Quitting the Drink

Quitting the Drink as of today! Need advice and or encouragement as I feel like if I don't quit now it's going to spiral out of control.
Genuinely feel like I'm teetering on the edge of the precipice of alcoholism if I don't sort it.
Time to sort it, good luck.The beneficiary is yourself. 👍
Once someone gets into the downward spiral it's hard to get out of it but you've made the first step by acknowledging your personal concern.

Aye mate, fell off the wagon after about three weeks but going to give it another attempt soon. I'm determined to get this cracked and the support of people on this forum is brilliant.
Will update accordingly. Thanks fellow SMB'ers!
Didn't really notice this thread as it's in diet and fitness

That was me. Just a few weeks ago too. Bizarelly I've posted more shit sober than when I was pissed. Maybe it's a replacement

I've had god awful spells off and on for the last couple of years

Anyway, some support off a poster on here probably helped more than anything else

It's minging and it's bloody evil when it takes hold

Takes some strength as well. Everyone on here will root for you though I know that

Just 1 last tip, I read a book called This Naked Mind by Annie Grace, really good, and an eye opener, and it really changed my mindset when it came to drink.
Hi all, hope the OP and everyone else trying to beat the drink are winning!

I took the advice above and bought 'This Naked Mind' and it has really help me.

For anyone with Amazon prime it is free to download via the kindle store. Gooduck marra's👍

@Muddied Oaf How you holding up mate.
What worked for me was each year during lent I’d have no alcohol. Began drinking less and less throughout the year as I realized it was more a hinderance than a help.
Hope you’re doing well

Hi all, hope the OP and everyone else trying to beat the drink are winning!

I took the advice above and bought 'This Naked Mind' and it has really help me.

For anyone with Amazon prime it is free to download via the kindle store. Gooduck marra's👍
This is an amazing book having my latest go at quitting and think it may well stick this time after reading this.

@Muddied Oaf How you holding up mate.
What worked for me was each year during lent I’d have no alcohol. Began drinking less and less throughout the year as I realized it was more a hinderance than a help.
Hope you’re doing well
Not to good mate.
Back on it big time. Still determined to beat it but it's not my time ATM.
Thanks for your advice and support will keep it in mind when I finally pack in. January is my target date to get back on the wagon.

since our kids were born I had went into a habit of drinking 3-4 beers a night, but over the curse of 4 years I can feel the health affects massively, So I've wanted to stop for a while.

I've now cut right down to a few beers on weekend evenings 3-4 maybe but not always. I feel much better for it I must admit

since our kids were born I had went into a habit of drinking 3-4 beers a night, but over the curse of 4 years I can feel the health affects massively, So I've wanted to stop for a while.

I've now cut right down to a few beers on weekend evenings 3-4 maybe but not always. I feel much better for it I must admit
Following my retirement I'm in the habit of having 4 beers every night and know need to get it sorted. I can't exercise it off now so I need to cut it back.

Following my retirement I'm in the habit of having 4 beers every night and know need to get it sorted. I can't exercise it off now so I need to cut it back.
When I wanted to stop I put beer way in the back and water bottles up front. A lot of water bottles. Forced me to think ‘Do I really want a beer?’. Maybe have less than 6 per month now after a lifetime of drinking every day.

When I wanted to stop I put beer way in the back and water bottles up front. A lot of water bottles. Forced me to think ‘Do I really want a beer?’. Maybe have less than 6 per month now after a lifetime of drinking every day.
My logic is to gradually minimise what I have. I used to be able to totally not drink re my work pattern but I've slipped into the ease of having a beer so I know I need to attend to the issue. I don't do strong stuff (or lots of beers) anymore so it's all about willpower. I'll get there, but my other related thing is that my wife "won't drink alone" so I need to think about clear evenings. her "having a drink" is work stress related and her jd * cokes potentially do more harm than my fizzy p*ss as she calls it. We both need to sort it

Back