"Pre Diabetic Stage" - just been advised following

Just switch to non-refined carbs like wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta & wholegrain rice. Swap spuds for sweet potatoes too. I went from 15 stone to 11 stone in 4 months & have stayed that weight since.

its all about getting that hb1ac down, they prescribed some pills but I looked at the side effects and just thought I can do this myself..so I did

just cut out snacking on sweets, ditch white bread and eat fibrous fruits, berries are good in many ways, so strawbs and blueberries with a natural yoghurt or weetabix instead of toast for breakfast. Any berry is fine in normal consumption, but not grapes! Apples as well are nice and fibrous and the right kind of fruit sugars, same with cherries

so as people have said, if you have bread, make it wholemeal, I cut my bread consumption to just toast and bacon butties at weekends and have soup or salads for lunches

you cant live like a monk though as it kills your enjoyment, so I still indulge in a desert if I go out for meal..its a treat!

alcohol, again swap some stuff out, spirits in general have low to zero sugar, beer as well,, but cider has loads as does non alcholic beer!

as long as you get it on a downward trend, thats the most important thing

Last edited:
.....blood tests that I'm in the above stage and need to alter my diet to prevent going to the next level.

Presumably a few on here have had this diagnosis, and if so, how easy did you find altering your diet ? And if you did alter it, are you now out of range of the next stage (which I presume is Class 2 treated by tablets ??) ? How long did it take ?

I'm 62, and love chocolate so it's gona be tough, not so bothered about cutting sugar in tea etc.
I was told this after my first bout of long Covid tests.

Literally stopped eating so much bread and carbs, started eating yoghurt with granola or fruit in the morning, and 6 months on my levels are now “perfect”

I was told this after my first bout of long Covid tests.

Literally stopped eating so much bread and carbs, started eating yoghurt with granola or fruit in the morning, and 6 months on my levels are now “perfect”
its bread that catches people out, toast in the morning, butties for lunch, pizzas, garlic breads, burger buns, you can eat of lot of bread in a day and its loads of hidden sugars you dont realise, then add in a mars bar at lunchtime and maybe a sweet treat after your tea in an evening and it all adds up!

its bread that catches people out, toast in the morning, butties for lunch, pizzas, garlic breads, burger buns, you can eat of lot of bread in a day and its loads of hidden sugars you dont realise
I was terrible for a mars bar or some kets mind. But aye, now only eat bread that’s wholemeal or a bagel if I’m feeling dirty.

It’s the yoghurt I think that helped the most. Found it really filling and easy to consider it a sweet.

its bread that catches people out, toast in the morning, butties for lunch, pizzas, garlic breads, burger buns, you can eat of lot of bread in a day and its loads of hidden sugars you dont realise, then add in a mars bar at lunchtime and maybe a sweet treat after your tea in an evening and it all adds up!

Wholemeal ok tho ?

its all about getting that hb1ac down, they prescribed some pills but I looked at the side effects and just thought I can do this myself..so I did

just cut out snacking on sweets, ditch white bread and eat fibrous fruits, berries are good in many ways, so strawbs and blueberries with a natural yoghurt or weetabix instead of toast for breakfast. Any berry is fine in normal consumption, but not grapes! Apples as well are nice and fibrous and the right kind of fruit sugars, same with cherries

so as people have said, if you have bread, make it wholemeal, I cut my bread consumption to just toast and bacon butties at weekends and have soup or salads for lunches

you cant live like a monk though as it kills your enjoyment, so I still indulge in a desert if I go out for meal..its a treat!

alcohol, again swap some stuff out, spirits in general have low to zero sugar, beer as well,, but cider has loads as does non alcholic beer!

as long as you get it on a downward trend, thats the most important thing
Everything thing said here worked for me, not everyone is the same though. I'm type 2, don't take tablets, diabetes nurse at Dr's sent me on a x-pert diabetes awareness course. Ask at your Dr's. Tells you everything about carbs and portion sizes. Good luck, it's not the end of the world

Wholemeal ok tho ?
still has carbs, not really any lower than white bread, but the fibre helps slow that absorbption....

just eating less bread is the way to go, its been the hardest thing for me, but its probably one of the single biggest improvements you can make apart from the obvious of just stop eating sweets!

its impossible to give up, I still love a freshly made pizza , and I really couldnt live without some toast on a saturday morning in front of the telly, but they become a treat and something to enjoy much more...but I would rtaher give up a lunchtime butty than lose the feeling in my feet! or a couple of toes further down the line

its got to come from you, you have to be able to see the improvements you make can benefit you.

I was starting to get mobility problems with my left leg, poor blood flow, cramping, pain and I was really unhappy, borederline depressed as I loved going hiking, and fishing and it was really hampering that, couldnt walk more than a few hundred meters without pain

now I am back to a regular 6 to 8 mile hike as often as I can get out as I really want to make the most of it....I felt that was nearly taken away from me and I had to do something about it

Last edited:
What exactly do you disagree with?
I think you generalized across the board, obviously some smaller percent can get it despite being totally healthy. Yet as many of the replies have shown, if you do watch what you are eating and get regular exercise you can not even go there or even put the brakes on and go into remission.

Just switch to non-refined carbs like wholemeal bread, wholewheat pasta & wholegrain rice. Swap spuds for sweet potatoes too. I went from 15 stone to 11 stone in 4 months & have stayed that weight since.

Sweet potatoes is one of my favourite lower carb switches. Cauliflower rice is horrible though.

Also love making my own coleslaw as a side side. Easy way of using up leftovers in the fridge.

Back