Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a problem with barking dogs next door. Solution - battery powered Pi in the shed, with a USB mic recording each day to an MP3 file on a USB stick, which then gets gobbled up to my server via rsync/WiFi overnight. Evidence being gathered as I type.
?

Not that I would ever advocate or condone such behaviour but somebody I know solved an identical problem within hours using a sausage and a packet of paracetamol.

NetBeans IDE has Raspberry Pi
I know, but the question is what do you envisage him doing with it? Java programming, Python, C++? Netbeans gets used for a lot of things. If you hear people talking about Netbeans IDE and the RPi it's often about Java programming on the RPi.

Not that I would ever advocate or condone such behaviour but somebody I know solved an identical problem within hours using a sausage and a packet of paracetamol.
I'm not wasting a Sunday breakfast on a dog mate.

Last edited:
C is an engineering language - I've used it for years, you might be right though! What do you recommend?
I love C/C++. But I'd start a beginner with something less fiddly. For a dynamic language, Python. For a statically typed language, Java or C#. Either of the latter are good to transition to C++ (I wouldn't bother with C these days, unless the individual wants to work where there's lots of it).

couple of interesting projects with it....

https://pi-hole.net/ - lets you filter out loads of internet adds by using it as a DNS, with blacklisted domains
http://www.pivpn.io/ - vpn back to home, so you can encrypt traffic on public wifi etc
Pi hole. :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Just looked at them on Maplins - has it closed down in Sunlun?
I ordered mine from pi hut online. Was a recommended supplier by the raspberry pi foundation.

There are loads of great projects online for these and other single board computers. There is a group on Facebook (I know) called retropie gaming and some of the arcade gaming units people are making on there are excellent and all of them are powered by the pi

If i wanted to use my Pi Zero W as a streaming music player what would be required?

I already have it set up with Musicbox but have USB sound card attached to some small powered speakers. If i wanted to connect normal hifi speakers what would i need? I am assuming an amp of some sort.

If i wanted to use my Pi Zero W as a streaming music player what would be required?

I already have it set up with Musicbox but have USB sound card attached to some small powered speakers. If i wanted to connect normal hifi speakers what would i need? I am assuming an amp of some sort.

Presuming you have a hifi already, can't you just plug it into that? If not, then an amazon echo speaker maybe, or a sonos etc? You could buy a normal amp and connect normal speakers to it and connect it to that instead though, depends what you want.

Last edited:
I'm not computer literate remotely, but a friend of mine made me a game console out of one and its class.

No idea how like, but it basically has every game ever for the Nintendo / Sega consoles of my use.

When did a computer programme change from a programme to an app? Even Microsoft have started to do it

Good point. I'd say maybe since mobile apps mainly?

An application program (app or application for short) is a computer program designed to perform a group of coordinated functions, tasks, or activities for the benefit of the user

Last edited:
Good point. I'd say maybe since mobile apps mainly?
Way before then. I was at Microsoft in the 80s, and Windows / OS/2 Presentation Manager GUI programs were mostly called "apps" there. That's how you knew the cool kids, as opposed to the has beens who were still writing console mode "programs". ;)

Way before then. I was at Microsoft in the 80s, and Windows / OS/2 Presentation Manager GUI programs were mostly called "apps" there. That's how you knew the cool kids, as opposed to the has beens who were still writing console mode "programs". ;)

I do bash shell scripts, hope that does not qualify me as a has been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back