Pubs that don’t track and trace

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been in 5 pubs and all have taken my details - 4 of them digitally.
Barely matters if 3 local boozers in your town tow the line, getting 40 or 50 customers through the door a day, when the local spoons have 600 or more a day passing through not giving their details.

Neither GDPR or the Data Protection Act 2018 prevent pubs from collecting customer’s personal data for the purposes of Track and Trace. They do, however, place obligations on pubs as the controllers of that personal data - obligations that pubs should already be familiar with whether from a simple employer perspective or in connection with their marketing activities.
Pubs that have a ‘visitors book’ accessible to all are probably skating on thin ice in terms of Data Protection compliance, but whether any enforcement action would be taken in the current circumstances is uncertain.
The simplest, safest, solution is probably to have a visitor’s book completed by staff (and not accessible by all and sundry) or just have individual slips available to customers to complete their details which the pub then collates.
Spot on really. A open book you can read everyone's names and numbers is far from protecting data. But no. No one is going to report the Kebab and Calculator to the data commissioner for it. Well it wouldn't be acted upon really.

Aye if you can't have someone taking the name and number on the way in then a secure box and a pile of slips.

Not sure if pubs have been guided on how long they need to retain the data for though?

Spot on really. A open book you can read everyone's names and numbers is far from protecting data. But no. No one is going to report the Kebab and Calculator to the data commissioner for it. Well it wouldn't be acted upon really.

Aye if you can't have someone taking the name and number on the way in then a secure box and a pile of slips.

Not sure if pubs have been guided on how long they need to retain the data for though?
Think it’s 3 weeks.
Our village pub asks for name and contact number and then do a temperature check.
No details no pint.
No problems to date.
One of the Exeter hospital surgeons was in the other night and made a point of congratulating the landlord on the set up.

21 days, I think

Sturgeon said earlier that taking details will become mandatory there next week. I know laws differ sometimes, but it shows that it's only been guidance so far.

21 days

Think it’s 3 weeks.
Our village pub asks for name and contact number and then do a temperature check.
No details no pint.
No problems to date.
One of the Exeter hospital surgeons was in the other night and made a point of congratulating the landlord on the set up.

Haway man :)

Fair enough marra. I believe you're in the trade so won't dispute what you're saying. However, the government guidance is very lose and I'm not sure how anything could be enforced using it. All it states is.

"You should assist this service by keeping a temporary record of your customers and visitors for 21 days, in a way that is manageable for your organisation, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed. This could help contain clusters or outbreaks".

The word "should" suggests that it's advisory to me.
Yep, it is guidance which I completely disagree with, it should have been mandatory. Local Authorities do have the power to interpret it however they want and if they believe not capturing track and trace data (or not implementing other parts of the guidance) constitutes a risk to public safety they can revoke the licence. It's not the way it should be as it means there will be differences from town to town but at least some authorities are taking it upon themselves to enforce the guidance.

Is it? Why do you think that?

FWIW I can think of many flaws in forehead temperature monitoring but I’m very interested in hearing what views you have on the subject.
Not sure on the accuracy of the check but I would guess it’s pretty reassuring for visitors that the pub is trying.

Not sure on the accuracy of the check but I would guess it’s pretty reassuring for visitors that the pub is trying.

I’m personally not reassured that the sensitivity of the infrared thermometers is accurate enough, plus some read well below the actual body temperature, so you have to assume that

1. The pub has procured validated and reliable thermometers

2. Has trained their staff on interpreting the temperature presented

It isn’t ridiculous to use them, but the quality of the thermometers isn’t reassuring. I own one - it thinks my forehead temperature is about 34.

I’m personally not reassured that the sensitivity of the infrared thermometers is accurate enough, plus some read well below the actual body temperature, so you have to assume that

1. The pub has procured validated and reliable thermometers

2. Has trained their staff on interpreting the temperature presented

It isn’t ridiculous to use them, but the quality of the thermometers isn’t reassuring. I own one - it thinks my forehead temperature is about 34.
Must be a cold blooded bugger then. About 36 I usually show

Must be a cold blooded bugger then. About 36 I usually show

That’s the problem with the IR thermometers, I bought one off Amazon or EBay from some Chinese manufacturer to test some underfloor heating and it sat in a draw little used.

I have an in ear one which always reads about 3-4c higher.

Either that or I am dead and this is my own private hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back