Public Health England - PPE

Smiler

Striker
So the government's Public Health England department has decided to downgrade PPE. After telling us time and time again they are getting us the relevant PPE and that staff complaining we don't have enough just need to make a phone call, they are now telling us that masks can be worn for a full session.

My trust has reviewed this and has now told us we are to turn up to work and at the start of our shift, we wait outside the ward until someone inside comes and gives us one surgical mask and one pair of protective goggles. The goggles we keep indefinitely and it's up to ourselves to clean them and the surgical mask which only 2 days ago was single use only and only good for 20 minutes usage, we now have to wear for the full 12.5hr shift and we don't take them off.
Friday morning, I'd just finished doing 75 hours in 7 days, I'm f***ing knackered, unable to sleep and now I read this.
The Tories not happy they weren't able to play with the general publics lives with their 'herd immunity' bollocks have decided to play with NHS staff and patients lives instead. You couldn't f***ing make it up.

I’ve got zero idea of what’s right or wrong in this situation but I know I’d always back your view over any government officials view. You have my full support and that of every man, woman and child in this country. Your all heroes and I sincerely wish you all the very best. Try and get some rest.

So the government's Public Health England department has decided to downgrade PPE. After telling us time and time again they are getting us the relevant PPE and that staff complaining we don't have enough just need to make a phone call, they are now telling us that masks can be worn for a full session.

My trust has reviewed this and has now told us we are to turn up to work and at the start of our shift, we wait outside the ward until someone inside comes and gives us one surgical mask and one pair of protective goggles. The goggles we keep indefinitely and it's up to ourselves to clean them and the surgical mask which only 2 days ago was single use only and only good for 20 minutes usage, we now have to wear for the full 12.5hr shift and we don't take them off.
Friday morning, I'd just finished doing 75 hours in 7 days, I'm f***ing knackered, unable to sleep and now I read this.
The Tories not happy they weren't able to play with the general publics lives with their 'herd immunity' bollocks have decided to play with NHS staff and patients lives instead. You couldn't f***ing make it up.

I feel for you mate. You're doing a cracking job in very difficult circumstances. I really appreciate the efforts you have gone to looking after folks and hope you get the PPE sorted out. Look after yourself 😘

There were no plans in place by PHE for such a pandemic, hence no equipment....it's a joke that NHS staff are being put at risk, lambs to the slaughter.
It makes me laugh the supposed risk assessments they have in place are worthless and yet in industry H&S is given a much higher priority

It's clear this single use PPE has to go the journey. I always presumed you had your own personal respirator like we do.

Yes but you're just one person not the voice of the health service PPE is on the way health service workers should only raise this through the proper channels the government is on top of the PPE no government could do better stop politicising this (etc etc).

Take care, mate. You're doing an amazing job.

The government keep saying they have them but the distribution is the problem. That is not acceptable

That's why the military are now getting involved. Once we're through the 'don't tell me how to do my job' phase stuff will start moving more freely. There'll also be a priority list and if the priority areas keep burning through PPE other places won't get it.

That's why the military are now getting involved. Once we're through the 'don't tell me how to do my job' phase stuff will start moving more freely. There'll also be a priority list and if the priority areas keep burning through PPE other places won't get it.

I get that the military will get it moving. Why wasn't this done last week? Or the week before? They are valid questions and quite right the government are criticised and challenged on it

Bloody hell, really feel for you. It must be absolutely terrifying. Really hope you manage to get more supplies and get sorted with everything you need. The safety of everyone working in the NHS should be their absolute top priority.

Take care mate.
Jesus mate this is awful.
Surely the government should be supplying you all with respirators in that situation.

maybe it’s time to start some kind of crowdfunding, if the government don’t do its job, you can guarantee the public will.
I thought about that myself, I've seen crowdfunding drum up some massive funds for people in their hour of need, imagine how much a cause such as this would gather? The only problem I can see would be getting it all set up, who would you trust to give money to on behalf of the NHS..?

Last edited:
Jesus mate this is awful.
Surely the government should be supplying you all with respirators in that situation.

maybe it’s time to start some kind of crowdfunding, if the government don’t do its job, you can guarantee the public will.

This was on politics board so hopefully more see it here.
Take care mate.

I thought about that myself, I've seen crowdfunding drum up some massive funds for people in their hour of need, imagine how much a cause such as this would gather? The only problem I can see would be getting it all set up, who would you trust to give money to on behalf of the NHS..?

See the link I posted mate. Set up by drs

take care mate, i think its a disgrace the way front line staff are being treated

I get that the military will get it moving. Why wasn't this done last week? Or the week before? They are valid questions and quite right the government are criticised and challenged on it

There are all sorts of reasons why things don't happen when they should. Government failure is one option, but that would require us to believe government controls the entire NHS logistics operation right down to the scheduling and priority of shipments which seems unlikely.

There are all sorts of reasons why things don't happen when they should. Government failure is one option, but that would require us to believe government controls the entire NHS logistics operation right down to the scheduling and priority of shipments which seems unlikely.
We have one senior NHS person on here providing good insights, or we can keep letting the govt of the hook. I appreciate with your job you are paid to toe the line mind, but at some point you have to take a step back

And here he us our resident Conservative party spokesman. 😕

Back