"Pre Diabetic Stage" - just been advised following

Luna17

Winger
.....blood tests that I'm in the above stage and need to alter my diet to prevent going to the next level.

Presumably a few on here have had this diagnosis, and if so, how easy did you find altering your diet ? And if you did alter it, are you now out of range of the next stage (which I presume is Class 2 treated by tablets ??) ? How long did it take ?

I'm 62, and love chocolate so it's gona be tough, not so bothered about cutting sugar in tea etc.

Yup, been there. On the meds now and classed as Type 2. Blood sugars are controlled quite well but I flip between just over the mmol threshold to just under depending on booze consumed and carbs eaten.

Welcome to the club!
Plenty of books and online info available and your regular diabetic reviews and feet and retinopathy checks will monitor your progress. đź‘Ť

.....blood tests that I'm in the above stage and need to alter my diet to prevent going to the next level.

Presumably a few on here have had this diagnosis, and if so, how easy did you find altering your diet ? And if you did alter it, are you now out of range of the next stage (which I presume is Class 2 treated by tablets ??) ? How long did it take ?

I'm 62, and love chocolate so it's gona be tough, not so bothered about cutting sugar in tea etc.
Look into Keto. Not the easiest to start with, but worth sticking with.

Bit of exercise wont harm

Bit of exercise wont harm
If they did exercise, they probably wouldn't get to this stage and beyond. Self inflicted, yet they get free prescriptions for life while Asthmatics for example (& many with other long term conditions) still have to pay (In England, the rest of our so called United Kingdom get them for nowt). There is no consistency with healthcare, or indeed anything, in this country.

If they did exercise, they probably wouldn't get to this stage and beyond. Self inflicted, yet they get free prescriptions for life while Asthmatics for example (& many with other long term conditions) still have to pay (In England, the rest of our so called United Kingdom get them for nowt). There is no consistency with healthcare, or indeed anything, in this country.
Not sure if you are serious but loads of very fit and top level sports people suffer with diabetes.

Look into Keto. Not the easiest to start with, but worth sticking with.
I do keto to lose weight . It’s a difficult diet to follow but it’s great for losing the pounds and whilst I’m on it I don’t feel as hungry and I don’t feel the need to eat any sweets or chocolate . Miss my sandwiches though .

Iirc, my father had diabetes without knowing it. Became quite ill. His weight from then on wasn't a problem because they kept cutting bit off him because of Gangrene.

Toes first, then foot then leg. Think before he died he'd had both legs amputated. Not sure though, as i had nothing to do with him. May have heard that from my SIL.

Hope it's not hereditary. Though i'm as fit as ferk and not overweight.

Diabetes is the biggest single cost to the NHS at £1.5 million per hour or £25,000 per minute. And, looking at the data in here, most, well type 2 anyhow, is avoidable with proven, achievable lifestyle changes — such as losing a small amount of weight and getting more physically active.

Not sure if you are serious but loads of very fit and top level sports people suffer with diabetes.
Simply not true for type 2. Where is the source of this data?

I have been pre diabetic once or twice . If im in the gym and looking after myself a bit im fine , if i get otherwise engaged let my diet slip , dont train , i get overweight and border line . Get the hard word off the nurse , back in the gym , eat accordingly ( just cut obvious crap and binging really ) and im back well below threshold in under a month.

Diabetes is the biggest single cost to the NHS at £1.5 million per hour or £25,000 per minute. And, looking at the data in here, most, well type 2 anyhow, is avoidable with proven, achievable lifestyle changes — such as losing a small amount of weight and getting more physically active.

Simply not true for type 2. Where is the source of this data?
I was deemed to be type 2 at age 40.At the time I was fit for my age,cycling 20 miles a day to work,coaching football at u18 level at league club etc.Been on insulin for 20 years after couple of heart attacks.Still only 10.5 st though.Mind I'm only 2ft tall !

I do keto to lose weight . It’s a difficult diet to follow but it’s great for losing the pounds and whilst I’m on it I don’t feel as hungry and I don’t feel the need to eat any sweets or chocolate . Miss my sandwiches though .
It's those first 4 or 5 days that killed me like. But worth it once the old ketosis kicks in. I do it about 80% of the time, but need that carb intake every so often.

I got put on the "pre-diabetic" warning list about 12 months ago. No medication but told to sort myself out and come back in 6 months for another blood test. Cut out most junk food, white carbs and tried to get more exercise. When I went back the blood sugar (HbA1c ) reading was fine but I've got to go back for an annual test to make sure I'm behaving myself

It's those first 4 or 5 days that killed me like. But worth it once the old ketosis kicks in. I do it about 80% of the time, but need that carb intake every so often.
Yeah you have to have a break now and again especially match days when I have a few pints .

Back