Ps5 with sky internet help

sons just got a ps5 in his bedroom and it’s lagging and won’t stream games off plasytion and takes forever to download plus it’s saying internet is too unstable to stream , can anyone help it’s the fastest sky broadband in our area you can get and have two sky boosters upstairs. Ronaldo speed is like 65mbps and upload is only 4.5 with a high of 9 mbps

sons just got a ps5 in his bedroom and it’s lagging and won’t stream games off plasytion and takes forever to download plus it’s saying internet is too unstable to stream , can anyone help it’s the fastest sky broadband in our area you can get and have two sky boosters upstairs. Ronaldo speed is like 65mbps and upload is only 4.5 with a high of 9 mbps
Ronaldo speed is out of date now mate, want to upgrade to around 100 Mbappebits per second to stop the lag.
Honestly, not too sure… I use powerline adaptors for my PS5 upstairs when the router is downstairs, have no issues.

Last edited:

Try running a cable to it direct from the router.

Is there anything blocking or shielding the ps5? Bookcase, desk, telly, stonewall etc.

if you can’t run Ethernet to it you could try powerline adapters but I think both nodes must be on the same ring main.

If you do get powerline adapters, do not cheap out, get ones ‘rated’ faster than the 1000mbps your routers Ethernet ports can do because you will never see the speed advertised so it’s better to overshoot and have it get as close to 1gig as possible.

You wanna see what the signal quality is by checking the RSSI figure, log into the router and find the ps5 in the wireless connected devices and it should tell you. Try moving the booster to get a lower RSSI ie -68 instead of -84. Reboot the router and the booster, make sure it’s connected using the 5ghz network and make sure the booster isn’t too close to another one.

Even with high end mesh networks wireless backbaul isn’t a patch on wired.

Last edited:
Ronaldo speed is out of date now mate, want to upgrade to around 100 Mbappebits per second to stop the lag.
Honestly, not too sure… I use powerline adaptors for my PS5 upstairs when the router is downstairs, have no issues.
Aye think that’s the next step
Try running a cable to it direct from the router.

Is there anything blocking or shielding the ps5? Bookcase, desk, telly, stonewall etc.
Can’t hard wire it mate it’s upstairs router downstairs signal is 100% as one of the boosters is in his room is just saying Wi-F is unstable when trying to stream games it’s everything else is fine
if you can’t run Ethernet to it you could try powerline adapters but I think both nodes must be on the same ring main.

If you do get powerline adapters, do not cheap out, get ones ‘rated’ faster than the 1000mbps your routers Ethernet ports can do because you will never see the speed advertised so it’s better to overshoot and have it get as close to 1gig as possible.

You wanna see what the signal quality is by checking the RSSI figure, log into the router and find the ps5 in the wireless connected devices and it should tell you. Try moving the booster to get a lower RSSI ie -68 instead of -84. Reboot the router and the booster, make sure it’s connected using the 5ghz network and make sure the booster isn’t too close to another one.

Even with high end mesh networks wireless backbaul isn’t a patch on wired.
Wonder if sky will just put a hardwire socket in his bedroom

Last edited:
Can’t hard wire it mate it’s upstairs router downstairs signal is 100% as one of the boosters is in his room is just saying Wi-F is unstable when trying to stream games it’s everything else is fine.
I was meaning as a test. If a cable works then it’s something with the WiFi signal rather than the connection from the router to the internet.

You will have issues until you go on a wire. How many mb’s it is makes not a bit of difference if it’s not stable.

I have the same issues, ended up running a cable to the boys pc.

You will have issues until you go on a wire. How many mb’s it is makes not a bit of difference if it’s not stable.

I have the same issues, ended up running a cable to the boys pc.
Aye it says it’s not stable on ps
They won’t do owt. It’s a wifi issue.

You could try ps5 in living room and see how it works. Just because sky says it’s fast have you done a speed test in other places.
The guarantee Wi-Fi in ever from out contracts up so will say leaving unless they sort it

Last edited:
Will the booster work if it's in his room? It'll just be picking up the same poor signal his PS5 is. I've not used one but I think it's supposed to be in an area with decent signal between the router and his room, where it can then relay the signal to his room.

Will the booster work if it's in his room? It'll just be picking up the same poor signal his PS5 is. I've not used one but I think it's supposed to be in an area with decent signal between the router and his room, where it can then relay the signal to his room.
Is another one on the landing outside his room mate it’s ridiculous man sky internet can’t even be picked up in the kitchen hardly and the routers in next room downstairs must have a range of about 5 metres

Is another one on the landing outside his room mate it’s ridiculous man sky internet can’t even be picked up in the kitchen hardly and the routers in next room downstairs must have a range of about 5 metres
Is there a decent signal outside his room? Is it the type of booster you could run a cable from?

TBF I had Sky in before Grain. Made sure the router was right in the middle of the house downstairs and I didn't have any issues with it. Had more problems with Virgin and Grain with not being able to move their routers from where they put them. Might be worth contacting Sky cos they could run through some troubleshooting with you.

Is there a decent signal outside his room? Is it the type of booster you could run a cable from?

TBF I had Sky in before Grain. Made sure the router was right in the middle of the house downstairs and I didn't have any issues with it. Had more problems with Virgin and Grain with not being able to move their routers from where they put them. Might be worth contacting Sky cos they could run through some troubleshooting with you.
Yeah but we have to have a booster on the upstairs landing when the sky router is in the room directly below , then one in his bedroom that’s about 5 m away from the upstairs landing router

Yeah but we have to have a booster on the upstairs landing when the sky router is in the room directly below , then one in his bedroom that’s about 5 m away from the upstairs landing router
Would deffo check with Sky. Could be that some neighbours have their WiFi on the same channel range and it's causing interference. They can talk you through checking all of that.

Aye think that’s the next step

Can’t hard wire it mate it’s upstairs router downstairs signal is 100% as one of the boosters is in his room is just saying Wi-F is unstable when trying to stream games it’s everything else is fine

Wonder if sky will just put a hardwire socket in his bedroom

I had a similar problem with mine, I can download games and updates ok with wi-fi but couldn't play one which required connection to the game servers. The PS5 internet connection test couldn't identify NAT type and I was able to fix it by connecting an ethernet cable using powerline adapters.

Before you spend any money on a solution, you'll probably want to know exactly what the problem is.

Is the wifi signal too weak? (can you put another wifi enabled device in his room and use it fine?)
Is there interference on the wifi channel your using? (Change the channel, see if the signal improves/degrades) The Wifi Analyser app (android) is good at finding channels with the least interference.
Is something else on the network using all of your bandwidth? (Turn on Quality of Service (QoS) settings in the router and ensure that the PS5 has enough reserved bandwidth)
Is the PS5 having trouble with the Wifi setup (Settings like combined 2.4/5ghz wifi sometimes give certain devices trouble, particularly if the PS5 is switching between the two signals a lot) (Consider separating the two signals and connecting the PS5 to just 2.4ghz as it has the best range)

Last edited:

Back