Post Ashes Thread

I think Sibley's numbers after his two centuries this week (one a double) starting to become impossible to ignore.

He's at near 42 for career average now, with nearer 70 than 60 for the season. He's 23 and should be looked at on those numbers. Might not work, but they are better numbers than anyone but Burns has put up to win a crack.

I think he has certainly deserved a go especially after this week

I think Sibley's numbers after his two centuries this week (one a double) starting to become impossible to ignore.

He's at near 42 for career average now, with nearer 70 than 60 for the season. He's 23 and should be looked at on those numbers. Might not work, but they are better numbers than anyone but Burns has put up to win a crack.

i think its clear he deserves a go. His county average and form is great but i'm more swayed by stuff I have read lately about his game and his mental approach from yourself and people within the game such as Stewart and Ramprakash than the stats itself.

i think its clear he deserves a go. His county average and form is great but i'm more swayed by stuff I have read lately about his game and his mental approach from yourself and people within the game such as Stewart and Ramprakash than the stats itself.

Yes, the Times article was very encouraging. I've never seen him bat in red ball - seen him in the blast - so that and the numbers are all I have to go on. But as far as the numbers go would seem very silly to go with Crawley, who looks like he could do with another season or so working on his game and piling up the runs. They say he is very talented, but there is such a thing as too soon even when someone is very talented.

Rather than get stuck in the end of the 5th test thread thought it might be good to start a thread to reflect on the series overall.

Personally, England had the better team but too much being under prepared and muddled thinking with batting line ups was our undoing.
1 absolutely unreal Stokes innings aside, smith was the difference between the two sides. Labuschagne made a good understudy to him as well in fairness.

Denly needs to be moved down the order and a new opener brought in ( Dominic Sibley is the name everyone is talking about.) Root needs to come in at 4 so perhaps have Denly at 3. Ollie Pope could possibly come in at 5. Stokes' position is pretty safe at 6.

Bairstow is out of form with the bat and not top of his game as a keeper, so perhaps it is time to give Foakes a go at 7. After that it is bowlers with Woakes, Broad, Archer and leach (unless Anderson is fit?)

Then change the bowling order for Srilanka and bring in Abdil Rachid and Moeen Ali to make best use of their pitches. Stokes and either broad or Archer can be kept in the team to make use of the new ball before turning to the spinners.

1 absolutely unreal Stokes innings aside, smith was the difference between the two sides. Labuschagne made a good understudy to him as well in fairness.

Denly needs to be moved down the order and a new opener brought in ( Dominic Sibley is the name everyone is talking about.) Root needs to come in at 4 so perhaps have Denly at 3. Ollie Pope could possibly come in at 5. Stokes' position is pretty safe at 6.

Bairstow is out of form with the bat and not top of his game as a keeper, so perhaps it is time to give Foakes a go at 7. After that it is bowlers with Woakes, Broad, Archer and leach (unless Anderson is fit?)

Then change the bowling order for Srilanka and bring in Abdil Rachid and Moeen Ali to make best use of their pitches. Stokes and either broad or Archer can be kept in the team to make use of the new ball before turning to the spinners.

Anderson unlikely to be fit NZ tour.

Buttler says in the side for me he has batted pretty well his last 4 innings and has looked good.

Buttler says in the side for me he has batted pretty well his last 4 innings and has looked good.
I like him as a cricketer and think he may be an OK option as captain if we were to take it off root, could we give him the gloves for a test match though? Would foakes' skill with the gloves be worth more than Buttler's better batting?

Or forget bringing Pope back (at least for New Zealand) and have Stokes 5, Buttler 6 and Foakes 7?

Denly white ball contract, ummm why....
Plunkett, willey and hales no contract. Think plunkett will retire but harsh on willey

I like him as a cricketer and think he may be an OK option as captain if we were to take it off root, could we give him the gloves for a test match though? Would foakes' skill with the gloves be worth more than Buttler's better batting?

Or forget bringing Pope back (at least for New Zealand) and have Stokes 5, Buttler 6 and Foakes 7?

Yeah possibly but my preferred option would be Buttler 7 and keeping and given licence to play his shots and could be very useful doing that and plays better than way as well.

Yeah possibly but my preferred option would be Buttler 7 and keeping and given licence to play his shots and could be very useful doing that and plays better than way as well.

Me too. I think Foakes would, over time, have a higher average than Buttler in that slot, but if you are moving to imo a more sensible top six - with proper red-ball batsman like Pope, Sibley etc (or at least trying them) then you can afford to have someone in at 7 who can change a game in a session. Buttler looks better placed than Bairstow to do this atm.

U-turning a bit on this from mid-way through the Ashes, but I think Buttler showed some real graft towards the end of the series.

Gutted Ali might not play test cricket again, he is a quality bowler

The door is open to come back in Sri Lanka, but sounds ike Giles had to persuade himto keep the door open and not retire from it
Harsher on Plunkett than Willey for me. T20 WC next year should be something he's close to for me.

Big fan of Plunkett but his role in the 50 side doesn't really translate into T20 cricket

I
How on earth has Denly got a white ball contract.

Ali should have a test one before a white ball one too

Plunkett and Wiley hard done by

Its because he will be in all the T20 squads, got a great record in that over the world last few years, he defs merits being in the squad, world cup isnt that far away

read Giles comments, he is only allowed to hand out a certain amount of contracts, considering in a years time you can't say for sure if in the test XI, this gives him room for manoeuvre to bring in another test player, like Sibley or whoever,

He is just playing the rules and system a bit, which I think is fair enough

Been through Ali, he is a gun T20 player, read the article on him in Cricviz, middle overs against spin he has one of best records in the world and handy bowler too, will 100% be one of the first names on our team sheet in the T20 team and the build up to the world cup

he has stepped away from red ball cricket, the only reason he didn't get one
I think what people don't give credit to, lack of patience or whatever, is how much ODI cricket the all format players have played, and how little time they have had to practice red ball

Root, Bairstow, Buttler, Stokes, Roy, Ali

Some have performed better than others, some will be better at adapting, but its effected all of them, they are are all (bar Roy) proven red ball players, but they ain;t robots, some of them before the Ashes hadn't played a red ball game in 6 months, how can they be expected just to go and start from ball one

What I want to see now is players rested for ODI series, given the chance to play county games, or even 4 day games abroad in preperation for tests

Its been totally ignore last 4 years, rightly so, but now is priority

Is it any coincidence that Jos Buttler looked the part in the last 2 games rather than the first 2? no.

Mo Ali had the most wickets in the world in the previous 12 months, in the world!! then he has an extended time off, no red ball games for months, and he is bowling on day 1 of an Ashes, its hard for him just to turn it on like.

I feel like fans just want an automatic world class ODI and test side without any thought of how hard it is to achieve that. Players get criticised far too much for me.

Ali now stepping back from red ball cricket for at least 6 months,

Roy discagrded

Bairstow aboyt to be dropped

Root averaging 35 over 12 months

All bar Roy are excellent red ball players, we need to be less hard them, don't write them off as cricketers, and realise they were coming from period of white ball dominance.

Last edited:

Back