Publish a book

Always a good sign. :lol:

Nobody reads any of mine until I've finished the whole lot and edited it many times.

Your first paragraph leads to the best advice you can ever give an aspiring writer. It always sounds flippant but 'start writing'. You'll never know until you put words on a page. You don't need fancy tools or a degree in creative writing, just a pen and paper or a computer.

@Epping may have got there before you. ;)

Is that what he's done or is he just really bad at writing?

This series of blogs is more about how long it takes and what's involved in writing a novel, so maybe not for the OP although the last two may be of interest.

My process has changed again with the fifth novel and I now have a professional editing tool, ProWritingAid. Gives a great insight into how the novel is shaping up.
It's interesting to see how others approach this kind of stuff. I generally don't plot my stories before I start (did with The Wanderer up to a point) but I have hundreds of pieces of paper floating around with ideas written on them. I still have them all for The Wanderer, loads of loose sheets and a couple of notebooks. I'll see if I can dig them out and photograph them. I often don't write them chronologically either. I've written the endings for a few of my stories well before I should have just because an irresistible idea hit me. I think this method is useful as it gives you a bit of focus as to where you're going to take the story. Didn't have a phone when I did the novel, but now I make notes on my mobile too. Saves time as I can email them to myself and edit them on my laptop. I looked at a pro writing tool as some of the options seemed useful but baulked at the price. Didn't seem worth it when I write so sporadically these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do like post apocalyptic stuff if you want to retain anonymity then message me your authors name and I'll have a read, really good advice I'll crack on editing. One thing I found is the early chapters are much worse than the later chapters as weirdly I kind of "found my voice" - I know bollixy arty phrase - after about 20,000 words.

Oddly enough its about the global pandemic as the main story arc and then partial observations, partial ranting (The Catholic church, Donald Trump, Peter Sutcliffe and the Nazi's are all recurring themes) bit of false biography and its all very tongue in cheek and slightly offensive without expecting to be taken seriously. Having just re-read that it sounds shit 8)
:lol::lol:

One of the world's best selling authors used to get on here, not sure if he still is like.
Him and I are planning to do a book if possible.

It's interesting to see how others approach this kind of stuff. I generally don't plot my stories before I start (did with The Wanderer up to a point) but I have hundreds of pieces of paper floating around with ideas written on them. I still have them all for The Wanderer, loads of loose sheets and a couple of notebooks. I'll see if I can dig them out and photograph them. I often don't write them chronologically either. I've written the endings for a few of my stories well before I should have just because an irresistible idea hit me. I think this method is useful as it gives you a bit of focus as to where you're going to take the story. Didn't have a phone when I did the novel, but now I make notes on my mobile too. Saves time as I can email them to myself and edit them on my laptop. I looked at a pro writing tool as some of the options seemed useful but baulked at the price. Didn't seem worth it when I write so sporadically these days.
My approach has evolved and has changed again since I wrote those blogs.
I didn't pay for the editing tool, I got it as part of a bursary award, but even if I'd paid, I think I'd have had my money's worth.
It's not perfect but works for me and also integrates with Scrivener so I only have to make the change in one place.

One of the world's best selling authors used to get on here, not sure if he still is like.
Him and I are planning to do a book if possible.
After you told me about him, I had a google, and well I never eh? Fair play to the lad. I would never have thought it when we used to meet up with you at the match.

After you told me about him, I had a google, and well I never eh? Fair play to the lad. I would never have thought it when we used to meet up with you at the match.
Nope, amazing isn't it. He credits me with getting him to do it but it was all him.

To be fair a bloke stalking a Sky Sports female would be the plot for a Ben Elton novel
@Ceverton so how did you get that stage of talking about a publishing deal? Have you written before? Any help appreciated
I am a nutritionist and my mate is a top chef, together we have a beauty of a recipe book.

Are you lot active on Reddit? I follow the subreddits r/ books, fantasy and a sci-fi one. Also r/free e-books. I often get a freebie and then buy other books by the same author. The AMA (ask me anything) are a great thing to get readers interested in new authors.

I read The Wanderer last night. Quite enjoyed that!

Kept my interest and didn’t put it down until I was finished..... which was probably a mistake considering how tired I was after having a busy work oncall cover Yesterday. Kept saying to myself “one more page then I’ll put it down”

It isn't. :lol: She'll be hearing from my lawyers. ;)
I read The Wanderer last night. Quite enjoyed that!

Kept my interest and didn’t put it down until I was finished..... which was probably a mistake considering how tired I was after having a busy work oncall cover Yesterday. Kept saying to myself “one more page then I’ll put it down”
That's praise indeed! Glad you liked it. A short review on Amazon would do wonders for my sales and, if you're on Goodreads I'd appreciate it if you could give me a positive rating. 👍🏻
Are you lot active on Reddit? I follow the subreddits r/ books, fantasy and a sci-fi one. Also r/free e-books. I often get a freebie and then buy other books by the same author. The AMA (ask me anything) are a great thing to get readers interested in new authors.
It's something I've never really done. Can you pop a link up so I can have a peruse?

Last edited by a moderator:

That's praise indeed! Glad you liked it. A short review on Amazon would do wonders for my sales and, if you're on Goodreads I'd appreciate it if you could give me a positive rating. 👍🏻

Done :)

“I really enjoyed reading The Wanderer. I am a big fan of dystopian genre, and this was a slight different angle of just a young man trying to survive one day at a time.

I liked the idea of somebody who doesn’t conveniently have skill set to survive, but every day a challenge, having to learn survival by trial and error. His fear of the unknown is well written.”

Done :)

“I really enjoyed reading The Wanderer. I am a big fan of dystopian genre, and this was a slight different angle of just a young man trying to survive one day at a time.

I liked the idea of somebody who doesn’t conveniently have skill set to survive, but every day a challenge, having to learn survival by trial and error. His fear of the unknown is well written.”
Thanks a lot. Reviews often mean a boost in sales, so I appreciate you taking the time.

Thanks a lot. Reviews often mean a boost in sales, so I appreciate you taking the time.

No bother at all.

I‘m a bit jealous because I’ve got an idea for a dystopian book. But just don’t have the patience or concentration levels to actually put my idea down in actual words.

I’ve got this idea floating around my head of a dystopian journal/diary. A survivor whose thoughts start off as positive but then change as time passes. His/her journey through the world, meeting other survivors. But having a twist of something happening to the journal keeper and a fellow survivor picks up and continues the writing....

I actually got the idea from the SMB zombie survival threads :D

It's something I've never really done. Can you pop a link up so I can have a peruse?
This is the one I find most helpful for good book recommendations;

Back