Premier League Eyeing up Abolishing Points Deductions

The clubs generally can't, the owners can. The reason it was introduced was to prevent clubs being loaded with debt that never gets cleared that was leading to administration. FFP in theory is a way of trying to protect clubs, but as with everything there are loopholes or poorly enforced. Too much money in football now
I think having rules for clubs that reach a certain amount of debt and making sure any debt is cleared when an owner sells up would be a better way to go about it.

Man Cityโ€™s charges were never going to be held against them until a change in rules was affected.
I despise modern football. I only go to watch us because itโ€™s a day out with my mates and I feel obliged as been going for 40 years.

I get far more joy from watching mine or my matesโ€™ little uns play on Saturday mornings.

Last edited:
That isnt whats happening. Forest can afford all the players they signed due to their owner.

Basically these rules mean in 20 years time, exactly the same teams will be trying to win the league

whats the point of football then?

Villa have had a great season but now have to sell players in the summer due to these

Where as Man Utd can contineu to waste ยฃ100ms every summer....because they are Man Utd?
Less than 6 years ago, Aston Villa nearly went bankrupt because of reckless spending. Their owner got bored, they were relegated to the Championship, they missed the deadline for a ยฃ4 million tax bill, and the club was faced with a winding up order and the real possibility of going out of business.

I hate the premier league. I feel it is basically ring fencing itself. To more or less say spend away and try and compete but ultimately widening the gap.

Interesting part the luxury tax would be re-distributed between premier league teams.

Pure greed. I have no idea how people can enjoy the PL when it's so lopsided. Much like everything else in the world the disparity in wealth just continues to grow and seemingly people are happy just beg for their lot in life.

Football is a sport or entertainment, it shouldn't have to reflect business/life more generally. Just because you have lots of money should entitle you to win things. If you want to make sport to be only about finances and money go watch the stock market. There should absolutely be a cap to make the sport more even and thus exciting.

I think having rules for clubs that reach a certain amount of debt and making sure any debt is cleared when an owner sells up would be a better way to go about it.
But the debt has to be proportionate. That's the challenge and why its about trying to work within means of income. An owner without much money being able to rack up the same debt as say man city and then just declare bankruptcy for example would cripple that club (extreme example I know). Money in football needs to be reigned back in though as it will burst at some point

A system of 'anchoring' has also been discussed. It is a form of salary cap where the amount any club can spend is directly related to the wage bill spent by the bottom club. So if Sheffield United, for example, finish bottom with an annual wage bill of ยฃ50m, every club would have a set multiple of that figure to spend for the following season. Again, if a club breaks that cap, they pay the fine.
And in another shock development, a vote to reverse the February ruling on related-party transactions - deals within multi-club networks or with sponsors who have the same owners as a club - could also be on the cards.

In February, an amendment to these rules was approved by the narrowest of margins. With seven votes needed to block a proposal, there were 12 in favour, two abstentions and six against. But some feel that the change, and the knock-on impact it has on ownership of other clubs overseas, is harmful with one, thought to be Manchester City, considering legal action.

Less than 6 years ago, Aston Villa nearly went bankrupt because of reckless spending. Their owner got bored, they were relegated to the Championship, they missed the deadline for a ยฃ4 million tax bill, and the club was faced with a winding up order and the real possibility of going out of business.

That is linked to debt though, as long as they owner is paying for it, completely different issue, which could easily be regulated

the current rules just aren't fair, and will only protect and help a few "big" clubs.

A financial penalty isn't a deterrent either. Just a way to say they are taking action without actually affecting anything in the grand scheme

the premier league is a snake that will eventually eat itself

I doubt it, more people will just be supporting the bigger teams as the rest of us fade into obscurity. IThe vast majority in Turkey, Portugal, or Spain "support" their local team, plus one of the big teams. The same thing will happen here if it turns into a total monopoly of 6 or whatever IMO. The football culture didn't start that way in those countries just morphed into it when the wealth disparity stopped anyone else ever winning.

Itโ€™s been coming for so long. Iโ€™ve said for ages the whole ffp thing has an end of days feel about it. Itโ€™sa Joke designed to keep the top clubs at the top. The nightmare is of course this will help the mags no end. However mag blinkers aside it has to change itโ€™s ridiculous that clubs like Aston Villa (and the mags) can start to challenge and then have to sell all their players to meet ffp. Utter joke. It needs peddling and this is the start of it.

Wonโ€™t exist in 5 years Iโ€™m sure

Genuinely canโ€™t be arsed with Premier League football anymore. Gary Neville screaming that everything is either the best thing in the world or a disgrace whilst itโ€™s conveniently brushed under the carpet how dodgy it really is.

That is linked to debt though, as long as they owner is paying for it, completely different issue, which could easily be regulated

the current rules just aren't fair, and will only protect and help a few "big" clubs.
The owner was paying it, until he decided not to. Just like Ellis short decided he had enough and onwards to League One we went.

Unless UEFA agree to do this as well, they'll be screwed in Europe.

Serie A always thought it would be top dog, until it wasn't.
Aye very true. Same as liga at the turn of the century. Mind thereโ€™s never been a financial gap like there is between the premier league and the rest. It dwarves them all

Back