Pothole watch

Top of Boldon bank a couple of nasty ones have opened up as your heading towards Boldon.I know the condition of that road has been shocking for a long time .
Yeah I drive over there twice a day and they're getting nasty.

Really bad one at the junction with Dipe Lane.

I've reported it on Fixmystreet but the council have done bot all about the last one so don't hold your breath.

It's all unnecessary as well, it's the shit compound of concrete and gravel that they use, as we know it just cracks, especially with our weather. Look around Europe and you'll barely see a pothole

The ones on Boldon Bank opened up after the recent frost. There’s temporary lights there are the minute but I think it’s for the houses rather than to fix the road.

They're absolutely mental around here - especially the rural bits of the county where I have to do a lot of driving for work. Council are so behind with them that the spraypaint to mark them out for a fix wears off before the fix it crews come out at all.

reported on the council website on the 11th Feb the state of all of Hylton lane as said still not fixed. Reported pothole problems to Sunderland council on the same day, had email back 3 days later saying they had been repaired,

Had to play dodge the pothole when I went to the match on Saturday. Past the new estates just outside ryhope down to the coast road then through Hendon. Think one of the roundabouts had about 6 of them all next to each other.

There are two particularly large potholes just after the incline tops out (heading toward Boldon) that I know to avoid as I use it every morning heading to work.

There was another particularly bad one at the lights at the bottom turning left towards Hylton Castle that looks like they've spent all but two minutes repairing. That whole junction needs completely resurfacing to sort out the huge hump in it.

A lass at work had a tyre blowout driving past the Greyhound Stadium the week before last thanks to a pothole too.

There are two particularly large potholes just after the incline tops out (heading toward Boldon) that I know to avoid as I use it every morning heading to work.

There was another particularly bad one at the lights at the bottom turning left towards Hylton Castle that looks like they've spent all but two minutes repairing. That whole junction needs completely resurfacing to sort out the huge hump in it.

A lass at work had a tyre blowout driving past the Greyhound Stadium the week before last thanks to a pothole too.
That one on Washingto road at the lights is a shocker.You can avoid it but only if there isn’t any cars turning right up Hylton lane .

8 billion, 8 f***ing billion man. How about building them properly in the first place

As a cyclist the state of the roads are terrible. And a lot of cycle paths are just as bad.

It’s not just potholes it’s also the joints between the various sections of road.
It's absolutely awful riding about Sunderland on a road bike, motorbike or low car. If it isn't the potholes or joins it's where they've dug up to run new cables etc, they like speed bumps

Last edited:
8 billion, 8 f***ing billion man. How about building them properly in the first place

It's absolutely awful riding about Sunderland on a road bike, motorbike or low car. If it isn't the potholes or joins it's where they've dug up to run new cables etc, they like speed bumps
Exactly mate. The new coastal cycle path from Souter to South Shields is better but it’s not that long. And then you are back on the bumps.

Exactly mate. The new coastal cycle path from Souter to South Shields is better but it’s not that long. And then you are back on the bumps.
The last couple of times I've been out just wanting a short ride I've went home sick as fuck, just no fun riding if it's bone shaking roads

I like the idea, it's not a new one, of the public spraying a big pink border around the offending holes. Helps identify them for road users and shames those responsible. The pen1$ method is intriguing too.

First one I've really hit was when I went to Wynyard Observatory the other week and hit a big pothole nearby. Pitch black so I didn't even see it. I was surprised to see the car was all right when I got out for a look because it took a reet whack.

Back