R now below 1.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

So someone who has a heart attack like Eddie large but also tests positive for covid is a covid death got it

Under the 28 day definition yes. This is why death certificate mentions are the most reliable indicator for screening out any cases like that.

David has quite clearly blown the case wide open like. If only he was on the podium.

Yes but many relatives have said covid was put on the death certificate for cases like this this is also how the death total is reported in the media ie within 28 days of a positive test

Under the 28 day definition yes. This is why death certificate mentions are the most reliable indicator for screening out any cases like that.

David has quite clearly blown the case wide open like. If only he was on the podium.
I was expecting the run over by a bus so fair play to him.

If someone dies within 28 days of a positive test then covid 19 can go on the death certificate.

If someone dies within 28 days of a positive test then covid 19 can go on the death certificate.

Do you have a source for that, because it runs contrary to the guidance I’ve seen on completing death certificates, especially since the 28-day measure was brought in in the summer.

Please can you provide evidence for your figures re excess? Not doubting it outright but I’m sceptical of figures just thrown out in that manner.

I was slightly out - it was 26,000

3 million missed cancer screenings including 1 million vital breast cancer scans

If we think 50,000 covid deaths is bad then I fear we're in for a much bigger shock in the next few years - including thousands of much younger people than covid would have claimed

I think our reaction - and that of almost all of the world - is going to create a problem both financially and medically that will take us decades to recover from

I was slightly out - it was 26,000

3 million missed cancer screenings including 1 million vital breast cancer scans

If we think 50,000 covid deaths is bad then I fear we're in for a much bigger shock in the next few years - including thousands of much younger people than covid would have claimed

I think our reaction - and that of almost all of the world - is going to create a problem both financially and medically that will take us decades to recover from

This is 50,000+ COVID deaths with lockdown.

Whatever happened from March onwards, it was always going to stop healthcare working as normally.

Either we locked down and cancelled most services

Or

We didn’t lockdown or didn’t put many measures in place, meaning we’d have had so many hospitalisations and staff off sick that most things would have been cancelled anyways.

This is 50,000+ COVID deaths with lockdown.

Whatever happened from March onwards, it was always going to stop healthcare working as normally.

Either we locked down and cancelled most services

Or

We didn’t lockdown or didn’t put many measures in place, meaning we’d have had so many hospitalisations and staff off sick that most things would have been cancelled anyways.

I agree with the first lockdown - it was new territory - now it's madness and we should be putting evrything in place to protect those who are really at risk

3 million missed cancer appointments? Honestly I hate to think of what that means in the coming years

I agree with the first lockdown - it was new territory - now it's madness and we should be putting evrything in place to protect those who are really at risk

3 million missed cancer appointments? Honestly I hate to think of what that means in the coming years

How do we do that exactly? How do we sequester approximately 17,000,000 people vulnerable enough to qualify for a free flu jab, for however long. Presumably the time period you’d have opted for would be June until a vaccine becomes available.

That’s simply not doable.

I’m not saying it’s a good thing that appointments have been missed but I really don’t see what the alternative was.

Do you have a source for that, because it runs contrary to the guidance I’ve seen on completing death certificates, especially since the 28-day measure was brought in in the summer.

I was told it by a doctor who I was working alongside during the first wave, the 28 day thing was a brought in to bring England in line with the rest of either the UK or Europe, can’t remember which.
Before that I am not sure if it was a longer time frame or if there was one at all.

I was told it by a doctor who I was working alongside during the first wave, the 28 day thing was a brought in to bring England in line with the rest of either the UK or Europe, can’t remember which.
Before that I am not sure if it was a longer time frame or if there was one at all.

I'm certainly not aware of that myself. There are at the moment three separate counts that only partially overlap

A - Deaths from any cause within 28 days of testing positive
B - Deaths from any cause within 60 days of testing positive
C - Deaths where COVID-19 is mentioned on the death certificate

For example, if you tested positive on Monday and then fell off a cliff on Friday, you'd be recorded in Count A and Count B but not Count C, because you died within 28 days and within 60 days of testing positive, but COVID did not cause or contribute to your death, so a doctor would not put COVID on the death certificate.

It certainly could be the case that doctors are now allowed to put COVID as a cause even if they don't suspect it at all, so long as the person died within 28 days of testing positive, but I've not heard anything along those lines and it would be rather unusual to say the least. However this is 2020 and it's been a rather unusual year.

I'm certainly not aware of that myself. There are at the moment three separate counts that only partially overlap

A - Deaths from any cause within 28 days of testing positive
B - Deaths from any cause within 60 days of testing positive
C - Deaths where COVID-19 is mentioned on the death certificate

For example, if you tested positive on Monday and then fell off a cliff on Friday, you'd be recorded in Count A and Count B but not Count C, because you died within 28 days and within 60 days of testing positive, but COVID did not cause or contribute to your death, so a doctor would not put COVID on the death certificate.

It certainly could be the case that doctors are now allowed to put COVID as a cause even if they don't suspect it at all, so long as the person died within 28 days of testing positive, but I've not heard anything along those lines and it would be rather unusual to say the least. However this is 2020 and it's been a rather unusual year.

I think it was to do with not being able to carry out the number of PMs necessary so if a DR believed covid played a part in the death then it could be added to the death cert, this was back in March or April time so no doubt has changed several times since.

That's not true - the average across the country was slowly moving down

The government, the opposition and SAGE simply refuse to look at any other evidence

Arcadia group looks like it's going to the wall in the next few days - another 13,000 jobs gone and more lives destroyed - the cure is worse than the disease
ICL still has them going up after lockdown started. Mike has offered a bail out to Arcadia.

The phe definition of covid death is death within 28 days of positive test these are the figures we see on the media so are the only relevant measure when discussing deaths one of the reasons the germans had a lower death rate is they defined covid deaths differently

The phe definition of covid death is death within 28 days of positive test these are the figures we see on the media so are the only relevant measure when discussing deaths one of the reasons the germans had a lower death rate is they defined covid deaths differently

They have multiple definitions. They also have full stops.

I remember when the R being above 1 was justification for draconian measures, now we have Michael Gove wheeled out claiming hospitals could get overrun. A man who co-authored a book on NHS privatisation? Hmmm ......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back