Question for the SMB Electricians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Due to my home's previous owners extending the porch next door's electricity meter is in my porch. Next door say they need to replace their fuse box which is in their kitchen but are saying the electrician needs me to be home while they do it because of access to my porch for the meter but as I'm self employed I'd basically have to take the time off without pay.

Can anyone tell me why they need access to the meter for this?

Thanks in advance

Next doors electricity company fuse is in your porch, they will need to pull it to change the DB... Just a thought

Due to my home's previous owners extending the porch next door's electricity meter is in my porch. Next door say they need to replace their fuse box which is in their kitchen but are saying the electrician needs me to be home while they do it because of access to my porch for the meter but as I'm self employed I'd basically have to take the time off without pay.

Thanks in advance
Just leave the porch open and lock the inner door whats the problem?

Thanks in advance
Do you and your neighbour both own your homes ? These must be old houses are they if a meter location fuck up like this has happened. Ive seen similar things before on really old kips, but anything remotely modern say up to 50yr old you would not expect this to happen.

Do you and your neighbour both own your homes ? These must be old houses are they if a meter location fuck up like this has happened. Ive seen similar things before on really old kips, but anything remotely modern say up to 50yr old you would not expect this to happen.

I own, next door rents. The porches of the odd numbered houses stuck out further than the even numbered ones & the meters were on the bit of wall that stuck out. All the even numbered houses have now built the porches out to cover the bit of wall the meters were on but as I said above the neighbour wasn't in when the meter was supposed to be moved.
Could you give your neighbour a key?

Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her & she's a big lass.

Last edited:
I own, next door rents. The porches of the odd numbered houses stuck out further than the even numbered ones & the meters were on the bit of wall that stuck out. All the even numbered houses have now built the porches out to cover the bit of wall the meters were on but as I said above the neighbour wasn't in when the meter was supposed to be moved.

Wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw her & she's a big lass.
Ah i understand now, when you mentioned extending the porch i imagined the width not the depth. So technically that wall that the meter is mounted on is the boundry line between you and next door.

Ah i understand now, when you mentioned extending the porch i imagined the width not the depth. So technically that wall that the meter is mounted on is the boundry line between you and next door.

Yes. Been trying to sort getting it moved for years but the tenants don't care & the landlady doesn't want to be bothered by the electricity companies if the tenants do a Dexy's without paying

Yes. Been trying to sort getting it moved for years but the tenants don't care & the landlady doesn't want to be bothered by the electricity companies if the tenants do a Dexy's without paying
Its unusual and a good job its not a key meter, shit loads of rental properties have key meters for the exact reason that loads of tenants were doing flits without paying the bill. If it was a key meter they would have to be in your porch every time they put any credit on the key or card. That meters technically on your property, if it was me i would insist it gets shifted. Its not a 5 minute job, probably expensive and would have to be sorted by the current supplier but none of thats your problem mate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back