Potholes & developed nations

We've got outside our house.... Its been there for 2 yrs... So I contacted the County Council to repair it... They sent a road steward (their terminology) and he decided it did not meet the repair criteria ffs so its getting worse....and wakes us up every morning.... They repaired one 100 yds up the road at the same time... Jobs worth😕

It's rarely below freezing in Tokyo which can make a massive difference for roads. Once water gets in small cracks it expands when it freezes and that's how most potholes form.

Well and they probably resurfaced them for the Olympics.
A very important post

Yeah, quite a few.

I spent the majority of 2012 through till April this year living in the Highlands, Berwick and East Lothian regularly travelling back to Sunderland.

It’s quite a contentious issue with Sturgeon that the A1 between Berwick and Edinburgh is blighted by potholes. I’m sure constituents would be happy to see reading and writing improve, or drug use drop, however as neither is likely to happen any time soon, why not just fix the one major road?

Given that filling potholes is outsourced and the claims for damages because of potholes is more than the average cost to fill one, it surely makes sense to just sort them?

The roads in Scotland in general are a joke. The A90 is like some rural back lane at how bumpy it is

With the European floods in mind isn't it a priority to fix potholes. Some of the roads in Shields are diabolical, they are like patchwork quilts. If they is a big flood them roads will dissolve like a Barrocca.

We've got outside our house.... Its been there for 2 yrs... So I contacted the County Council to repair it... They sent a road steward (their terminology) and he decided it did not meet the repair criteria ffs so its getting worse....and wakes us up every morning.... They repaired one 100 yds up the road at the same time... Jobs worth😕
Just hoy in a bit of cold lay.

Or buy a tin of upside down surveyors spray (in white) and mark a circle around the pothole so when the repair teams come along, they undertake the repair as they believe it’s approved by the council surveyor.

I like the idea that they'd look at a pothole, see no sign of spray paint and decide that the surveyor must have wanted that bit of road left completely fucked.

I like the idea that they'd look at a pothole, see no sign of spray paint and decide that the surveyor must have wanted that bit of road left completely fucked.

It’s laughable. I know lads who work in the highways department of Stockton council and the pothole must meet certain criteria before it’s deemed necessary to repair. The problem from my perspective is they will spend almost as much money surveying the pothole several times before it deteriorates to the point they repair it, however, they were always going to have to, so why not just do it when it is first reported?

Also, there was a thread on here a few years ago when the pothole surveyor took a photo and in his report stated the pothole didn’t meet minimum criteria, despite it was actually well within. It made national news at the time.

Edit: other relevant info: the company who do the repairs are usually subbies and get paid by the m^2, so can only/ will only repair areas marked up by their employer, the council.

Last edited:
Do you think for the Tour, Vuelta and Giro they pave the roads before each route?

Perhaps they did, that’s what I’m asking.

It’s a well known issue that major cycling events in the UK struggle because of the road quality.

They struggle or it makes the ride more difficult? What's the Tour De France like, are the french roads better than ours too?

:lol:
It’s laughable. I know lads who work in the highways department of Stockton council and the pothole must meet certain criteria before it’s deemed necessary to repair. The problem from my perspective is they will spend almost as much money surveying the pothole several times before it deteriorates to the point they repair it, however, they were always going to have to, so why not just do it when it is first reported?

Also, there was a thread on here a few years ago when the pothole surveyor took a photo and in his report stated the pothole didn’t meet minimum criteria, despite it was actually well within. It made national news at the time.

Edit: other relevant info: the company who do the repairs are usually subbies and get paid by the m^2, so can only/ will only repair areas marked up by their employer, the council.

There was a contractor resurfacing the road out the back of mine a few months back, I got chatting to one of the workers and they had travelled up from Sheffield or something as they'd won the tender. Seemed barmy.

State services are much better over there. It would take us weeks and weeks to write up the tender documents, go to market for quotation then apply for permits to close the roads.

Not necessarily, it depends the severity and what the framework criteria is I imagine. Lots of frameworks still allow for direct call-offs.

Last edited:
They struggle or it makes the ride more difficult? What's the Tour De France like, are the french roads better than ours too?

:lol:

There was a contractor resurfacing the road out the back of mine a few months back, I got chatting to one of the workers and they had travelled up from Sheffield or something as they'd won the tender. Seemed barmy.

French and Spanish roads much better. Italy, not so much.

Back