Postmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Used to live in a place that was on a hill, so the postie would put his van in neutral and coast it from house to house instead of walking :lol:

At least you still get post. Last year they stopped bringing post on Saturdays here in DK. And at New Year they changed it again so we now only get post delivered on Weds and Fridays. Not only that, because of a massive minus in the Danish part of the company, PostNord will change it yet again later this year and only deliver post once a week. I have stopped my subscription to the daily Sunderland Echo because of it. :(

At least you still get post. Last year they stopped bringing post on Saturdays here in DK. And at New Year they changed it again so we now only get post delivered on Weds and Fridays. Not only that, because of a massive minus in the Danish part of the company, PostNord will change it yet again later this year and only deliver post once a week. I have stopped my subscription to the daily Sunderland Echo because of it. :(
You can try the online version, if you have the patience of a saint waiting for it to load, and assuming it doesn't crash your device.

You can try the online version, if you have the patience of a saint waiting for it to load, and assuming it doesn't crash your device.

It is a bit of a luxury problem, really. I can just log onto my local library website and read the daily paper there in full via PressReader. Could even print out the entire paper if I wished and the archives go back three months or so. And it is completely free, too. Compared to paying twenty-one quid a week for six paper copies being posted to me from the NE. But I like opening a fresh newspaper and have always prefered the printed version to the digital one. A pipe goes better with print as well.

But it is a bit silly and always has been paying for something that is free elsewhere. And also waiting two-three days for it to reach me via post, when I can just log onto there and read the digital version before the printed one even reaches the shops. But I have been happy to wait the few days and pay eighty-four quid each four weeks till PostNord changed their delivery to just twice a week. I just don't feel I can justify to myself anymore to keep my subscription running as the papers will be more than a week old by the time they reach me soon. And I can read the entire daily paper on my phone as well, which is a bonus. But I do miss opening a fresh Echo each day.

It is a bit of a luxury problem, really. I can just log onto my local library website and read the daily paper there in full via PressReader. Could even print out the entire paper if I wished and the archives go back three months or so. And it is completely free, too. Compared to paying twenty-one quid a week for six paper copies being posted to me from the NE. But I like opening a fresh newspaper and have always prefered the printed version to the digital one. A pipe goes better with print as well.

But it is a bit silly and always has been paying for something that is free elsewhere. And also waiting two-three days for it to reach me via post, when I can just log onto there and read the digital version before the printed one even reaches the shops. But I have been happy to wait the few days and pay eighty-four quid each four weeks till PostNord changed their delivery to just twice a week. I just don't feel I can justify to myself anymore to keep my subscription running as the papers will be more than a week old by the time they reach me soon. And I can read the entire daily paper on my phone as well, which is a bonus. But I do miss opening a fresh Echo each day.
I can understand it mate, but financially it doesn't make sense. Post once a week is a bit of a shambles mind, I'm surprised it's happening in Denmark.

I can understand it mate, but financially it doesn't make sense. Post once a week is a bit of a shambles mind, I'm surprised it's happening in Denmark.

It has never made sense, really, to pay for a printed subscription. But having had it posted to me here from the NE for God knows how many years not having it each day takes a bit of getting use to.

Post Danmark and the Swedish postal service joined forces a few years back and created PostNord as a joint venture thing. But fewer and fewer people use the old ways of posting these days, not helped by all official correspondence (banks, tax man, council, telly licence, schools, doctors, hospitals you name it) have long been digitalised so the post service is losing out on a lot of work they used to get only a few years ago. In Sweden they haven't done the same thing to the same degree and folks there still post letters so the Swedish part of PostNord is doing OK. The Danish part of it came out with a minus of 2,3 billion kroner last year alone.

That means they have already announced trimming down the company with around four thousand people being laid off. They have already cut down the work force from 20,592 employees in 2007 to less than 10,000 last year. With another four thousand being laid off in the next two-three year plan they reckon it will help the minus on the sheets. But at the same time it means less deliveries, of course. Twice a week as it is at the momet is silly enough but going down to just getting your post once a week is a bit of a mess, really.

You can still get faster deliveries if you are prepared to pay for it. Quick Mail still has a day-to-day delivery but only if you go to the post desk with the mail (the red post boxes in town are only emptied twice a week, too now). And you can't use stamps for that either but need to purchase special posting marks. A standard fifty gram max letter nationally costs eight kroner, a Quick Mail letter with the same weight will cost you twenty-seven kroner. Or two kroner less than a standard letter will cost you from Denmark to Australia.

The amount of post here has fallen by eighty per cent since the turn of the century. And there is only one single post office left in the entire country, the rest have all been closed down and turned into desks at supermarkets and petrol stations instead. They need to get money from somewhere but it wouldn't surprise me at all if our Parliament throws in the towel at some point and just sell up.

It has never made sense, really, to pay for a printed subscription. But having had it posted to me here from the NE for God knows how many years not having it each day takes a bit of getting use to.

Post Danmark and the Swedish postal service joined forces a few years back and created PostNord as a joint venture thing. But fewer and fewer people use the old ways of posting these days, not helped by all official correspondence (banks, tax man, council, telly licence, schools, doctors, hospitals you name it) have long been digitalised so the post service is losing out on a lot of work they used to get only a few years ago. In Sweden they haven't done the same thing to the same degree and folks there still post letters so the Swedish part of PostNord is doing OK. The Danish part of it came out with a minus of 2,3 billion kroner last year alone.

That means they have already announced trimming down the company with around four thousand people being laid off. They have already cut down the work force from 20,592 employees in 2007 to less than 10,000 last year. With another four thousand being laid off in the next two-three year plan they reckon it will help the minus on the sheets. But at the same time it means less deliveries, of course. Twice a week as it is at the momet is silly enough but going down to just getting your post once a week is a bit of a mess, really.

You can still get faster deliveries if you are prepared to pay for it. Quick Mail still has a day-to-day delivery but only if you go to the post desk with the mail (the red post boxes in town are only emptied twice a week, too now). And you can't use stamps for that either but need to purchase special posting marks. A standard fifty gram max letter nationally costs eight kroner, a Quick Mail letter with the same weight will cost you twenty-seven kroner. Or two kroner less than a standard letter will cost you from Denmark to Australia.

The amount of post here has fallen by eighty per cent since the turn of the century. And there is only one single post office left in the entire country, the rest have all been closed down and turned into desks at supermarkets and petrol stations instead. They need to get money from somewhere but it wouldn't surprise me at all if our Parliament throws in the towel at some point and just sell up.
Looks like it's heading that way. It's a damn shame the loss of all those jobs, and anyone who isn't on line has to pay through the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back