Powerlifting/Strength Training Thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 26533
  • Start date

I'm in week 9 of stronglifts now and things are getting tougher. I failed for the first time on overhead press the other week at 42.5kg but nailed it yesterday moving up to 45kg.

At what weights did you guys start failing?

Also, what do you recommend doing once I finish with stronglifts? Are there other routines out there that are better? I like the simplicity of stronglifts and the challenge of trying to lift heavier each session...and I love the app.

How long did people do stronglifts for before moving to something else?

I'm in week 9 of stronglifts now and things are getting tougher. I failed for the first time on overhead press the other week at 42.5kg but nailed it yesterday moving up to 45kg.

Also, what do you recommend doing once I finish with stronglifts? Are there other routines out there that are better? I like the simplicity of stronglifts and the challenge of trying to lift heavier each session...and I love the app.

When you fail reset down and start moving up again, when you fail again, take a deload

Basically just keep doing that for at least a few months.

Then I'd say move into 531 and pick a template for that, keep it simple

When you fail reset down and start moving up again, when you fail again, take a deload

Basically just keep doing that for at least a few months.

Then I'd say move into 531 and pick a template for that, keep it simple
Found a decent personal training app that has got variations of 531 on it. What starting weights should I be using?

I failed at OHP before the other lifts, it’s fairly common I think.

After stronglifts I tried rippetoe’s 3x5 starting strength, greyskull linear progression, periodisation, callisthenics and now I am back to 5x5 on bench, ohp and rows but I’m only maintaining the weight. Deadlifts are a mix of 1x5, 1x3 or singles at different weights. I do (Bulgarian) split squats @ 3x5 instead of normal squats as I am shite at them.

Have a look at Jeff cavaliere on YouTube and try some different accessory lifts if your interest starts to dip.

Last edited:

I did Stronglifts for about 18 months. Agreed on the app, one of the best value for money purchases I've ever made.

I also failed first at OHP - at a lower weight than you did. It's not really worthwhile comparing though, depends how big you are, what sports/training you've done in the past, how long you rest between sets etc. As long as you make sure you're giving it all you should be satisfied.

I'm now on my second cycle of MadCow 5x5 - it's the programme Mehdi (from Stronglifts) recommends moving on to once you finish Stronglifts. I like it as it has me benching more often (twice a week, every week), which is my biggest weakness. It took a lot of digging to find the spreadsheet - if you (or anyone else) wants it DM me and I'll ping it across.

I did Stronglifts for about 18 months. Agreed on the app, one of the best value for money purchases I've ever made.

I also failed first at OHP - at a lower weight than you did. It's not really worthwhile comparing though, depends how big you are, what sports/training you've done in the past, how long you rest between sets etc. As long as you make sure you're giving it all you should be satisfied.

I'm now on my second cycle of MadCow 5x5 - it's the programme Mehdi (from Stronglifts) recommends moving on to once you finish Stronglifts. I like it as it has me benching more often (twice a week, every week), which is my biggest weakness. It took a lot of digging to find the spreadsheet - if you (or anyone else) wants it DM me and I'll ping it across.
aye I'm doing Bill Starr's 5x5 atm, which Madcow's originated from. Only doing it once a week like so just using it as a guide to compliment marathon training. Gonna try up the sessions to 2 this week.

I'd run Smolov's routine for all three lifts immediately after finishing 5x5 mate.

You'll probably need to sleep 20 hours a day, take steroids and walk around with a supply of whole milk directly fed into your stomach but you'll definitely get stronger.

There is a link to a spreadsheet here:

Spent a shitload on my home gym over the last few months. Joined David Lloyd’s today.

Go figure.
What you selling then ;).

I've just bought a squat rack bar and weights and a bench it covers most of what I do but I need bands, chains also gonna build a platform for loading stones for the summer I reckon.

Just finished week 6 of the Soviet peaking programme, third time I've ran it. Maxed out my dl at 165, will have a week of chilling then reset at 170kg for the next one

I've developed a bad habit of biting my bottom lip when I'm getting close to my limits, particularly on barbell row & deadlifts & I managed to draw blood last night.

I was thinking of maybe using my gumshield to prevent it in future but has anyone got any better ideas?

Back