Proven People

my 10p worth, on playing in bars

all about striking some form of balance. a broad mixture of eras and genres at a volume where those trying to enjoy a hard earned evening out, can spend a few hours with friends, relax and hopefully hear some music they know and love, and some other bits they don't - but enjoy

as i'd said earlier, a lot of people who've been asked to play, have been hand picked. yes, they may be known to play house (nothing wrong with that), but 5 hours behind the decks, gives those a chance to go through their record collections and pull it all together

i've played with a couple of the lads mentioned earlier at a sunday session i helped to do, early 2000's until about 2011 and they came equipped with some tracks that shaped and influenced their tastes - pink floyd, john martyn, soul. a joy to listen to

a real difference between those with a few years under their belts and kites and the younger wave of dj's, is the older ones treat it as a bit of fun and a chance to play records at a volume they can't at home :lol: and aren't trying to 'build their brand' or have to make people dance. it can also be a rare night out for them too (the dj's), so it'd take a moron to want to mess that up

place like this are a rarity and i hope that people will get behind it
covid issues, so i'll not be there tomorrow night :(

Last edited:
I forgot to get my round in there on Saturday (genuinely) and was walking round past Yates when the bouncer came running up and asked us if we could pay for our drinks :oops:

@Super Colin Todd

i was wondering if you'd been in there the night they were playing at PP, or just going off past experience?
Past experience and their musical roots.....It's embedded in deep house, which sadly, i detest! But they're good blokes who are bringing some much needed culture to sunderland!
:lol:

What would be your top pick like toddy?
I would have it as electronically diverse as i could mate....And not just stick to 4 to floor!

Last edited:
Past experience and their musical roots.....It's embedded in deep house, which sadly, i detest! But they're good blokes who are bringing some much needed culture to sunderland!

I would have it as electronically diverse as i could mate....And not just stick to 4 to floor!
if the dj's are playing stuff from their collection and has influenced them, then you'd be getting some of that - as well as the 'deep house'

Back