Post a video of the footballer that first made you love football

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy Hughes man!
Those were the days!
On his day, he was as good, (if not better) as George Best. (probably could match him, pint for pint, too)
Pacy, charismatic, sublime skill, and scored goals too.
A great player, who I feel privileged to have seen, playing for the Lads, in his prime.

There's been some interesting examples from differing age groups. I'm nearly 69 and my first idol was George Herd in the early 60's but that all changed when we signed Jim Baxter from Rangers. Slim Jim as he was known, elegant, classy, cocky and the best passer of a ball, the best body swerve,the best left foot that I've seen.
Pele once said he wished Baxter had been born in Brazil.
Alex Ferguson said his left foot was like a wand.
"It's Baxter of Sunderland " Kenneth Wolstenholme's astonishment as he played keepy uppy against England in 1967.
His biggest enemy, like Best was the drink. Bacardi and coke.
He still performed miracles after being tight the night before -- Sunderland 3-0 Newcastle springs to mind.
Unfortunately I don't know how to post a video .
Eddie gray for me
Eddie Gray said he copied his style on Jim Baxter his idol.

Last edited:

Hughes and Tueart v Vasas Budapest in Cup Winners Cup. See Tueart dribble from his own half.
I mentioned the Tueart solo goal, last week.
T'is a thing of beauty.

I've just got the Ray Agar, book, Five go Mad, in Budapest.
It's about five Sunland fans, who travel behind, the Iron Curtain, to see SAFC, play in European competition, for the first time, in the European Cup Winners Cup, against Vasas Budapest.
It's on sale through ALS, for £10, and is a cracking read, so far. 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back