Ramprakash Sacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Good...how can you have a bloke mentally unable to play test cricket coaching test batsmen.
Maybe because he knows what it takes? (whether he can do it or not is different, I mean Fergusson would never be able to play to the Man Utd. standard.

Liverpool under Bob Paisley played completely different football to what they did when he retired from playing (best manager there's been imho).

So no, I don't accept that a successful coach has to have been a successful player nor do I think players should be given such an obvious and easy 'out' for their own performances.

Liverpool under Bob Paisley played completely different football to what they did when he retired from playing (best manager there's been imho).

Liverpool fans are likely to say he wasn’t even the best manager they’ve had.

Plus Sir Matt Busby and Sir Alex Ferguson might stake a claim for the accolade.

Anyway, this isn’t PF :lol:

Reactions: Bri
Maybe because he knows what it takes? (whether he can do it or not is different, I mean Fergusson would never be able to play to the Man Utd. standard.

So no, I don't accept that a successful coach has to have been a successful player nor do I think players should be given such an obvious and easy 'out' for their own performances.
Ramprakash was a fantastic player though, one of the most naturally gifted batsmen this country ever produced. It was as he admits his mental frailties that stopped him becoming the test player everyone thought he had become.

Of course you don’t have to be a particularly good player to become a good coach, but if you’ve got a fundamental weakness like he had (so I don’t think he knew what it takes to be that player) you are in my opinion less likely to succeed given batting has so much to do with confidence, self belief and mentality.

Let’s be fair, I know we haven’t exactly got a load of world class batsmen but some of England’s batting performances and collapses have been woeful under his tenure.

Ramprakash was a fantastic player though, one of the most naturally gifted batsmen this country ever produced. It was as he admits his mental frailties that stopped him becoming the test player everyone thought he had become.

Of course you don’t have to be a particularly good player to become a good coach, but if you’ve got a fundamental weakness like he had (so I don’t think he knew what it takes to be that player) you are in my opinion less likely to succeed given batting has so much to do with confidence, self belief and mentality.

Let’s be fair, I know we haven’t exactly got a load of world class batsmen but some of England’s batting performances and collapses have been woeful under his tenure.
Agree on Ramps. Fantastic super player who couldn't transfer that into the Test arena.

TBF, some of England's Test batting performances have been woeful from long before Ramps' time as batting coach, well before. There was even a hit single about it played on TOTP entitled 'Nnnnnnineteen'.

Agree on Ramps. Fantastic super player who couldn't transfer that into the Test arena.

TBF, some of England's Test batting performances have been woeful from long before Ramps' time as batting coach, well before. There was even a hit single about it played on TOTP entitled 'Nnnnnnineteen'.

In defense of Ramprakash while his overall record is poor in test cricket he averaged 40 plus against Australia with one of the best attacks in the history of the game. Not bad for someone with mental issues. Yes he failed against Ambrose and walsh, Waqar and Wasim and Donald and Pollock but that doesn't makes him a shit player.

In defense of Ramprakash while his overall record is poor in test cricket he averaged 40 plus against Australia with one of the best attacks in the history of the game. Not bad for someone with mental issues. Yes he failed against Ambrose and walsh, Waqar and Wasim and Donald and Pollock but that doesn't makes him a shit player.

He was a poor test player like, if you look at how good he was domestically, just shows you he didn't have it to step up. I know selection didn't always help but people like Athers, Thorpe and Nasser found a way. He definitely had more talent that Nasser for example in stroke play but just couldn't hack it

About time too.

Average under 25 against SA, NZ and WI. Averaged 10 batting in his county batting position of 3, not being protected at five or six.

He was shite

Last edited:
About time too.

Average under 25 against SA, NZ and WI. Averaged 10 batting in his county batting position of 3, not being protected at five or six.

He was shite

I said all that in my initial post man. Out of balance I also said that no English player of the time had a better record against the greatest attack the game has ever seen.

I said all that in my initial post man. Out of balance I also said that no English player of the time had a better record against the greatest attack the game has ever seen.

Keep clutching those straws.

Michael Vaughan 47.95
Graham Thorpe 45.74

"Greatest attack the game has ever seen" is a moot point. I'd put Windies 1970-95 ahead.

Keep clutching those straws.

Michael Vaughan 47.95
Graham Thorpe 45.74

"Greatest attack the game has ever seen" is a moot point. I'd put Windies 1970-95 ahead.

Not clutching at straws just highlighting the fact that he was a very talented cricketer as his average against Australia showed and his 154 in WI was one of the best test innings by an Englishman I have seen. We are in agreement that he ultimately wasn't good enough as a period of time but 'shite' cricketers cant play those type of knocks or average 40+ v Australia.

I know a lot is made about averages but whenever I saw him bat in Tests he had fear in his eyes. If I can see that then people who are in charge should be able to see it before me and make necessary changes.

Not clutching at straws just highlighting the fact that he was a very talented cricketer as his average against Australia showed and his 154 in WI was one of the best test innings by an Englishman I have seen. We are in agreement that he ultimately wasn't good enough as a period of time but 'shite' cricketers cant play those type of knocks or average 40+ v Australia.
Shite cricketers don't get 100 1st class hundreds.

Saw him get a classy 72 in Perth in ‘95

There was only him and Thorpe who could remotely play Warne

Saw him get a classy 72 in Perth in ‘95

There was only him and Thorpe who could remotely play Warne

He was an absolutely class technician who couldn't relax and put too much pressure on himself. There were times when he was absolutely frazzled like in SA but he could really play. Really mentally strong players such as Stewart, Thorpe can succeed in and era but Ramprakash probably needed to be carefully managed but you didn't really get that playing for England in the 90s.

Brilliant county player, useless test player.

I am not sure I owuld read too much into those averages considering he was being wrapped in cotton wool at 5-6 and would have had a few not outs.

John Crawley had a much better test average and could feel aggrieved he kept missing out to Ramprakash.

For a bit of context, Jennings has scored as many centuries in 17 tests as Ramprakash did in 52.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back