Rate Donald’s time as owner so far out of 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Last year I think I have an 8 or 9, this year a 5 at best. If it turns out he stopped a takeover so he could continue playing really life football manager then a 0.

Probably a 4. Quite canny off the pitch with the podcasts and things. We're really poor on the pitch though, which is what really matters. I'm not convinced he can afford to keep us, but I'm not convinced he's done everything he can to get the FPP deal through to give himself a way out and to give us investors who could really change our medium to long term fate. Could have left having done well financially, connected with the fans and passed us onto major investors, instead there will always be the suspicion that he wants to hang on for a bigger profit even if it means losing the chance to sell to people who can really make a difference to our club. He needs to get the manager decision right, something has to go well for him on the pitch soon or the questions will just get louder

It’s a tricky question.

At present, I’d give him a 3 or 4/10. That comes from stabilising the club by finding some agreement to wipe off some of the debt. He managed to shift some of the problematic high earners off the books in the early days which was needed. He recognised the need to re-engage supporters in some fashion and a few measures certainly helped; the seats, the acts of human kindness with some supporters and their situations, the dialogue.

However, despite that, we are certainly no further forward in a footballing sense than we were when he arrived; in fact we may have regressed. The squad is weaker, our recruitment (in and out) has been awful, our current managerial situation is farcical and we don’t appear to have any kind of long term vision on that front and the questions over finance still linger. Furthermore, there have been some PR disasters, despite the right hand man being an apparent PR merchant. From the ticket fiasco of the Checkatrade final with its embarrassing backtrack (Wycombe tickets this weekend anyone?...), twitter retreats and comebacks and adding £ to ticket prices of higher profile games to the public bashing of agents (I don’t think that’s helped our recruitment), a lot of the good work done has been undone at times.

But....if the takeover is still alive and the club was to be sold to owners who do have vision and the resources to take us forward then I’d happily revise his score upwards.

ultimately, I think Donald’s tenure will be judged on who he sells the club to and how long it takes him to do it.

4. Starting to think he talks a good game and seems approachable bit has been poor and seemingly no money at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back