Prequels, Sequels and Back Stories....

Such a pity that 3 went through production hell, was so to being every bit as good as its two predecessors. It’s still a damn good film compared to the vast majority of sci-fi’s, was always going very difficult to live up the expectations though.

Definitely been the law of diminishing returns ever since 3.
Aye it was decent enough I suppose - was a shame about Hicks not Biehn in it though.

I was an extra at the Dawdon location and I was told that we were all monks and the story was set around a monastery.

Exactly. One draft said a religious retreat, another said penal colony. Hey why not combine them? A religious retreat filled with criminals? Bingo!

Some other Alien 3 concepts that were considered......Thor'd from elsewhere....

Before Alien 3 was released, a teaser trailer was put out by Fox. "In 1992, on Earth, we will discover that everyone can hear you scream" went its somewhat clunky narration, as an alien egg was shown hovering over the luminous bulk of our planet.

Another idea, seemingly explored in the very earliest stages of Alien 3's production in the 1980s, was of Ripley and Newt ending up in a futuristic metropolis - albeit one on another planet, not Earth - where they hunted an "especially mobile creature" around the city sprawl.

In one early concept, Giler and Hill envisioned a story which would take place over two films. In the first, Michael Biehn would take the lead as Hicks, while Ripley would spend the entirety of the story in hypersleep and Newt would be sent back to the safety of Earth. The second film would have seen Ripley revived for another fight with her mortal enemy, the aliens.If the concept sounds a bit like Alien meets Blade Runner, this might be because the concept surfaced around the time Ridley Scott was being courted to return as director...

One of the many iterations featured a script by William Gibson -

ALL HAIL THE GODFATHER OF CYBERPUNK

- whose instructions were that the alien threat must come to a major human habitation with some relationship to earth, and that Sigourney didn't want to be in it. The script is available online and has also been adapted into a Dark Horse comic series

William Gibson's Alien 3 #1 :: Profile :: Dark Horse Comics

I wish they’d made a better job of the Alien prequels, feels like sacrilege to criticise but Prometheus and Covenant are incredibly mediocre.
Prometheus was enjoyable, completely bonkers and made little sense but enjoyable. Covenant was pretty much exactly the same story as Prometheus but complete shite.

Apparently Tarantino had in mind that Mr. Blonde/Vic from Reservoir Dogs and Vince Vega from Pulp Fiction were brothers and had planned to do a film set in between the two but didn't because both actors got too old to be able to pull it off with any credibility seen as Vince dies in Pulp Fiction. Sorry if that's a spoiler, but it's been awa twenty years. Always thought it's a shame he didn't get to do that.

When Saturday Comes 2

Jimmy faces an FA Tribunal after it’s discovered Sheffield United have fielded an ineligible player in their FA Cup semi-final tie. Jimmy has played in an FA Cup qualifying match for Hallam FC earlier in the season and is therefore cup tied.

Jimmy dies shortly after cause he’s played by Sean Bean, who always dies.

Nowt wrong with A.I. Good film. It's a shame Kubrick died, I'd have liked to have seen what his version looked like.
It’s very rare that I’d say something is shite but AI really is. Rambling nonsense that just when you think it’s finally over it goes on for another 30 minutes. Spielberg didn’t have a clue what he was doing with kubricks material and over sentimentalised it as he’s prone to do.

John Pearson wrote the ‘Authorised’ biography of James Bond and included a load of anecdotes from his youth and rise to the double O section. It’s been a long time since I read it but could have been a canny origin story, although since the reboot with the Craig era they’ve sorta glossed over some of that already.

Back