Potholes & developed nations

Is this a UK thing? We have them on major A roads that are left for years before repair (e.g. A1 between Reston and Houndwood) or roads in towns/cities that are also horrendous.

Watching the highlights fro the road race in Japan earlier and they’re there happily cycling all over the road (even the hard shoulder). You wouldn’t be able to spot the difference between their roads and the F1 track.

Is this a UK thing? We have them on major A roads that are left for years before repair (e.g. A1 between Reston and Houndwood) or roads in towns/cities that are also horrendous.

Watching the highlights fro the road race in Japan earlier and they’re there happily cycling all over the road (even the hard shoulder). You wouldn’t be able to spot the difference between their roads and the F1 track.
Suzuka has red and white kerbs. I didn’t see any in the cycling.

There’s a tiny chance, very small. Maybe they paved the roads that would be shown in the Olympic Games. Or selected those that were best

Perhaps they did some resurfacing knowing they were being used in the Olympics?

Each nation prioritises things differently I suppose. And each nation’s population react differently to their leaders demands.
Maybe Japan decided that roads were a big thing for them.

Suzuka has red and white kerbs. I didn’t see any in the cycling.

There’s a tiny chance, very small. Maybe they paved the roads that would be shown in the Olympic Games. Or selected those that were best
Do you think for the Tour, Vuelta and Giro they pave the roads before each route?
Perhaps they did some resurfacing knowing they were being used in the Olympics?
Perhaps they did, that’s what I’m asking.

It’s a well known issue that major cycling events in the UK struggle because of the road quality.

Last edited:
There’s a few kicking about
Maybe we are concentrating on the 350 billion spent on securing livelihoods & proping up the economy?
Just a thought

There’s a few kicking about
Maybe we are concentrating on the 350 billion spent on securing livelihoods & proping up the economy?
Just a thought
Yeah, quite a few.

I spent the majority of 2012 through till April this year living in the Highlands, Berwick and East Lothian regularly travelling back to Sunderland.

It’s quite a contentious issue with Sturgeon that the A1 between Berwick and Edinburgh is blighted by potholes. I’m sure constituents would be happy to see reading and writing improve, or drug use drop, however as neither is likely to happen any time soon, why not just fix the one major road?

Given that filling potholes is outsourced and the claims for damages because of potholes is more than the average cost to fill one, it surely makes sense to just sort them?

Yeah, quite a few.

I spent the majority of 2012 through till April this year living in the Highlands, Berwick and East Lothian regularly travelling back to Sunderland.

It’s quite a contentious issue with Sturgeon that the A1 between Berwick and Edinburgh is blighted by potholes. I’m sure constituents would be happy to see reading and writing improve, or drug use drop, however as neither is likely to happen any time soon, why not just fix the one major road?

Given that filling potholes is outsourced and the claims for damages because of potholes is more than the average cost to fill one, it surely makes sense to just sort them?
If Sturgeon gets her way there’ll be a checkpoint
She can ram her independence flag where the sun don’t shine

If Sturgeon gets her way there’ll be a checkpoint
She can ram her independence flag where the sun don’t shine
I’d be surprised, due to the number of commuters between England and Scotland (especially in the agriculture sector), but ok.

Sunderland isn’t bad at all in my opinion for potholes. But head out to anywhere rural and it’s just horrendous imo.

Loads of places in the states the roads are fucked.

When we had the Olympics in 2012, they resurfaced all the roads around Box Hill where they ran the circuit 6 times.

Someone drew a picture of a massive cock just before the race.

Logon or register to see this image

Roads ( mainly rural) in Cornwall have take a knock in the last few weeks with many melting in the heat.
I guess many countries don’t have the extremes we have but many have worse and manage.
melting now will develop badly in the winter and the wet autumns we have washing away what’s left.
Our roads are like black glass at the moment which is going to be topper in the frost

Roads ( mainly rural) in Cornwall have take a knock in the last few weeks with many melting in the heat.
I guess many countries don’t have the extremes we have but many have worse and manage.
melting now will develop badly in the winter and the wet autumns we have washing away what’s left.
Our roads are like black glass at the moment which is going to be topper in the frost
We probably have one of the more temperate climates going. Continental landmasses tend to see the more extreme conditions ranging from severe winters to very hot summers.

Remember 10 years ago and the awful tsunami and earthquake that wrecked roads and towns? They got that shit fixed so quickly it raised comment at the time over here.

6 days it took in all that mayhem and devastation to fix major roads.

Remember 10 years ago and the awful tsunami and earthquake that wrecked roads and towns? They got that shit fixed so quickly it raised comment at the time over here.

6 days it took in all that mayhem and devastation to fix major roads.

State services are much better over there. It would take us weeks and weeks to write up the tender documents, go to market for quotation then apply for permits to close the roads.

Back