++++++ QPR v Sunderland match thread +++++

But in the Mings one, if the player had got to the ball a split second later, not touched Mings but intercepted the pass, I'd assume it would still be ruled out, which is pretty much what happened here? Probably not, but it's not too clear cut for me
It actually wouldn't be ruled out this season because if Mings plays the pass unchallenged and it's intercepted then the attacker isn't offside any more. It's a stupid rule but it's the same as an attacker being offside from a long ball hoofed up to him but the defender getting to it and then kicking a ball back to the keeper but the attacker intercepts it. It's all about interpreting if the ball has been 'played' I suppose . Though I think that sliding block playing Mbappe onside in the UEFA Nations Final was a joke as he had to attempt the block yet it was classed as deliberatly playing the ball.

as for the offside, this was in the lead up play

Whoever tweeted that doesn't know the offside rule I suppose. I've waffled on enough and hopefully a few more are aware of the rules for the next time summit dodgy happens, hopefully it's in our favour again though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
It actually wouldn't be ruled out this season because if Mings plays the pass unchallenged and it's intercepted then the attacker isn't offside any more. It's a stupid rule but it's the same as an attacker being offside from a long ball hoofed up to him but the defender getting to it and then kicking a ball back to the keeper but the attacker intercepts it. It's all about interpreting if the ball has been 'played' I suppose . Though I think that sliding block playing Mbappe onside in the UEFA Nations Final was a joke as he had to attempt the block yet it was classed as deliberatly playing the ball.

Whoever tweeted that doesn't know the offside rule I suppose. I've waffled on enough and hopefully a few more are aware of the rules for the next time summit dodgy happens, hopefully it's in our favour again though ;)

but don't you carry the offside on if you interfere with play (he was the next qpr player to touch the ball) even if you are then onside, it's still the same passage of play?

:lol: Hume was the best player on the pitch while he was on. We were smashing their right hand side to bits for 25 minutes until Hume went off. Corkin came on and we lost all cohesion on that side until the introduction of mcgeady.

Apart from the briefest of moments singing about sheds and a small amount of time singing about a TV presenter who hasn't played for 15 bloody years, the support was absolutely top notch! Our away fans are f***ing immense to be fair.
He couldn't keep the ball

He couldn't keep the ball

that was our biggest problem all night, giving the ball away too cheaply. him and Gooch were probably the worst though a few times our defenders just wellied/headed the ball up field to no one when they could have easily taken a touch first.

other than that it was an excellent, battling performance

It was an horrific decision mate and to be fair you should have gone through on the back of that goal.

We have had some hard times so will take anything going but I would be gutted if we had that ruled out and I am sure most on here will agree. I was happy with our performance given that it wasn't our full first XI and it was against a side around the play offs in a division above us. Looking at who is left in the competition, we are on a hiding to nothing now but hey ho....

Best of luck for the rest of the season.
Cheers mate
@White city Boy

Terrible decision imho, but you really didn't do enough to justify winning.
No we didn’t , we have been crap for a good few weeks , I didn’t fancy us at all last night

Last edited:
I think the difference is that the Sunderland player deliberately played the ball, starting a new phase in play
The law is there but I don't think a defender should be asked to make an offside decision before he plays the ball. Waiting to see if the attacker interferes with play is also wrong. Defenders and the keeper will take up positions based on the offside attacker. People were keen to defend the ref's decisions re. Charlton's goal and the Flanagan 'headbutt' but are keen to attack a decision that favours us.

The law is there but I don't think a defender should be asked to make an offside decision before he plays the ball. Waiting to see if the attacker interferes with play is also wrong. Defenders and the keeper will take up positions based on the offside attacker. People were keen to defend the ref's decisions re. Charlton's goal and the Flanagan 'headbutt' but are keen to attack a decision that favours us.
It's a strange rule that probably needs to be tweaked but the ref got it wrong as the rule stands. QPR goal was onside by the letter of the law

Back