Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

Anyone have much experience of the Wendler 531 stuff?

Specifically Boring But Big with the 13 week challenge.

Hit a git massive brick wall with a couple of PPL splits and started to go backwards now.

I'm bollocksed.

The 13 week thing started off fairly tame but 5x10 deadlifts at 60% max has nearly ended me.

Another 4 weeks and it goes to 70%...

Good like 'cos one of my main issues was not feeling I needed to eat a great deal to recover, no f***ing qualms about that anymore.

2 x pb today

85.5kg 3x8 back squat
50.5kg 3x8 chest press

Want to be squatting my body weight 3x8 within 2 weeks.

My chest press is so weak I was really struggling on the last couple of reps on each set, even though the weight is nothing big.

after last weeks fuck up with my deadlifts I just did a bit of dead’s with a kettle bell rather than risk lifting heavy, no twinges from it so pleased with that.

2 x pb today

85.5kg 3x8 back squat
50.5kg 3x8 chest press

Want to be squatting my body weight 3x8 within 2 weeks.

My chest press is so weak I was really struggling on the last couple of reps on each set, even though the weight is nothing big.

after last weeks fuck up with my deadlifts I just did a bit of dead’s with a kettle bell rather than risk lifting heavy, no twinges from it so pleased with that.
I have found that lighter weight and more reps is better for bench pressing.

I can really feel a squeeze on the pecs when I do 8-12 reps, when I grunt out 5 reps then I can feel my triceps/shoulders working more.

Have a go at paused and inclined bench presses, mix it up.

Just beat my pb by 10kg for squat, 95.5kg 3x8 reps. I set a goal of squatting my body weight before I went on holiday abs have reached it a week early so going for the 100 next week.

deads and chest press nowhere near my targets tho, gonna try and get a midweek session in to get going again on deadlifts but I feel nervous after doing my back I then a few weeks ago.

Just beat my pb by 10kg for squat, 95.5kg 3x8 reps. I set a goal of squatting my body weight before I went on holiday abs have reached it a week early so going for the 100 next week.

deads and chest press nowhere near my targets tho, gonna try and get a midweek session in to get going again on deadlifts but I feel nervous after doing my back I then a few weeks ago.
Nice work on the squat PB mate - well done!

Have you had much of a body transformation?

Well done on the PB! I’m much stronger on chest and deads

Last edited:
Competed at the Euros this week, rather than type it all out I thought I'd share the summary video that I did:

Appreciate it's a bit long so summary below:

Positives:

The people - the powerlifting community is amazing!

I didn't bomb - despite coming close.

Pulled a 5kg (7.5kg comp PB) on my last rep - with more in the tank.

Areas for improvement:

Don't fundamentally change what you do on the day of the comp (I know, I was stupid).

I can't afford to pig out on my refeed as it knackered my diabetes, thus knackering my sleep, thus inhibiting performance.

I'm looking for a coach.

Have you had much of a body transformation?

Well done on the PB! I’m much stronger on chest and deads
Not vastly, but I do like my booze and takeaways and am only getting to the gym once a week so can’t expect to be getting ripped. I can notice a difference still though, bitch tits have gone and my legs feel fairly solid.

going on holiday soon so if I can get 2 or 3 sessions in before then, make a pig of myself on holiday, I’m going to make more of an effort on the diet side when I get back. That’s what I’m telling myself anyway!

I still weight 210lbs, which is as when I started.

Back