press conference

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s fair enough, but we need to know we have the right man ahead of this stability

At the moment the main reasons for Ross is “I like him” and “I want some manager stability”. I echo those two points, however it’s not exactly a glowing reference for him

Let’s hope something does start to click. I’d still like Ross to make it here, but I’m not sure he’ll do it
It'd be great if he went on to get automatic this season, got some goals and the team clicked. It just seems incredibly unlikely with him

That’s fair enough, but we need to know we have the right man ahead of this stability

At the moment the main reasons for Ross is “I like him” and “I want some manager stability”. I echo those two points, however it’s not exactly a glowing reference for him

Let’s hope something does start to click. I’d still like Ross to make it here, but I’m not sure he’ll do it

There are plenty of reasons to not want rid of him yet, "stability" isn't one of them for me. Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we're within a stone's throw of being top of the table and some folks are shouting to get rid of him. I could understand if he was doing a Moyes or a Grayson and we were losing game after game but we're winning almost every game for the last month or so, including a Premier League team in the cup! It's f***ing insane!

:lol: I've waited 62 years for a bit of success, and I was one of the lucky ones to have seen the 73 cup win, nobody can say SAFC fans are inpatient.
Well if you're old enough to have had to learn arithmetic at school, can you please tell me what 2019 minus 1973 equals.

Last edited:
There are plenty of reasons to not want rid of him yet, "stability" isn't one of them for me. Personally I think it's absolutely ridiculous that we're within a stone's throw of being top of the table and some folks are shouting to get rid of him. I could understand if he was doing a Moyes or a Grayson and we were losing game after game but we're winning almost every game for the last month or so, including a Premier League team in the cup! It's f***ing insane!

It’s not insane, it’s a sensible discussion to be had.

We’ve won 5 of our last 15 league games in the old 3rd division. If you want to add the play offs then it would be 6 wins in 18...

All I want is for him to pick what is his best 11 and stick with them for 5 games.

Its league 1, they will have odd bad games but sticking with an 11 will see them actually gel. That in itself could see a 10% rise in performances. It would help defence and attack.

This crack about it looking like an 11 strangers every week. That's because in football terms they are.

It’s not insane, it’s a sensible discussion to be had.

We’ve won 5 of our last 15 league games in the old 3rd division. If you want to add the play offs then it would be 6 wins in 18...

I'm not counting any of last season. It's a blank slate as far as I'm concerned. Last year we did quite well but not quite as well as we fans had hoped but he didn't fail by much and we got to a cup final at the same time. Last year was reasonable enough for his first season, and if his previous jobs are anything to go by he tends to do better in his second year.

We're now into that second year and as per his prior form he's been doing well. We've lost one game, drawn a few and won the rest, while he acknowledges there are ways that we can improve and he's working towards that end. That's pretty good going to me. IMO we shouldn't be anywhere near talking about sacking him.
All I want is for him to pick what is his best 11 and stick with them for 5 games.

Its league 1, they will have odd bad games but sticking with an 11 will see them actually gel. That in itself could see a 10% rise in performances. It would help defence and attack.

This crack about it looking like an 11 strangers every week. That's because in football terms they are.

I disagree there's any such thing as a "best 11" anymore and personally I'm glad he's not picking the same players every week for a couple of reasons.

1. We should tailor our starting 11 depending on the opposition we're playing. If they're particularly strong in the air, we wouldn't want to play a strategy/starting 11 based on high balls. Similarly, if the opposition is good on the ground but shite in the air then it would be madness to try to play on the ground against them.

2. Over the course of the season, between injuries and suspensions, there are going to be times when potential "first choice" players are unavailable, and when that happens it is handy to have players in reserve that have also been getting first team experience. Rotation of players allows you to keep more than 11 players properly match fit for the occasions when you don't have a choice but to play the "reserve".

3. With the number of games we have in a season, playing players too often makes them more susceptible to injury and complacency. Rotating the squad gives players a chance to have a rest while also letting them know that there's competition for their position, so they'd better keep working hard or lose their place.

4. We have a number of young players that aren't quite ready to be starting every game but aren't far off and need to gain more match experience. Rotating the squad gives them that opportunity.

All in all, I would be seriously worried if we were starting the same 11 players every week.

Last edited:
I'm not counting any of last season. It's a blank slate as far as I'm concerned. Last year we did quite well but not quite as well as we fans had hoped but he didn't fail by much and we got to a cup final at the same time. Last year was reasonable enough for his first season, and if his previous jobs are anything to go by he tends to do better in his second year.

We're now into that second year and as per his prior form he's been doing well. We've lost one game, drawn a few and won the rest, while he acknowledges there are ways that we can improve and he's working towards that end. That's pretty good going to me. IMO we shouldn't be anywhere near talking about sacking him.

We’ve won 5 out of the last 15 league games (6 in 18 including play offs) - If you want to go back further then we’ve only won 13 out of the last 31 (or 14/34)

Why are we discounting last season? Of course that’s a relevant part of the debate. We’re in the same league. We’ve the same manager. Why just “dismiss” it? I can guarantee you would be using it for your argument if we’d won the last 5 games last season...

Our record throughout 2019 would have us outside the play offs.

I’m not even fully Ross out, but I can certainly see why there’s a debate going on.

