Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date
In week 12 of stronglifts routine this week. Had a week off with the flu and had to deload by 10% which took a while to recover from. I'm doing my first 100kg squat tomorrow, something I didn't think possible a couple of months ago. Can't believe the progress. It's tough, but I still seem to keep upping the weights. I'm 42 and have dabbled briefly with weight training but always given up as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. This is the first thing I've done where I've seen progress. I've become slightly obsessed with it!

A quick question regarding diet. I have been hammering the food...mostly clean but a with a bit of filth here and there. I'm not tracking my calories/macros but my weight has been going up. I started lifting at 94kg and I'm up to 98kg as it stands. Am I better tracking everything or should I just be happy that my weight is going up? I'm not getting any fatter. I tracked previously and I found it grim...just the idea of scanning and weighing everything (this was a few years ago mind).

In week 12 of stronglifts routine this week. Had a week off with the flu and had to deload by 10% which took a while to recover from. I'm doing my first 100kg squat tomorrow, something I didn't think possible a couple of months ago. Can't believe the progress. It's tough, but I still seem to keep upping the weights. I'm 42 and have dabbled briefly with weight training but always given up as I didn't have a clue what I was doing. This is the first thing I've done where I've seen progress. I've become slightly obsessed with it!

A quick question regarding diet. I have been hammering the food...mostly clean but a with a bit of filth here and there. I'm not tracking my calories/macros but my weight has been going up. I started lifting at 94kg and I'm up to 98kg as it stands. Am I better tracking everything or should I just be happy that my weight is going up? I'm not getting any fatter. I tracked previously and I found it grim...just the idea of scanning and weighing everything (this was a few years ago mind).
I would always track, no matter your goals. Dunno how you tried it for but it gets easier

Proper back squats for the first time in about 8 weeks yesterday, had replaced them with clean/ front squats so wasn't able to go very heavy
Stairs are no fun today :-/

I’ve found this reasonably accurate
Cheers mate. Would you class 3 sessions of stronglifts as moderate exercise? If so...maintenance calories is 3025. Does that mean I need to consume 3525 if trying to build a bit more muscle?

Cheers mate. Would you class 3 sessions of stronglifts as moderate exercise? If so...maintenance calories is 3025. Does that mean I need to consume 3525 if trying to build a bit more muscle?
Yer I'd say moderate but it's just a guide. Thats why it's important to track and make alerations. Calorie wise, I'd depends on your goals, sounds like you obviously want to bulk, but do you want to add a couple hundred over maintenance and go for a slow bulk with minimal fat addition, or do you want to maximise your muscle gain and add more calories, but with the inevitable fat gain also? That decision is for you to make. 500 cals x 7 days = 3500 a week. 3500 cals = 1lb. So in theory you'd put 1lb a week on, bare in mind that's not all gonna be muscle.

Yer I'd say moderate but it's just a guide. Thats why it's important to track and make alerations. Calorie wise, I'd depends on your goals, sounds like you obviously want to bulk, but do you want to add a couple hundred over maintenance and go for a slow bulk with minimal fat addition, or do you want to maximise your muscle gain and add more calories, but with the inevitable fat gain also? That decision is for you to make. 500 cals x 7 days = 3500 a week. 3500 cals = 1lb. So in theory you'd put 1lb a week on, bare in mind that's not all gonna be muscle.
Cheers. I'm over weight like, not by much, mostly beer belly. I just want to get stronger intially and then worry about the fat further down the line. Last time I went 500 calories over maintenance I wasn't working hard enough and turned into a fat fuck. Not sure my missus want me to go in that direction again so I'd like to so it right this time.

Edit: Just read your post again. Are you saying that, rather than go the full 500 over I can drop it to 200/250 something like that?

Last edited:
Cheers. I'm over weight like, not by much, mostly beer belly. I just want to get stronger intially and then worry about the fat further down the line. Last time I went 500 calories over maintenance I wasn't working hard enough and turned into a fat fuck. Not sure my missus want me to go in that direction again so I'd like to so it right this time.

Edit: Just read your post again. Are you saying that, rather than go the full 500 over I can drop it to 200/250 something like that?
Yer, you don’t have to eat over maintenance in 500 cal chunks. It’s always just suggested that way cause it’s a nice neat 1lb a week

The thing is, to nail a small surplus is pretty difficult unless your daily routine is very similar. Until/unless you have a very good grasp of your energy requirements, I'd probably go slightly higher just to ensure a surplus if that is the case.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joined the Stronglifts 100kg squat club tonight. Felt pretty easy TBH. And that’s with having lost over a stone since May. My bench stalled though, that’s twice now I’ve failed 72.5kg

I remember when I did Stronglifts the first time (pre-kids around 2012ish) I hated squats and loved the deadlift but I think it’s the other way around this time!

Joined the Stronglifts 100kg squat club tonight. Felt pretty easy TBH. And that’s with having lost over a stone since May. My bench stalled though, that’s twice now I’ve failed 72.5kg

I remember when I did Stronglifts the first time (pre-kids around 2012ish) I hated squats and loved the deadlift but I think it’s the other way around this time!
Nailed 100kg tonight as well. Congratulations!

Lads, a quick question about tracking food on myfitness pal. I'm having a ribeye. Scanned it and the the correct macros have appeared as on the label. The steak when raw is 227g. Am a weighing it after its been cooked and adjusting the weight accordingly or do I leave it as 227g?

Nice one Mr Positive.
I don’t want to be critical but it’s just a number. I have seen massively fat lads in the gym high five-ing after doing 1 rep of 100kg bench press and it doesn’t mean that they’re strong.

I weigh 65kg and can deadlift 135kg.
Squat not deadlift, but I otherwise echo @FReaK ’s sentiments!
Squat is a bit more impressive but I have seen 50kg Thai fighters do the same when I was in Hanoi when I trained with the viet cong.
Pump your stats into this bad boy.

Last edited:
I don’t want to be critical but it’s just a number. I have seen massively fat lads in the gym high five-ing after doing 1 rep of 100kg bench press and it doesn’t mean that they’re strong.

Squat is a bit more impressive but I have seen 50kg Thai fighters do the same when I was in Hanoi when I trained with the viet cong.

Well done you.

I've been doing this 12 weeks mate. 100kg squat 5x5, 110kg deadlift 5x5.

I'm pretty f***ing impressed with myself to be honest.

I bet you’ve been to Elevenerife!

BTW the first time I did Stronglifts I was 80kg and deadlifting 180kg for 5x5. I’m just building it up again slowly (whilst also trying to get down to my “fighting weight”) and my confidence in putting the weight up has skyrocketed since I’ve actually joined a proper gym.

Last edited:
Close stance High bar squats yesterday for sets of 4 until I felt RPE creep up. Then dropped weight 5 percent and continued sets of 4 without pause until RPE raised again.

Then 4 x 5 Snatch Grip Deads.

4 x 8 belt squat

Some fluff and rehab/prehab movements.

Gonna keep the bench plan to myself for this build up. Trying out something new. Don't want anyone copying incase it's a failure :lol:
Nailed 100kg tonight as well. Congratulations!

Lads, a quick question about tracking food on myfitness pal. I'm having a ribeye. Scanned it and the the correct macros have appeared as on the label. The steak when raw is 227g. Am a weighing it after its been cooked and adjusting the weight accordingly or do I leave it as 227g?

Pre cooked weight unless otherwise stated. Incase of latter the info becomes less accurate

Last edited by a moderator:

Back