Quick question - what is this called?

I’d just say woodlouse but commonly referred to as roly poly or pill bug. Old neighbour called them tank bugs.
Loads of different names depending where you’re from.

The reason I asked, is woodlice are found in every continent except Antarctica, and everyone has a different name for them. At a talk I was at last night, they said there was a north south divide where in the south they were woodlice, in Scotland they are slaters and the north east of England is about 50/50 on what you call them.

I have never heard anyone call them a slater, and I was wondering if anyone here would say it.

I’ve got some in my crested gecko vivariun as it’s bioactive, planted up with live rainforest plants and loads of springtails, wood lice, worms and a couple of millipedes.
The reason I asked, is woodlice are found in every continent except Antarctica, and everyone has a different name for them. At a talk I was at last night, they said there was a north south divide where in the south they were woodlice, in Scotland they are slaters and the north east of England is about 50/50 on what you call them.

I have never heard anyone call them a slater, and I was wondering if anyone here would say it.
Now you’ve explained I’ll share an article that I read a while ago.

Last edited:

I'd heard them called slaters.

From my wife. Who's Scottish. I looked at her weirdly the first time she said it. Still sounds weird.

What is this thing called love ?
What is this thing called, love ?
Essentially wood lice, but they are known by 176 different names apparently , so take your pick, and said to be able to cure various conditions if ingested. Don't try this at home kids

Last edited:

Back