Last edited:
We’ve won 5 out of the last 15 league games (6 in 18 including play offs)

Why are we discounting last season? Of course that’s a relevant part of the debate. We’re in the same league. We’ve the same manager. Why just “dismiss” it? I can guarantee you would be using it for your argument if we’d won the last 5 games last season...

Our record throughout 2019 would have us outside the play offs.

I’m not even fully Ross out, but I can certainly see why there’s a debate going on.

If you're going to count last season, why just count the last 15/18 games? If those games are relevant then why aren't the rest of last season's games?

Last season as a whole wasn't too bad. We ran out of steam at the end probably due to the backlog of matches we had and we got hamstrung by McGeady's injury in the run in, but otherwise still made the playoffs and a cup final despite losing our top scorer and his replacement failing to settle in time.

I jus
If you're going to count last season, why just count the last 15/18 games? If those games are relevant then why aren't the rest of last season's games?

Last season as a whole wasn't too bad. We ran out of steam at the end probably due to the backlog of matches we had and we got hamstrung by McGeady's injury in the run in, but otherwise still made the playoffs and a cup final despite losing our top scorer and his replacement failing to settle in time.
i just can’t get my head around last season being not ‘too bad’.
Yes lots of extenuating circumstances but we had our worst ever league finish, and Barnsley / Luton / charlton went up instead of us. All three had circumstances going against them too, one of them being budgets a fraction of ours.

I jus

i just can’t get my head around last season being not ‘too bad’.
Yes lots of extenuating circumstances but we had our worst ever league finish, and Barnsley / Luton / charlton went up instead of us. All three had circumstances going against them too, one of them being budgets a fraction of ours.

Sick of hearing this "lowest ever league position" tripe.

It didn't matter where we finished last season, it was going to be at best our joint worst league position ever. It's an absolutely meaningless fact.

We have the biggest budget in the league, we ought to be beating the majority of teams in the league
How many league games have we won this calendar year - not enough for promotion- so its failure

If we were actually playing decent football with a clear style but unluckily drawing leaving us currently 10th I would be happier.
What I am seeing on the pitch is another play-off lottery as our current hoofball after 30 minutes play will not keep us top two.

Also....
1) I have plans that weekend
2) Our record is not joyful in them

We have the biggest budget in the league, we ought to be beating the majority of teams in the league
How many league games have we won this calendar year - not enough for promotion- so its failure

If we were actually playing decent football with a clear style but unluckily drawing leaving us currently 10th I would be happier.
What I am seeing on the pitch is another play-off lottery as our current hoofball after 30 minutes play will not keep us top two.

Also....
1) I have plans that weekend
2) Our record is not joyful in them

You'd rather we were playing well but not picking up points, than winning games but not yet gelling?

Sorry like, but personally I'd rather we played dull football and won games, and I don't even agree that this year's football has been dull. I've been enjoying it so far.

I missed the first half of the Rotherham game and only saw the second half, in which I thought we were more exciting than we had been in the 3-1 win at the weekend despite only drawing, but I haven't seen any of the people that had been saying "we want more exciting football" after the 3-1 win complimenting Ross or the team for the "more exciting" draw.

And rightly so IMO. Wins are more important to me than entertainment.

Last edited:
Sorry like, but personally I'd rather we played dull football and won games, and I don't even agree that this year's football has been dull. I've been enjoying it so far.

I missed the first half of the Rotherham game and only saw the second half, in which I thought we were more exciting than we had been in the 3-1 win at the weekend despite only drawing, but I haven't seen any of the people that had been saying "we want more exciting football" after the 3-1 win complimenting Ross or the team for the "more exciting" draw.

And rightly so IMO. Wins are more important to me than entertainment.

Getting results playing crap in a crapper league is no foundation to build our future on.
Also shows a poor coaching set up.

You thought the Rotherham second half was exciting?
Exciting the last ten minutes maybe when they started to settle for the draw and it went end to end.
But the first half hour they pounded us while we ran about like dogs chasing balloons.....Horrific

Getting results playing crap in a crapper league is no foundation to build our future on.

Exciting the last ten minutes maybe when they started to settle for the draw and it went end to end.
But the first half hour they pounded us while we ran about like dogs chasing balloons.....Horrific
Hard to disagree.

The fitness of the player needs looking at. When we had the ball they were on us quickly ye when they had the ball thaey had a lot of space.

We were blowing out our backsides at the end.

Getting results when you play crap is exactly what you need to be doing in a crap division. We can't expect to play well every game, so I'd rather we were winning games in our off-days than "looking the part" and not picking up the points. I'm not expecting many of these players to be able to make the step up to the Championship, but that's a worry to have once we're promoted. For the time being, getting out of this division without breaking the FFP rules is more important than building for the future.

Amongst anything else, who is going to come here who's young, up and coming, likely to have a big future ahead of them? The players we've had the last few years that fit that description couldn't get away fast enough (Asoro, Maja...).

For the time being, we're a League 1 club. If we're going to go up without breaking the bank, then we're going to have to settle for the sort of players we've been getting. If we've learned anything from the Grigg deal, breaking the bank doesn't necessarily mean instant success, so it makes more sense to be more careful with our spending until we're in a higher division.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back