Press conference

He was positive about squad memebers because its a three game week and he will need them to start games. Doubt against Plymouth it will be much different to Boro but then he has to manage the players for the Huddersfield game. Mentioned Ba on the inside with Roberts out wide so maybe Bellingham will get a rest soon.

The man's a fkin buffoon, His crack is mingin
Naaa. ^This^ is what minging cracking looks like.
I was dead against Beale not so long ago . Since the formation change I can see what he's trying to do really.

For all saying we played poorly on Sunday, stats may tell you otherwise. I feel we had a 30 mins period where we were under the cosh and that doesn't apply for the other 60. We had more shots at goals, more corners, and their keeper had more shots to save. Goes without saying the stats will tell you we should have really beat Hull, another play off contender. Again, Ipswich was a closely contested game and on another day we win that.

Slowly but surely it's starting to work. Playing Burstow will never help him and I think Styles energy will help implement Beales style of play.
Well there's a post I didn't expect to see this morning, just because as you say, you were dead set against him.

There's a long way to go but if the tide is turning that can only mean things are looking a bit brighter, and lets hope it continues.

Last edited:
Naaa. ^This^ is what minging cracking looks like.

Well there's a post I didn't expect to see this morning, just because as you say, you were dead set against him.

There's a long way to go but if the tide is turning that can only mean things are looking a bit brighter, and lets hope it continues.

Some people will never be pleased. I want the bloke to do well. What he was coming out with wasn't great at the start, and he seemed to stick with Mowbrays formation to begin with.

He's since changed that and I'm beginning to like what he has to say. Long long way to go, and we must win tomorrow

Working on us getting the ball crossed in more, and getting bodies in there to take advantage of it.
Interestingly I just looked at our crossing stats for the season and the games where we've crossed the most, we've lost (or drawn v 10 men):

L Ipswich H
D Swansea A
L Plymouth A
L Huddersfield H
L Hull H

I guess it's a desperation thing, maybe. Not sure. Just thought it stood out. The real skill would be to analyse why

Interestingly I just looked at our crossing stats for the season and the games where we've crossed the most, we've lost (or drawn v 10 men):

L Ipswich H
D Swansea A
L Plymouth A
L Huddersfield H
L Hull H

I guess it's a desperation thing, maybe. Not sure. Just thought it stood out. The real skill would be to analyse why
Only 1% of crosses result in a goal (in the Premier League, anyway). Surprisingly low to me, but it does explain why we play a lot narrower under Beale. Teams simply don't score that many from crosses, generally.

I think Beale may have been referring to a couple of chances we've had where Clarke or Ba have done all the hard work of getting the ball into the box and playing it across goal, and there's been nobody there to capitalise.

@10 Trenches Deep highlighted this stat in his recent YouTube video. A quick Google search suggests he may have got that from here:

Last edited:
Only 1% of crosses result in a goal (in the Premier League, anyway). Surprisingly low to me, but it does explain why we play a lot narrower under Beale. Teams simply don't score that many from crosses, generally.

I think Beale may have been referring to a couple of chances we've had where Clarke or Ba have done all the hard work of getting the ball into the box and playing it across goal, and there's been nobody there to capitalise.

@10 Trenches Deep[USER] highlighted this stat in his recent YouTube video. A quick Google search suggests he may have got that from here:
[URL unfurl="true"]https://www.researchgate.net/publication/255698488_Crossing_in_Soccer_has_a_Strong_Negative_Impact_on_Scoring_Evidence_from_the_English_Premier_League#:~:text=Set%20play%20crosses%20(after%20free,to%20a%20goal%20on%20average.[/URL]
And of those 5 games we've only scored 2 goals (not from crosses iirc). So yes, throwing loads of crosses in doesn't necessarily mean goals.

I haven't watched his latest one yet, look forward to it. That link reminds me that something like 20% accuracy from crosses is considered pretty good. It's quite low percentage way to play the game. The 1% surprises me as being very low as well

Last edited:
And of those 5 games we've only scored 2 goals (not from crosses iirc). So yes, throwing loads of crosses in doesn't necessarily mean goals.

I haven't watched his latest one yet, look forward to it. That link reminds me that something like 20% accuracy from crosses is considered pretty good. It's quite low percentage way to play the game. The 1% surprises me as being very low as well
A team as good as ours at keeping the ball and getting the ball up the pitch from the back would be wasting their possession and position, I think.

I’d also say our accuracy has probably been worse than 20% this season. The corners and free kicks Pritchard had been putting in were generally below par, for me.

Food for thought.

A team as good as ours at keeping the ball and getting the ball up the pitch from the back would be wasting their possession and position, I think.

I’d also say our accuracy has probably been worse than 20% this season. The corners and free kicks Pritchard had been putting in were generally below par, for me.

Food for thought.
Sorry I'm getting well into this now. Haven't looked at them all but:

Clarke is on 12% this season
Roberts is on 20%
Pritchard was 13%
Ba is 5%.
Hume is 14%

Only Roberts with a decent score really and you're right, the average will be way below 20%

Last edited:
Sorry I'm getting well into this now. Haven't looked at them all but:

Clarke is on 12% this season
Roberts is on 20%
Pritchard was 13%
Ba is 5%.
Hume is 14%

Only Roberts with a decent score really and you're right, the average will be way below 20%
Weird, Roberts is the best crosser of a ball but the joint least productive in terms of assists.

Weird, Roberts is the best crosser of a ball but the joint least productive in terms of assists.
Yep. It’s worth noting that the actual numbers behind these percentages are things like 7 to 10 connected crossed. I think Clarke has the most with 10. So perhaps it’s no surprise they’re not a productive avenue for us

Yep. It’s worth noting that the actual numbers behind these percentages are things like 7 to 10 connected crossed. I think Clarke has the most with 10. So perhaps it’s no surprise they’re not a productive avenue for us
Makes the lack of through balls all the more bemusing, they look like they actually would work. I think Beale has been working on a more “ mixed economy” of chances being created so hopefully that will bear fruit.

Back