Question for the SMB Electricians

Its unusual and a good job its not a key meter, shit loads of rental properties have key meters for the exact reason that loads of tenants were doing flits without paying the bill. If it was a key meter they would have to be in your porch every time they put any credit on the key or card. That meters technically on your property, if it was me i would insist it gets shifted. Its not a 5 minute job, probably expensive and would have to be sorted by the current supplier but none of thats your problem mate.

I've refused access to people turning up to change the meter to a key one in the past & told them not to come back without a court order or an agreement to shift it & never heard anything back.

I've refused access to people turning up to change the meter to a key one in the past & told them not to come back without a court order or an agreement to shift it & never heard anything back.
Fuckin too right, nee way id be havin the neighbours popping in the porch a couple of times a week to put credit on.
On the other hand next time let them change it, keep your porch locked and i bet that would force the issue on getting it moved.

Last edited:
Apparently it was was supposed to be moved to the other side of the dividing wall when the porch was extended but the neighbour forgot & went out & it never got done
I hesitate to post on this one, as "easements" are complicated. (For example, my next door neighbour has a fence post nailed/screwed into my detached house - but its been like that for decades, so I probably can't do anything about it)
But if its on your property and they were given fair chance to move it, I doubt you have a legal obligation to help them at your expense.
At THEIR expense, sure.

Last edited:
When a consumer unit is changed a double pole isolater is fitted now so the main fuse doesent need pulled next time. Maybe its that.

so do you read the meter for them?

When a consumer unit is changed a double pole isolater is fitted now so the main fuse doesent need pulled next time. Maybe its that.

so do you read the meter for them?

Yeah but mine's in the same cabinet so I do it at the same time & stick theirs through their letterbox.
I hesitate to post on this one, as "easements" are complicated. (For example, my next door neighbour has a fence post nailed/screwed into my detached house - but its been like that for decades, so I probably can't do anything about it)
But if its on your property and they were given fair chance to move it, I doubt you have a legal obligation to help them at your expense.
At THEIR expense, sure.

But how do I get people/organisations who have no interest in things changing to actually make the change at their own expense without involving solicitors & shelling out a ton of my own money.

Last edited:
Yeah but mine's in the same cabinet so I do it at the same time & stick theirs through their letterbox.

But how do I get people/organisations who have no interest in things changing to actually make the change at their own expense without involving solicitors & shelling out a ton of my own money.
Refuse access and that’ll force the landlords hand. It obviously needs changing because it’s dangerous, been condemned or something like that. The landlord will be fucked if they don’t change it.

Refuse access and that’ll force the landlords hand. It obviously needs changing because it’s dangerous, been condemned or something like that. The landlord will be fucked if they don’t change it.
This is probably it. They've likely just done their first ever landlord's electrical safety check (new legal requirement) and this is the work they have to do.

I wouldn't be out of pocket over it, not a chance.

Back