Queuing for 1992 FA Cup Final tickets at RP

Status
Not open for further replies.

This woman at work is saying she camped out as well, might have been the semi then. She is getting on now :lol:

Was deffo the semi because there was a ticketing system in place for the final if you attended a few games after the semi. A lottery of sorts depending where you stood in the ground.

Someone at work saying people were queuing outside Roker Park but Bob Murray didn't open the gates and then when he did lots of people pushed in and caused hell on. The police horses were out etc. Never heard this before can anyone confirm or deny this?
100% happened at the semi tickets. As it hasn't been for a steward seeing what was going on I would have missed out despite being there all night. Dont remember the horses part mind

Got to the Fulwell end queue at about 05:00, didnt get a fycking ticket.

Didnt you have to cut a token out of the programme in those days as well?

Someone at work saying people were queuing outside Roker Park but Bob Murray didn't open the gates and then when he did lots of people pushed in and caused hell on. The police horses were out etc. Never heard this before can anyone confirm or deny this?
Soon sold out on the gates by the time the gatemen got their's out first.:lol:

Me, my mam and my older brother all camped out. Was a great night, weird but great. I was 11.

We still see some of the blokes who were queuing in front of us, we were up playing footy with them half the night.

We got to the front and there were two tickets left and the other lad in front wanted more than that so let me and my brother get them.

No bother.

You had to collect 3 vouchers..Ipswich..Plymouth and Boro..the Boro one had the double letter code which then came out in a draw to see if you got one or not..we went to the Boro game..Mainstand Paddock towards the Roker End..choice of two turnstiles..the one we went in the code was OO..load of lads from the Blue Bell they went in the one next to us and got OP..we got drawn out they didn't..:cool:

I got a £30 ticket for £50 off the Cumberland FA, unfortunately so did a few scousers and they had a better day than me but I had to be there so the price had to be paid. The gold card scheme or whatever it was at Sunderland wasn't any good for me so it was plan B.

Our coach was the last to leave the bus station. It took fuckin ages to get there, it started chucking it down and the windscreen wipers stopped working. Ended up having to stop on the A1 and it was touch and go whether we made it at all, fortunately they managed to get them working. I think we travelled at 50mph the whole way.

It must have left at about 4.30 in the morning or something and we just got to our seats for the pleasantries before the game. Shite match, followed by another long, shitty journey home.

IIRC it was the semi final where this happened. I lost out because of it despite camping out all night. Ended up getting a ticket through a family friend.

The Final ended up quite orderly.
Same, final was a doddle compared to the semi final

Camped outside Fulwell end Turnstiles as a 15 yr old. Quite some sights that night I can tell yer. Especially when pubs kicked out.

All was pretty fun until gimps at front of queue packed up their camping gear at 5am and there was a mass surge to move into the space they’d created. Absolute carnage with gear trampled on and bodies everywhere.

Damn site more exciting that Ticketmaster :)

And yes, semi not final
Good natured at first , then the pubs kicked out , then the nightclubs , chaos just before they went on sale

Last edited:

100% true. We queued from around 10.30pm all night, more and more turned up, rumours that the turnstiles would open at 7am, never materialised. In the end there were bags full of gold cards and cash being handed over to people at the front. And yes the police came in on horses and closed it on safety grounds. We joined a queue that ended up being for a fulwell end turnstile. About 10 in front of us when it closed so we missed out. I’m sure we then went to SJP for the derby that day or the day after (and got beat). Annoyingly it was the first season we didn’t buy a season ticket yet went to every match, including the Chelsea away game (I suppose that was our semi final in a way)

Same here, mind I was only 9 at the time. My granda sent me round to knock on David rush and ask for his autograph and also a couple of tickets. Never got any tickets.

Haha, I was slightly older than that! I remember crying in the car park at work when one of the lads asked me if our numbers had come out . His did :evil:
TBF he was gutted for me too.

Same, final was a doddle compared to the semi final

Good natured at first , then the pubs kicked out , then the nightclubs , chaos just before they went on sale

I'm sure I've told this story on here before.
There was a group of lads turned up near us at the Clock stand queue after the nightclubs turned out. They were pissed, but a good laugh. Anyway we all managed to get tickets.
We next saw them at Hillsborough when they turned up in fancy dress just in front of us about five minutes before kick off. One of them, who was dressed as a female SS officer complete with stockings and suspenders, climbed up onto a barrier lifted his skirt and flashed his bits (think he was wearing a thong mind)
He was promptly chucked out by the police and didn't see a minute of the match :lol:

Last edited:
100% true. We queued from around 10.30pm all night, more and more turned up, rumours that the turnstiles would open at 7am, never materialised. In the end there were bags full of gold cards and cash being handed over to people at the front. And yes the police came in on horses and closed it on safety grounds. We joined a queue that ended up being for a fulwell end turnstile. About 10 in front of us when it closed so we missed out. I’m sure we then went to SJP for the derby that day or the day after (and got beat). Annoyingly it was the first season we didn’t buy a season ticket yet went to every match, including the Chelsea away game (I suppose that was our semi final in a way)

That’s right.
Our group of about 6 or 8 that stayed all night ended up with the cash and gold cards for about 30 people who didn’t want to stay all night.
We charged about £5 per person to guarantee their ticket as we were right on one of the turnstiles for when it opened.

That’s right.
Our group of about 6 or 8 that stayed all night ended up with the cash and gold cards for about 30 people who didn’t want to stay all night.
We charged about £5 per person to guarantee their ticket as we were right on one of the turnstiles for when it opened.

We hadn’t planned anything. Actually we thought we were ahead of the game by staying at my grans with the plan of heading to the ground at about 7am. Then we saw the late Tyne Tees news, live reporters as ‘thousands descended on Roker Park.’ So we literally got in the car and got dropped off. No sleeping bags, barely a coat, no food or anything to drink, from memory. We just stood and queued all night. We were only 14 and 15 me and my cousin.

I got one for the final through good fortune (failed in the ballot) my cousin missed out on both. The Chelsea games were as good as it got. They were two amazing games mind

We queued for semi final tickets from about 11pm. The queues were already massive at that time. In the morning the police moved the outer layers of people against the wall to merge with the inner ring who had been there far longer, which obviously caused some unrest. Fortunately for me I was still close enough to the front to get a ticket.

For the final I had to send my Dad to get the voucher at the 'Boro game as I was at The Freddie Mercury concert at Wembley that day. He said he spent ages deciding which turnstile to use to get the lucky voucher. In the end he went for a gate near the middle of the Fulwell End. I was lucky again and my voucher got drawn out. He still tells me about his gate selection tactics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back