racers in the UK

PS, don't walk them in woods where there's rabbits or deer (personal experience :lol:)

I co-owned a couple some years ago, and one of my partners adopted one. Very good family dog after he won us a lot of money (which we proceeded to waste on other mutts)

We've had 4 greyhounds. They have a lovely temperament but you have to be a bit careful about small furry things, although some greys do live very happily with cats. Don't get a grey if you want a guard dog as they won't show aggression to anyone - including burglars. Do get one if you want a quiet, lazy, comfort loving, affectionate, athletic, undemanding friend. Be careful about letting them off lead - if they see a rabbit or something more interesting they'll be off and your recall is unlikely to succeed. They make great "Pets As Therapy" dogs and seeing them run on a sandy beach is poetry in motion. I wouldn't have any other breed.

Back