Quick question - what is this called?

The reason I asked, is woodlice are found in every continent except Antarctica, and everyone has a different name for them. At a talk I was at last night, they said there was a north south divide where in the south they were woodlice, in Scotland they are slaters and the north east of England is about 50/50 on what you call them.

I have never heard anyone call them a slater, and I was wondering if anyone here would say it.
I bet you’re a hoot at parties.

There are Sea Slaters on Roker pier if you look over the sides in summer, they look like massive woodlice.

Supposed to taste like shrimps.
Got waterlice in my pond, alien looking buggers.
What kind of living conditions do they prefer between dark & dry, dark & damp, light & damp, light & dry?
They’re crustaceans and need some moisture, don’t take long to dry out and die. Usually like damp, dark areas with rotten wood.

Last edited:
What the Jocks call them.

As an aside - the Jocks call crabs "partans" - funny lot the old Jockanese.
Logon or register to see this image

Mirror in Aitchie's Ale House in Aberdeen, near to the Railway Station.
Bottom right is a woodlouse/slater with "S'later" on it. A local expression of "see you later".
They used to have T-shirts with the same slater on it a well.

Last edited:
What the Jocks call them.

As an aside - the Jocks call crabs "partans" - funny lot the old Jockanese.
Logon or register to see this image

Mirror in Aitchie's Ale House in Aberdeen, near to the Railway Station.
Bottom right is a woodlouse/slater with "S'later" on it. A local expression of "see you later".
They used to have T-shirts with the same slater on it a well.
Oh I love that.

Had a few friends round last night. Pure dead Glaswegian.

Showed them the picture..... Slater it was.

My Kentish wife calls them Cheesy bugs too.

Interesting that a Northumbrian is the only reported English person calling them that. We share a fair bit of dialect with the Scotts (aye, canny, bairn etc), but apparently not Slater as was claimed on Monday night.

Wikipedia reckons slater is a term used in Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and Australia. No mention of anywhere in England.

Lots of variations on the cheesy bug though - cheeselog, cheesy bobs, chiggy pig, chisel pig, chucky pig.

My Kentish wife calls them Cheesy bugs too.

Interesting that a Northumbrian is the only reported English person calling them that. We share a fair bit of dialect with the Scotts (aye, canny, bairn etc), but apparently not Slater as was claimed on Monday night.
Is canny not used differently in Scotland though? We use it to emphasise something, do Scots not use it instead of "can't" and spell it "cannae"?

Is canny not used differently in Scotland though? We use it to emphasise something, do Scots not use it instead of "can't" and spell it "cannae"?
I think some of the uses is the same. Though we use it to mean a few things, which is why I think it is a brilliant word.

It means a fair amount, "there is a canny bit of flooding in the garden after all this rain".
It means good, "That young lad looks like a canny player"
and it means cute, "Aww, doesn't that collie look canny?".

Back