"Pre Diabetic Stage" - just been advised following

I do keto to lose weight . It’s a difficult diet to follow but it’s great for losing the pounds and whilst I’m on it I don’t feel as hungry and I don’t feel the need to eat any sweets or chocolate . Miss my sandwiches though .

I try to do low carb (but not ultra-low/keto) most of the time but it's nice to have a treat once in a a while just as long as you get back on to the wagon. The reason most long term diets fail is that people give in and think they've failed if they have an occasional naughty day.

Not had a diagnosis, but 4 years ago I think I was there. Lethargic as hell, tired a lot, thirsty often etc. I lost 1.5 stone during covid. It is all back on now and though not feeling as bad due to better overall diet, pretty sure I am close so I have started making more steady changes now. Mostly that is alcohol intake drastically reduced and I have lost 2 kg in a month so feeling a lot better.

Adopt a low carb lifestyle. The cure is there but it's up to you because your doctor won't cure you.
I was on 8 tablets a day (Metformin, gliclazide and atrvastatin)
9 months later. Cured/in remission.
Stopped eating bread, rice, pasta and spuds. Watch The Magic Pill on YouTube.

I was diagnosed type 2 last year at a surgery pre-assessment for prostate surgery. Surgery was cancelled and I was told they wouldn't reschedule until I brought the diabetes under control. Did some research and started cooking recipes from the diabetes website. Didn't change the amount I ate but the change in diet made all the difference. I lost over 2 stone in 3 months. I cheat now and again but generally keep it under control. Prostate surgery on Thursday next week.

I try to do low carb (but not ultra-low/keto) most of the time but it's nice to have a treat once in a a while just as long as you get back on to the wagon. The reason most long term diets fail is that people give in and think they've failed if they have an occasional naughty day.
What kind of things do you eat on low carb?

Mostly meat and veg/salad. You just need to get out of the habit of every meal needing a big portion of spuds, rice or pasta. Bread was the hardest thing to cut down on but now I never buy it (though have a cheeky sandwich or burger when out once in a while)

Last edited:
.....blood tests that I'm in the above stage and need to alter my diet to prevent going to the next level.

Presumably a few on here have had this diagnosis, and if so, how easy did you find altering your diet ? And if you did alter it, are you now out of range of the next stage (which I presume is Class 2 treated by tablets ??) ? How long did it take ?

I'm 62, and love chocolate so it's gona be tough, not so bothered about cutting sugar in tea etc.

62 ?

some paper round that must have been …

protien and healthy fats. Above ground veg only.
Keto generally is 20 net carbs per day. Low carb 50/100 net carbs per day.

Tea tonight was an 8oz sirloin. Cauli/broccoli/sprouts. Whole lot about 8 net carbs.

If they did exercise, they probably wouldn't get to this stage and beyond. Self inflicted, yet they get free prescriptions for life while Asthmatics for example (& many with other long term conditions) still have to pay (In England, the rest of our so called United Kingdom get them for nowt). There is no consistency with healthcare, or indeed anything, in this country.
What a crock of absolute horse shite 🤣🤣😭

I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic over 10 years ago due to experiencing numbness in my hands and feet. I was otherwise relatively fit, not over weight and ate a normal diet but I cut out sweets, crisps, snacks and junk food. I still got diagnosed as borderline type 2 a couple of years ago possibly as I turned 70 and am more at risk. I am on metformin but still stick to more or less the same diet and it is under control. It is very difficult see what effect various foods have on you unless you can continuously monitor your blood sugar but I think a normal healthy diet is all you need if you are otherwise fit and healthy. As for carbs specifically I think it's more about when you eat them and how much rather than a complete abstinence.

Last edited:
Yup, been there. On the meds now and classed as Type 2. Blood sugars are controlled quite well but I flip between just over the mmol threshold to just under depending on booze consumed and carbs eaten.
Exactly the same
I was just over
Stopped red meat ,ket, fried stuff , etc
Came down below
Couldn't maintain the dull lifestyle and crept back above
Now take drugs and float around the in/out zone .

Missus in her 50’s was diagnosed with three year ago with this. Went to see a nutritionist to get a food plan that still enabled treats over the course of a week and increased her gym sessions to more strength based routines .Went for a very strict calorie deficit to get her sugar levels down to a required range. In the space of 5 months lost 3stone and her levels had dropped so that she was no longer pre diabetic.

Went from a size 12/14 to 8/10 in this period cost me a bloody fortune in having to buy a new wardrobe of clothes as nothing fit. However worth every penny.

Follows a maintenance plan with the nutritionist since then keeping her weight within a range and test every quarter her levels.

I

If they did exercise, they probably wouldn't get to this stage and beyond. Self inflicted, yet they get free prescriptions for life while Asthmatics for example (& many with other long term conditions) still have to pay (In England, the rest of our so called United Kingdom get them for nowt). There is no consistency with healthcare, or indeed anything, in this country.
What a load of shit, my type 2 came on because I caught pneumonia And it was an after effect. Before you post something it’s best to read up on things and then you won’t look like an idiot

.....blood tests that I'm in the above stage and need to alter my diet to prevent going to the next level.

Presumably a few on here have had this diagnosis, and if so, how easy did you find altering your diet ? And if you did alter it, are you now out of range of the next stage (which I presume is Class 2 treated by tablets ??) ? How long did it take ?

I'm 62, and love chocolate so it's gona be tough, not so bothered about cutting sugar in tea etc.
Stop going to the doctors, problem solved.

I do keto to lose weight . It’s a difficult diet to follow but it’s great for losing the pounds and whilst I’m on it I don’t feel as hungry and I don’t feel the need to eat any sweets or chocolate . Miss my sandwiches though .
I use that SRSLY low carb bread if I fancy a sandwich or making burgers. It’s not the same as normal bread but it’s the best lie carb bread I’ve tried.

Back