Premier League Eyeing up Abolishing Points Deductions

Basically want to scrap points deductions as per title and introduce a luxury tax.

If that happens it'd provably result in the PL becoming a two horse race each year between the two state owned clubs. And would make a bit of a farce of the PL as a sporting competition. It would likely widen the already huge gap between the top and bottom clubs.

Basically want to scrap points deductions as per title and introduce a luxury tax.

If that happens it'd provably result in the PL becoming a two horse race each year between the two state owned clubs. And would make a bit of a farce of the PL as a sporting competition. It would likely widen the already huge gap between the top and bottom clubs.

Its just another step towards a new look breakaway league, the only difference is the EPL want control not some euro governing body..

Well colour me surprised that the premier leagues clubs don't fancy points deductions
I'm sure a few of them (those run sustainably) would be in favour of points deductions tbf. But if the owners view a chance to increase the value of their assets even if it makes them less competitive they'd probably be all for it.

The hefty points-deduction punishments for Everton and Nottingham Forest - coupled with a quiet January transfer window as clubs did not dare overspend and risk sanction - have left many officials to deem the league's Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) not fit for purpose

Teams didn't sign players becuase they couldn't afford to sign players sounds like it's working exactly as it was supposed to?

As i have said many times, on threads related to this topic, if that tax flows down to the lower leagues (all of it) i think it is a great idea.
Lets be honest the wealthy teams will always find a way. This at least offers some benefit if (yes i know) it is done properly.
A tax of, for example $10m on City, Newcastle, Man Utd means nothing. That $10m would make a huge difference to League 2.

Back