Post Office scandal

In some cases you were talking a few thousand quid, hardly life changing amounts. A lot of these postmasters had much more than that to lose cos they were franchisees and sitting on a fairly saleable/valuable asset.

One of the faults with our judicial system is it's difficult to get a conviction overturned. It's an admission that the system has failed an the government/judiciary are loathe to admit that.
But surely there should be evidence on which to convict. How can they convict when there was no evidence as there was no fraud?? What were the defence lawyers doing to counter the allegations and surely there must have been sufficient doubt to satisfy the burden of proof for a conviction??
Its also imo a failing of the justice system as surely you'd look at this and think, nationwide this is going on in such high numbers and all the evidence literally the only evidence is some computer system. Surely to goodness you'd investigate if the software worked correctly??
You would think so

Last edited:
But surely there should be evidence on which to convict. How can they convict when there was no evidence as there was no fraud?? What were the defence lawyers doing to counter the allegations and surely there must have been sufficient doubt to satisfy the burden of proof for a conviction??
There is something in the article about how the PO switched it around and the victims had to prove they hadnt stolen it. Absolutley bonkers and the courts need to look at themselves over this aswell.
Injustices infuriate me, I am overwhelmed for these poor folk but angry as fuck at the idiiots responsible for the fuck up.

Brilliant to see these folks getting their names cleared, unfortunately too late for some.
An absolute scandal that will cost the government a small fortune I guess.
I hope whoever was responsible face the justice they deserve

Convicted Post Office workers have names cleared
So so happy they've all been able to clear their names, that whole business was an absolute disgrace - some of them served jail time ffs. I hope the PO compensate them all for their suffering asap.

There is something in the article about how the PO switched it around and the victims had to prove they hadnt stolen it. Absolutley bonkers and the courts need to look at themselves over this aswell.
Injustices infuriate me, I am overwhelmed for these poor folk but angry as fuck at the idiiots responsible for the fuck up.

Something came up in a podcast about it, that the post office investigation is the oldest known criminal investigation force in the world. Going back to the days of dick Turpin and such

Th epeople at the top on six figure salaries and lucrative bonus packages???

like when you haven't received something and you've got to prove it.

I was a field engineer working on these systems between 2006-2008 and it goes without saying this has ruined peoples lives, the postmasters were forever getting suspended, po getting temporarily or permanently closed. This explains a lot

Something came up in a podcast about it, that the post office investigation is the oldest known criminal investigation force in the world. Going back to the days of dick Turpin and such

POIB.

It's like being grilled by the Gestapo (I was a union offical, not the accused!).

You would think so
:lol: :lol:

Having worked in the audit and IT industry for many years I find it unbelievable that the defence couldn't have found some correlation to show that the system was flawed.
One of the things they found was that tax discs were incorrectly recorded. So all they had to do was pull records for the days discs were sold and they days they weren't and show that discrepancies only showed up on days when they were sold, then you look at the money banked against discs versus the number that was sold and you'd get a match.

You only need to prove beyond reasonable doubt for a conviction so you could discredit the IT system and prove reasonable doubt.

Also the manufacturers held back computer code (which must have contained bugs) to hush it all up. Getting a testing company to go through it would have shown the bugs up there.

The whole thing stinks and I hope they all get a decent wedge out of it all.

remember reading about this in sunday times magazine couple of years ago, made me really angry, its an absolute disgrace.
as mentioned there's been at least one suicide, I hope they get amply compensated ( again to late foe some ) but id ike to see retribution , ie private prosecutions and dismissals , incarceration where appropriate - people shouldn't be allowed to walk around free as though nothings happened.

Back