Raspberry Pi

Status
Not open for further replies.

The new Rpi might be a lot faster based on the specs.

They say 1.5x for single threaded and up to 6x for heavily multi threaded (unsurprisingly as the RPi only has one core).

For general programming or a cheap desktop PC it's still looking underpowered to me.

I'd probably still go for the similarly priced U3 and C1 ODROIDs.

But it's great to see increased competition at the cheap end, and interest from Microsoft. The days of a pocket $30 computer that's as fast as your 2010 laptop are not far off.

I've been making some bird boxes. Got the kids to paint a "design" on them and varnished on top. They look class. Idea was for Christmas presents but well and truly missed the boat for last year. Sticking a Raspberry Pi in each with a camera in the attempt to capture movement-sensors images to a server and upload one per 10 mins to a web page. It's not ground breaking as there are several projects written up on the internet. Good fun fannying around with wires, screws and a soldering iron. Trying to get it to work from a solar panel on the other side of the tree like. Doesn't have to operate constantly so will try to charge up a battery while the sun is shining. Think I need a bigger tree.
Keeps me off the streets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back