Ramprakash Sacked

Brilliant county player, useless test player.

I am not sure I owuld read too much into those averages considering he was being wrapped in cotton wool at 5-6 and would have had a few not outs.

John Crawley had a much better test average and could feel aggrieved he kept missing out to Ramprakash.

For a bit of context, Jennings has scored as many centuries in 17 tests as Ramprakash did in 52.

You don't get wrapped in cotton wool batting 5 for England in the 90s.

Ramprakash was a fantastic player though, one of the most naturally gifted batsmen this country ever produced. It was as he admits his mental frailties that stopped him becoming the test player everyone thought he had become.

Of course you don’t have to be a particularly good player to become a good coach, but if you’ve got a fundamental weakness like he had (so I don’t think he knew what it takes to be that player) you are in my opinion less likely to succeed given batting has so much to do with confidence, self belief and mentality.

Let’s be fair, I know we haven’t exactly got a load of world class batsmen but some of England’s batting performances and collapses have been woeful under his tenure.

Notable then that our One Day teams biggest weakness is mental as well then

I'm not sure he would have told them how to express mental weakness when batting :lol: Right lads get in a huddle and listen:

1) Pace about the dressing room getting on everyone's tits when your are next in.

2) Grip the bat far too hard and sweat profusely

3) Fidget like fuck and don't get your feet moving early on

4) Either be too scared to play a shot or try to play a shot a ball

5) Run like fuck for a daft single to try to get off the mark.

Last edited:
I'm not sure he would have told them how to express mental weakness when batting :lol: Right lads get in a huddle and listen:

1) Pace about the dressing room getting on everyone's tits when your are next in.

2) Grip the bat far too hard and sweat profusely

3) Fidget like fuck and don't get your feet moving early on

4) Either be too scared to play a shot or try to play a shot a ball

5) Run like fuck for a daft single to try to get off the mark.
KP did that almost all of that job perfectly

KP for batting coach

Disagree with that mate. I feel we are just too slow to change our style of play to compliment either the wicket or situation at times. Players like Buttler are really strong mentally imo and have produced some great chases in the passed few years. Intractability and reading a situation is what lets us down imo.

Don't know if anyone watched that mind games thing that they played at lunch time in the tests this summer? They spoke to Ramprakash and one of the things he spoke about was the lack of mental support back then. The one WI tour where he really played well was the only time England fetched in a phycologist to work with the players. Typical of England at the time, it was only used once ffs. Obviously worked too well for some players.

Disagree with that mate. I feel we are just too slow to change our style of play to compliment either the wicket or situation at times. Players like Buttler are really strong mentally imo and have produced some great chases in the passed few years. Intractability and reading a situation is what lets us down imo.

Don't know if anyone watched that mind games thing that they played at lunch time in the tests this summer? They spoke to Ramprakash and one of the things he spoke about was the lack of mental support back then. The one WI tour where he really played well was the only time England fetched in a phycologist to work with the players. Typical of England at the time, it was only used once ffs. Obviously worked too well for some players.

I also think we have changed our entire culture of ODI for the better with players who are excellent, brave and risk takers which you need to be successful. The nature of risk taking is that sometimes it doesn't come off and when it doesnt players get accused of mental frailties or recklessness. I think its a load of old bollocks.

I also think we have changed our entire culture of ODI for the better with players who are excellent, brave and risk takers which you need to be successful. The nature of risk taking is that sometimes it doesn't come off and when it doesnt players get accused of mental frailties or recklessness. I think its a load of old bollocks.
I agree, although the positive play and attacking mentality can be used as excuse at times. Sometimes if the pitch isn't flat 280 might be good enough, at these times we need to dig in a bit and concede we can't score at a 120+ SR. Understanding when to change tactics isn't easy, especially after all the success we've had playing the way we do but imo it's a skill to judge the match situation not a mental weakness.

Not his biggest fan but great interview with him last night on 5 live cricket show with Tuffers and Vaughan. Not many would have fronted up like that a few days after being sacked. Worth a listen for those who missed it.

Listened to the TMS podcast thing.

Sounds like Giles has come in and wants to get rid of the current structure. Effectively moving people on months before the end of their contracts (i.e. Ramprakash, Fabrace). Giles doesnt exactly inspire positivity in anything

Back