Re-homing a Greyhound

does their hair stick to the carpet and 3 piece like a Jack russell"s ?
I fancy having one but the hair on the likes of a collie is easily hoovered up whereas our last JR's short white/silver hairs ruined the feckin furniture.

We've had 4 greyhounds. They have a lovely temperament but you have to be a bit careful about small furry things, although some greys do live very happily with cats. Don't get a grey if you want a guard dog as they won't show aggression to anyone - including burglars. Do get one if you want a quiet, lazy, comfort loving, affectionate, athletic, undemanding friend. Be careful about letting them off lead - if they see a rabbit or something more interesting they'll be off and your recall is unlikely to succeed. They make great "Pets As Therapy" dogs and seeing them run on a sandy beach is poetry in motion. I wouldn't have any other breed.
Thanks for your detailed reply.

Not interested in a guard dog, just a family companion who would enjoy a good walk and won’t mind being left alone for a few hours. We have no other pets so that’s not a problem. The hound will be walked around Bishop Cuthbert where there are loads of rabbits so will be walked on a harness or down on the beach at Seaton Carew where they can have a good sprint and some freedom. I’m definitely coming round to the idea of a greyhound.

Any thoughts on house training ex-racers?

does their hair stick to the carpet and 3 piece like a Jack russell"s ?
I fancy having one but the hair on the likes of a collie is easily hoovered up whereas our last JR's short white/silver hairs ruined the feckin furniture.
They don’t lose much hair, which is one of the reasons we fancy one. They are in the list of top 10 hypo allergenic dogs for that reason.

Last edited:
We've had ours for nearly 6 years (she was 3 when we got her). I was unsure about getting a greyhound and thought that they are not very cuddly, takes loads to exercise them, etc. But getting Millie is one of the best things we've ever done.

It took about a month for her to 'fit in' with us, think she was confused as to who we were, why had her life changed so much etc (used to being in kennels with other greyhounds). She didnt know how to 'play', but after a couple of months she started to chase a ball, loves a football now). But she is fantastic. She gets a 20-25 walk on a morning, 15 at dinner time and 30-45 mins on an evening, but you can get away with 2 x 20 mins a day if you want. They can go for much longer walks but you have to build them up gradually as basically they're used to running around a track once, then kipping.

They sleep loads, half the time we don't notice her, and she loves to cuddly up with either or both of us, so loving and affectionate. Millie is off the lead quite a bit but she is very nervous of dogs that she doesn't know off the lead, she does run off if they run up to her (even to play), so we have to put her back on the lead if there are others about that are off the lead.

As someone previously mentioned, they are so graceful on a beach sprinting around, Millie loves being on the beach, although she will only paddle, hates getting wet. And as someone else said, a canny few people have thought she was gonna have a sh*te in my local when she's only trying to sit/lie down on the wood flooring. it does take them a couple of efforts.

To summarise, get one. They are fantastic dogs, pets, companions, hot water bottles etc. I won't be getting any other breed of dog. There are Retired Greyhound Trusts everywhere (a one at Pelaw Grange), we got Millie from Alison Waggott at Fir Tree (Crook way).

I forgot to add, that we had a couple of guinea pigs and Millie didn't go near them, in fact she seemed scared of them (they died naturally by the way, not eaten!) :lol:

And we have a 5 year old grand bairn and she was and is soft as clarts with him, he adores her and loves to give her cuddles.

Last edited:

Back